The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-02-07, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
I do everything I do with what I can get for free.

I use the photo processing that came with the digital camera to resize stuff (I can put in the exact pixels rather than have to guess the percentage). I add text in paint, I have a freeware animation program. I google search for free pictures/gifs/clip are, etc.

If I were to invest in software or buy any clip art types of things do people have any recommendations, and what functionality can I get that I don't have.

Also anything you would say not to bother spending money on because it ain't worth the price. Also any decent freeware recommendations also welcome.

Mostly I'd like to be able to play with the word art a bit more and the Microsoft Works that came with the computer doesn't do much. Put the shadow behind the words, etc.

Summertribe and the living is easy!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... foonermints 07-02-07 1
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... Seana 07-02-07 2
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... RollDdice 07-02-07 3
   RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... Snidget 07-02-07 4
       RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... RollDdice 07-02-07 5
           RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... agman 07-03-07 14
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... tribephyl 07-02-07 6
   RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... sharnina 07-02-07 7
       RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... mysticwolf 07-03-07 15
           RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... RollDdice 07-03-07 16
           RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... sharnina 07-03-07 19
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... Sunny_Bunny 07-02-07 8
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... syren 07-02-07 9
   RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... agman 07-02-07 11
 For stills and anims IceCat 07-02-07 10
   RE: For stills and anims agman 07-03-07 21
       It's very... very simple IceCat 07-03-07 22
 RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... KeithFan 07-02-07 12
   RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... agman 07-03-07 13
       RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... RollDdice 07-03-07 17
           RE: Question for the pixel pushers/... sharnina 07-03-07 18
 Another thought KeithFan 07-03-07 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
Mee Too! *sits next to Snidget in PixelLand*

Handcrafted by RollDice

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
I have Adobe Photoshop Elements, which I got for free and have no idea what it cost. I like it very much, but have nothing to compare it to. It comes with all kinds of spiffy bevels and shadows, as well as lighting effects and ripple effects.

I get fonts at http://www.1001freefonts.com/

Not much help, I guess.

RollDdice 5949 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
The Creative Suite 3 Master Collection from Adobe is only $2500.00*. It has all of the bells and whistles.

Yes, it's outrageous. Welcome to Adobe.

* holds sides and laughs uncontrollably as I stumble out of the thresd.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
I'm not that obsessed.

Summertribe and the living is easy!

yet.

07-02-07, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
Yes, but the Master Collection gives you ICBM launch codes and allows for world domination. RGB or CMYK... you decide.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-07, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
>Yes, but the Master Collection gives
>you ICBM launch codes and
>allows for world domination. RGB
>or CMYK... you decide.

*Snort* wipes coffee off computer screen

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
I wish I could give you a straight answer about pricing and such, but seeing as how all of my programs were given as gifts to me, I cannot give advise on the exact pricing of the programs I use.

That said. I use Photoshop CS, ImageReady and Illustrator.
All of these give me way too many options for creative abilities with fonts (etc.), I spend all sorts of time playing with the effects available to me. And even though I hear they're in the HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS bracket, I wouldn't be without them.

No gradients? Or shading? Or stroking? Oh my.

sharnina 3083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-02-07, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
These are the same programs I use but mostly Photoshop. I also buy a membership to clipart.com for a lot of my images. Google Images is very helpful as well.

But it should probably be said that I use these things for much more than sig making. My husband is a part-time freelance graphic designer and I am a very part-time sort-of designer. We both get paid (he much more than I) to do various projects so it behooves us to have these programs and access to a variety of images.

Brought to life by Snidget.
Words must be weighed and not counted.

Shar's World

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-07, 00:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
LAST EDITED ON 07-03-07 AT 00:42 AM (EST)

Nice to know. I'm already planning to pick your brain, and Dna's, and any others available when we're in Seattle. After that? If anyone's game to help answer questions or tweak something? I may start a thread asking for help. The presentation has to be done by mid-Sept. So I have a little time for a learning curve. I just may need a push over a hill or two.

The Toledo Zoo has been selected, for the first time, to do the primary paper and presentation for the AZAD (American Zoological and Aquariums Docent) meeting this year in St. Louis. It's a major honour in this particular world. (We're still hoping to figure out how we might be able to afford to attend.)

As the resident computer geeks, dh and I (mostly I in this particular area of geekdom) have been selected to put together the PowerPoint presentation. My geeky graphics side is a little squeaky from underuse lately.

I'm bringing my laptop and am hoping to pick some brains (if time and peeps willingness permits) to maybe pick up a bit of help figuring out how to do photo montages for some of the slides.

I have Corel 6.0 (which I used to be really good at) and Adobe Photoshop 5.0 (which I haven't really used at all) as my primary packages. I'm more experienced creating my own graphics (or combining prefab pieces) in Corel than manipulating photos.

For this project I'll be working with photos. So, I'm hoping that at least one of you photographic whizzes might be willing to take a little time to give me a quick tutorial. Particularly if you're already familiar with Photoshop.

Shar's summer
blogging's scary

*grins and looks pleadingly* *crosses fingers*

Edit to correct for which pixel pushers are supposed to be at the peep meet.

07-03-07, 02:01 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
Please check your PM for a red wavy.

07-03-07, 02:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
No problem. I plan on having my laptop with me as well.

Shar's World

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
Can I just step in here and say AGAIN how much I appreciate all you pixel pushers? Since I am graphic design impaired, I really appreciate all that you do for us.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
I have tried most of the reasonable programs...and I can honestly say for me Photoshop is just more difficult than a program like Jasc Paint Shop Pro. I still use version 8, and it came with Animation Shop.

I love these programs. Very rarely do I use anything else. Even more rare is when I use Adobe photoshop. And Jasc has got these picture tubes, that are great. Many are user made and really you can find anything and it not have that clip art look.

So, if I were to suggest to anyone a great program for making siggies, it would have to be Paint Shop Pro.

What?

07-02-07, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"

I've been trying to use Adobe Photoshop 5, but I just don't have enough time to sit and play with it. Tribe has helped me, but the layers are still difficult to work with. I do most of mine on picture it!

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 10:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "For stills and anims"
I don't use anything else...

http://www.ulead.com/store/ga/runme.htm

07-03-07, 11:34 AM (EST)
21. "RE: For stills and anims"
>I don't use anything else...
>
>http://www.ulead.com/store/ga/runme.htm

How difficult is this program to learn? Do you think it's too much if you're not animating yet?

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-07, 08:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "It's very... very simple"

You could become functional with it in a few days to a week.

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 11:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
I've tried the free versions of just about everything out there. I've settled on Photoshop Elements. I'm just about to upgrade to 5 from 4 because if you can take picture in the RAW format (it's awesome) 5 is better. So for $80-90 you get a program that does everything you will ever need unless you are a very serious pro.

The thing of it is, you have to work with whatever program you choose. A lot. You need to know what it can do. I've had 4 over a year and I'm still learning new techniques.

07-03-07, 00:05 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
LAST EDITED ON 07-03-07 AT 00:06 AM (EST)

>The thing of it is, you
>have to work with whatever
>program you choose. A lot.
>You need to know what
>it can do. I've
>had 4 over a year
>and I'm still learning new
>techniques.

Word!

07-03-07, 02:10 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
Yes, Word is difficult.

Personally, I'm using Adobe's Creative Suite 2, which includes Photoshop, Image Ready and Illustrator. Then add in Flash and Dreamweaver (formerly Macromedia, now a part of Adobe).

Let's not forget After Effects for motion graphics.
(I'm also teaching myself Combustion for motion graphics, Premiere Pro, Avid Symphony, and Final Cut Pro for video editing and Maya for 3D.)

07-03-07, 02:20 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Question for the pixel pushers/siggie makers"
You and my DH would have a ball talking graphics programs. He's also a web designer and uses Dreamweaver for that along with Adobe CS2. It still scares me - I have to have him sitting right next to me whenever I need to make a change to my little cake website. He hasn't used Flash very much but that's just an issue of not really having spent much time with it yet. He is completely self taught on all that he does.

LOL - and I agree, Word is difficult.

Shar's World

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-07, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Another thought"
I'd go to http://www.flickr.com/ and search your camera model. There is probably a group dedicated to people who just use that particular model, and are good at using it. I get lots of good tips from there.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •