The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Preakness"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-21-11, 05:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Preakness"
Am I the only race fan?
Actually we only watch 3 races every year.
This is #2

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Preakness Molaholic 05-21-11 1
 RE: Preakness Starshine 05-21-11 2
   we watch jbug 05-21-11 3
 RE: Preakness jbug 05-21-11 4
   US Triple Crown AyaK 05-23-11 5
       RE: US Triple Crown Rebel Crown 05-23-11 6
           RE: US Triple Crown AyaK 05-24-11 7
               RE: US Triple Crown Rebel Crown 05-24-11 8
           RE: US Triple Crown PepeLePew13 05-24-11 9
               RE: US Triple Crown AyaK 05-24-11 10
 Belmont Stakes susang 06-11-11 11
   Well that was interesting moonbaby 06-11-11 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-11, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Preakness"
Am I the only race fan?
Actually we only watch 3 races every year.
This is #2

Me too.

I'm hoping for a Triple Crown winner this year (another sign of the Apocalypse, perhaps...)

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-21-11, 06:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Preakness"
1000 Guineas
2000 Guineas
The Derby
The Oaks
The St. Leger
The Grand National

Trying to work out which ones you don't watch...

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

05-21-11, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "we watch"
KY Derby
Preakness
Belmont

Triple Crown races.

05-21-11, 06:28 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Preakness"
Animal Kingdom lost by only 3/4 length.
Another year without a TC winner.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-11, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "US Triple Crown"
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-11 AT 07:28 PM (EST)

I was certain that the US Triple Crown would be won during the 1990s. In three straight years, exceptional horses (Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Charismatic) won the first two legs of the Triple Crown but got edged in the Belmont by horses that had skipped at least one of the prior two legs (Charismatic because he broke his leg in his last strides and was fortunate to survive; Real Quiet because he went out so frickin' fast and couldn't hang on).

Then, about 10 years ago, we finally had another "superhorse", Point Given, but he got blocked in the Derby (with the typical huge field) and only finished fith, before dominating the next two races.

Since then, I've felt that a Triple Crown winner will be a fluke. We haven't seen a real superhorse since Point Given, and this year was no different.

Rebel Crown 1411 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-23-11, 10:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rebel%20Crown Click to send private message to Rebel%20Crown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: US Triple Crown"
<<Since then, I've felt that a Triple Crown winner will be a fluke. We haven't seen a real superhorse since Point Given, and this year was no different.>>

Not necessarily a fluke. I'd call it a rare event, difficult to attain, something more along that line. To win 3 long, grueling races (2 of which are distances the horse had never run) in a 5-week span when normally you'd have a 3-5 weeks in between each, that's tough thing to pull off, even for a great horse. It takes a very, VERY special horse to accomplish it, along with other things (training, racing luck, jockey choice, etc.)

We've been spoiled by having 3 Triple Crown winners in our lifetime (4, if one was born before 1948). Maybe Seattle Slew and Affirmed were the flukes, lol. Certainly, Secretariat wasn't. Anyway, just had to delurk to disagree with AyaK .

05-24-11, 01:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: US Triple Crown"
I'm just thrilled to have someone to talk horse racing with.

I agree that Seattle Slew was lucky to win the Triple Crown. I doubt that it would have happened if it had been 14 years after "Big Red" instead of 4. But Affirmed and Alydar were the perfect combination to scare off challengers. We saw that again in 1989 with Sunday Silence and Easy Goer. The difference there was that Easy Goer was actually the better horse and proved it in the Belmont, while Alydar just couldn't pass Affirmed for some reason only another horse would know.

I don't really know why thoroughbred racing is in such a slump this decade.

Rebel Crown 1411 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-24-11, 02:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rebel%20Crown Click to send private message to Rebel%20Crown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: US Triple Crown"
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-11 AT 02:58 AM (EST)

The Affirmed and Alydar matchup was very exciting, I agree. I thought Easy Goer had Sunday Silence beaten in the Preakness (the second most exciting races I've ever seen) . Watching the replay, one could see them both giving the "evil eye" to each other, lol.

<<I don't really know why thoroughbred racing is in such a slump this decade>>

Ten years ago, an unusually high number of foals died. http://www.research.uky.edu/odyssey/spring02/foaldeaths.html
This may have contributed to a less than stellar group from which to race and breed over this period. It certainly didn't help.

I follow the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup (the 1987 Breeders' Cup Classic was THE most exciting race I ever saw), but I do love the sport as a whole, and am glad to talk racing with you, AyaK.

Edited to add: The 2 races I mentioned still are not the BEST race ever: The 1973 Belmont transcends everything, for me. I still get chills and teary-eyed watching it. Just wanted to add that.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-11, 03:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: US Triple Crown"
Not much of a racing fan here, but wanted to chime in that I followed Northern Dancer's career as he was trained at Windfield Farms, just down the road from where I grew up. Many thought Northern Dancer would win the Triple Crown rather easily, but he faltered in the Belmont and he ended up retiring a few weeks later with tenderness in his tendon, which may have been a result of the tight racing schedule you alluded to.

Northern Dancer has been called the greatest sire of them all - his bloodlines are all over the racing world and some of his descendents include Sea The Stars, Big Brown and Rachel Alexandra, to give some recent 'big name' horses.

I remember when Northern Dancer passed away - there was a huge banner on the cover of the Toronto Star that was maybe 3 to 4 inches high, something that would typically be reserved for the death of a world leader.

05-24-11, 10:16 AM (EST)
10. "RE: US Triple Crown"
Actually, I'd tend to give the "greatest sire" distinction to his grandfather, Native Dancer, who died at only 19 but was also the grandsire of Alydar and Mr. Prospector.

I'm not revealing anything that isn't already known about my age to say that Northern Dancer is the first racehorse that I actually remember, and I even remember which horse beat him in the Belmont (Quadrangle).

There's no question that his owners made the right choice to retire him for stud at age 3, since he continued to stand until he was 26 (and lived until 29).

susang 429 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

06-11-11, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Belmont Stakes"
I'm looking forward to today's Belmont Stakes, as I had to miss the Preakness. I've been a regular Triple Crown viewer since 2000.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-11, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Well that was interesting"
And the track was a mess with all the rain we've been having around here. Scary moment with Animal Kingdom-how very lucky that horses and riders escaped injury. Watching these races I always dread what could happen.

When I saw how Ruler on Ice was acting right before the race I said to my mom (a big racing fan) that he was the winner The handful of times I've gone to the track I've picked them the same way-unfortunately you can't always get to the betting window in time using that method!

Congrats to the underdog!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •