The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"OTCC - Braised Short Ribs"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-20-09 at 10:18 AM
Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine Gravy

You need a good part of a day to prepare and cook this recipe, but it is easy and worth the effort! With all the snow storms we have been getting, this is a perfect dish to cozy up to in the winter. You can dress it up or down too. The first time I had this was at a friend’s house at a dinner party. It was on the cover of the October Bon Appetit magazine, but this time when I made it, DS and 3 friends showed up and chowed down, thinking it was the best thing they’d had in months (granted I was competing with dormitory food!) There are lots of places where you can change the recipe so I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I served it with mashed potatoes.

6 lbs. 3-inch long meaty beef short ribs
Coarse kosher salt
¼ c. all purpose flour
½ c. olive oil, divided
3 c. chopped onions
3 c. cubed peeled turnip
2 c. chopped peeled carrots
2 c. chopped celery
8 garlic cloves, peeled
¼ lb. sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), cut into pieces
¼ c. fresh thyme sprigs
5 large fresh sage sprigs
5 bay leaves
2 cups dry red wine
4 cups chicken broth
Balsamic vinegar (optional)

Prep time about 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place ribs on rimmed baking sheet: sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over; toss to coat. Heat ¼ cup oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook ribs until browned all over, about 10 minutes per batch. Return to sheet. Wipe out pot. Add remaining ¼ c. oil to pot. Add onions and next four ingredients; cook until tender, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and next 3 ingredients, stir to coat. Return ribs to pot, placing on sides to fit in a single layer. Add wine, simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Add broth; cover and bring to a simmer. Transfer pot to oven and braise until ribs are tender, about 2 hours. (I think that you could also cook this in a crock pot.) After 2 hours, I turned the oven down to 250 F and let it cook for another half an hour or until its getting close to dinner time. You can let it braise for quite a while.

Take pot from oven and let it stand, covered for 15 minutes. Carefully transfer the ribs to a large bowl. Remove herb sprigs. (At this point you can use an immersion blender to blend everything together; I leave the gravy and vegetables as is.) Spoon fat from surface. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper and a few drops of balsamic, if desired. Return ribs to gravy; rewarm if necessary. Mangia!

Dash Away by Agman - bobbled by Tribe

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •