The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-22-11, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
Say what you will about Walter O'Malley (with the safety net that most of it is locally believed accurate), but at least any books he let the government see eventually balanced out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110421&sportCat=mlb

How are you holding up, Molaholic? And how's the L.A. area taking this in general? (Probably with the usual yawn and 'When did we get a baseball team?')

So my franchise isn't the only one in horrific financial trouble. Good to know.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... Molaholic 04-22-11 1
   RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... kingfish 04-23-11 2
       RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... Molaholic 04-23-11 3
 RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... cahaya 06-27-11 4
   RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... Estee 06-27-11 5
       RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... aethelstan 06-27-11 6
           RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,00... Estee 06-27-11 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-11, 10:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
How are you holding up, Molaholic? And how's the L.A. area taking this in general?

I, for one, am doing just great. I welcome this news with open arms (and, in case you haven't noticed, the Dodgers are 3-0 since Selig's announcement). Most of the fan responses I have read echo my sentiments.

McCourt was never popular here -- he came in with the promise to rescue the franchise from the unfeeling corporate clutches of FOX, only to be dropped head first into a financial quagmire more suited to a certain unnamed major metropolitan area on the east coast (if you know what I mean).

One of the first things he did was change the Dodger uniforms, removing the players' names from the back. What better way to alienate the fan base than make the players unknowns? Next, he jacked the parking fee 33% (from $10 to $15) while instituting a 'directed parking space' scheme. I will not deny the fact that LA fans will flee from games early to beat traffic, but part of the strategy also involved getting the right parking spot - but not now. He even had the cojones to cite the additional staff needed for this foolishness to 'justify' the higher fee!

He then proceeded to splurge on a series of personal foolishness while letting quality talent go unsigned. (We now know that he was misdirecting team funds for this imbroglio...) He dabbled in funding a football stadium in the parking lot, combined with a fanciful housing development/mega mall/almost functional public transportation system.

I had my own close encounter with the man - and he was laughingly rude to me (I was picked to be part of the Opening Day ceremonies in 2009, carrying a large Scottish flag, but Frank was hesitant to have his picture taken with me because he didn't want to 'anger his Irish ancestors'.)
In short - he's done nothing for the basic fan but try to bleed them of their hard earned dollars, and provide fodder for late-night jokesters. Not to mention Jamie (which I won't).

So, bring on the trustee -- and please, Bud, let it Peter O'Malley.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-11, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
Did he ever get his mother's ashes returned?

(Astro's fan here. We refer to the west coast team as the "Hated Dodgers" (goes back to the 60's), but can't help but feel empathy for a fellow fan's pain. We also went thru an owner induced uniform fiasco (the ice cream suits, now discontinued. Shudder.), a new stadium fiasco (Enron stadium, now Minute Maid Park and a great place to go IMO) and a financially induced talent drain that has been underway for the last 30 years or so. We acquire great pitchers, train them, then trade them before free agency. Frustration. I feel your pain).

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-11, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
FWIW I liked Minute Maid Park the two games I saw there (2006). I rank it in the top 6 of the 27 I've visited.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-11, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
Dodgers file for bankruptcy.

The best part of the filing is the list of people to whom the Dodgers owe money including retired slugger Manny Ramirez. The Dodgers say they owe Ramirez $21 million. Vin Scully, the beloved longtime baseball announcer, is owed about $153,000, according to the bankruptcy filing.

06-27-11, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
Can't we just blame Manny for the whole thing? (I'm sure he's willing to take the entire shortfall amount as his due and his alone.) And owing Mr. Scully money should be its own class of sin.

If the team still had a real owner, I'd expect a fire sale that would make the Marlins blush. It's been noted that when you have a team, your only real assets are the stadium & land, players, and your reputation. The reputation is just about shot. The stadium might be able to land a few dollars from naming rights as you simultaneously triple all parking fees. And the players get converted into any trade which ends with 'and cash', throwing them to all corners of the system until you're paying twenty-five freshly-promoted minor leagues the basement minimum. Oh, and just to combine the current trends, you fire your manager, then ask Tommy Lasorda to come back and run the kids out of the goodness of his heart. Plus if he still bleeds Dodger Blue, you'd appreciate it if he'd sell a couple of pints.

But as long as Selig is in control, the team doesn't have anything approaching a real owner. (Neither did the Brewers.) And should the old guard get that control back...

...well, selling all those players should pay for a nice weekend in the Caymans, don'tcha think?

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-27-11, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
I couldn't help but notice that you can't spell selling without s-e-l-i-g.

My guess is that they'll treat this team better than they did the Expos when the league took control of that franchise. ("Tied for wild card lead on Sep 1 and you only need 50K for September call-ups? Sorry, we can't authorize that expenditure right now. That would risk getting a local owner interested and impact our master plan of creating the Washington Senators Part III)

06-27-11, 01:56 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The Dodgers and the $400,000,000 shortfall. "
Kind of makes you look forward to hearing him explain why he rejected the FOX TV deal for the Dodgers, which might ultimately lead to his saying 'I don't see why anyone would want to make three billion dollars anyway' with a completely straight face. Of course, there's one flaw in that anticipation -- he's never going to explain it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •