The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"Well, you said "blank canvas""
Posted by weltek on 04-07-10 at 08:10 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-07-10 AT 08:11 PM (EST)

My previous experience with crepes has not been overwhelmingly positive. They always seemed "spongy" to me and bland. I wasn't overly excited to make these, but I decided I'd go in with low expectations and do my best to make them to my taste. Having said that, Frodis is my new favorite person. The batter was easier to work with than my one previous attempt. Perhaps it was the advice to let it sit and the gluten to develop? Anyway, on with the cooking:

Crepe batter
I cut the recipe in half so I could futz with the flavor. I made a thyme and garlic batter with a little less sugar than it called for. Perfecto! Sure, they weren't perfect circles, but that's ok. It's so important to get them thin, and this recipe did it perfectly.

Filling
I can't just leave well enough alone. I did everything per recipe, plus added about 4 strips of bacon and some salt. I added gorgonzola upon filling the crepes.

Cream sauce
I only had skim milk, so I knew it would be a little wimpy. So, I added garlic, smoked paprika, a little chipotle and more pepper.

This was soooooo rich and savory. The flavors are still dancing in my mouth.

Notes
-The prep time was about an hour.
-Kudos also go to Frodis for concocting a recipe with really simple ingredients. I didn't have to shop for a thing! This also tempted me to play more.
-I would think kids could have fun helping fill these
-Next time, I'd make a little more filling. I had three leftover crepes. We just ate them plain, as the flavorings really made them a snack in themselves.

I'm actually looking forward to the dessert ones! It will be a good excuse to use my special balsamic that I'm rationing out....almost to the point of not using it. I think I'll "season" the batter with orange peel, nutmeg and cinnamon.

My completely uninspired picture...no fancy garnish. Note the pinky colored chipotle sauce and gorgonzola.

-A Tribetastic Creation

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •