The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"Results"
Posted by Karchita on 01-12-10 at 05:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-10 AT 00:38 AM (EST)

I made this last night and thought it was quite good. I kinda-sorta followed the recipe, opting for:

peanut oil –I think it makes a difference
tamarind paste – I had to go to an Asian grocery store to get it, but I didn’t want to use ketchup. I do think that, as with the peanut oil, the details make the difference.
soy sauce – DH has fish sauce issues.
16 oz of noodles instead of 12 – I used the whole package
2 eggs instead of 3- seemed like enough, even with the extra noodles
2 cups of bean sprouts instead of 1- Again, I used the whole package.
a bottled Thai peanut satay sauce (from Trader Joe’s) instead of chopped peanuts – I had the sauce on hand and I didn’t want to buy a whole bottle of peanuts for this recipe and then have those little calorie bombs sitting around and calling to me from the cupboard with their little, seductive peanutty voices … eat me, eat me.
And I tossed in a cup or so of mushrooms because I had them and everything is better with ‘shrooms, right?
I also tossed in some frozen peas and julienned carrots for extra color (without shrimp it was bland looking) and to ramp up the veggie factor.

Problems:
1. I overdid the tamarind paste. I bought a concentrate and I think 1 teaspoon instead of 2 would have been plenty. My mistake; I should have trusted my intuition when I was measuring it out and thinking that it looked like a lot.
2. The noodles were hard to stir and mix with the sauce. After I put them in the sauté pan, they turned into a stubborn, gelatinous blob although they eventually cooked ok after I added more oil. I think I let them soak in the hot water for too long and possibly had too many of them in too small of a pan.
3. Next time I would make it with shrimp or chicken. I like tofu, but it would be better with something more, I thought.

Results:
This made a ton, about 6 generous servings. It was good, but not restaurant quality. I think I would be much happier with how it turned out if I hadn’t put so much tamarind in. Before I eat the leftovers, I may stir in a bit of ketchup or tomato paste to try to tone it down. I have to say that considering the time spent shopping, cooking, and cleaning up, in the future I will probably opt for the $7.95 deal down the street but it was fun to try.

Thanks for the recipe, Snidget. I do like a cooking adventure and that is what this was. I’m looking forward to hearing how others fared.

If anyone has any ideas for using up a whole lot of very powerful tamarind paste, I am all ears.

Edited because I forgot about the peas.

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •