The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"Yum!"
Posted by frodis on 12-30-09 at 07:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-30-09 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

I finally had an opportunity to give this one a go today. I had lots of leftover potatoes from Christmas Eve and I happened to pick up some leeks at the store last time I was there. Both kids went for a nap around noon so I had the kitchen to myself, so I figured, now or never!

Look, mise-en-place! With photos! I never have my act together enough to do mise-en-place, much less take pictures of it.

My changes/substitutions:
- I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil. I don't really like vegetable oil. Olive oil worked fine.

- I didn't have fresh herbes, and I didn't have thyme, but I did have a spice blend called Parisian Bonnes Herbes which has dill and other stuff in it which seemed appropriate.

- I used white pepper instead of black.

- I used 6 potatoes. Three russet and three yukon gold. I like mixing up the potato population.

- For the stock I used two tablespoons of this concentrated vegetable soup base mixed into two cups of hot water. My dad gave me an assortment of different concentrated soup bases for Christmas and I was delighted to find that vegetable was among them.

- I used a combo of heavy cream and 2% milk, and I did not put it into the crockpot. I think I've read that milk/cream doesn't do well in a crock pot so I saved it and added it when I blended it all up.

- I threw in about a tablespoon of prepared horseradish. I just think it goes well with potatoes. It was not really detectable in the finished product except I do think it added just a hint of bite to it, which I really like.

I sauteed the leeks and onions together, like several other folks did. I did them low and slow so it was more of a sweat than a sautee so they didn't really turn brown. I then removed them to the crock and deglazed the pan.

At this point I decided to add the potatoes to the pan with the stock and par-boil them for a little while. I was afraid that I hadn't left myself enough time to really cook them well in the crock pot so I decided to give them a jump-start. I boiled them for about 10 minutes in the stock - they didn't really get soft but they weren't super crunchy anymore either.

After the par-boil I threw everything into the crock pot and let it go for 4 hours on high.

When it was done I used the immersion blender to zhuuzh it all up into smooth, creamy deliciousness. (I zhuuzhed, added the cream/milk, and zhuuzhed again.)

I poured it into a taster mug and had a bite. Delicious. Then, I decked it out a bit with some crumbled bacon (leftover from yesterday's spinach salad with bacon dressing) some grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, a dallop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of chives.

Edited to add: I just realized that the above photo looks like Yosemite Sam's face in the mug. *snort*

Really yummy. Really, really yummy.

My daughter asked for a taste. She then asked for her own bowl. Then, a second bowl. So, this is toddler approved! I also gave my 9-month old a taste since he kept trying to grab the spoon from my hand. He liked it, too.

Thanks, Slicey! This one may have to make an appearance as a starter for a holiday meal!

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •