The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-14-11, 12:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-11 AT 07:23 AM (EST)

If I have to hear one more sportcaster refer to the Thursday games as 'Round Two'...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

And there's your primary source of complaints. The men's tourney pickers and seeders have already had to do some fast explaining about that field, all of which broke down to 'We don't care and if you keep asking us about this, we're going to flunk your kids.' (Eleven Big East teams? Really? Because twelve would have somehow been too many?) The women's committee typically has less explaining to do, mostly because there's fewer people asking questions: we'll get a look at that travesty-to-be shortly.

But in the meantime... well, the TV package may give some people fits. Not only don't free channels cut it any more, but finding the TruTV games may take a little work. (I have it, but it wasn't easy to spot.) And this whole 'First Round' business is more than a little silly. Plus the arrangement of the play-in games... and then there's the billions of dollars that no student will ever benefit from...

Well, at least Billy Packer's still gone.

...then again, there's four channels involved right now. Analysts are at a premium. You don't think...?

*sigh* Duke is a #1 seed, the Patriot League is screwed, and I'm hosting a play-in game in the parking lot. Business as usual. Is it too much to hope for George Mason to kill some more people?

I have a list.

It's not a short list.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... vince3 03-14-11 1
   RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Estee 03-14-11 2
       RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... vince3 03-14-11 3
           RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Estee 03-14-11 4
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... cahaya 03-14-11 5
   RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Estee 03-14-11 7
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... samboohoo 03-14-11 6
   RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Colonel Zoidberg 03-15-11 10
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Snidget 03-14-11 8
 The women's bracket. Estee 03-14-11 9
 First game played vince3 03-15-11 11
   RE: First game played vince3 03-15-11 12
 The logic of the play-ins mrc 03-16-11 13
   The usual way. Estee 03-17-11 14
   RE: The logic of the play-ins aethelstan 03-17-11 16
       RE: The logic of the play-ins mrc 03-18-11 19
 Here we go... Estee 03-17-11 15
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Estee 03-17-11 17
 Arachnophobia. Estee 03-17-11 18
 That about covers it. Estee 03-18-11 20
   RE: That about covers it. Snidget 03-18-11 21
 Toldya So vince3 03-19-11 22
   Mack! cahaya 03-19-11 23
       RE: Mack! Max Headroom 03-19-11 24
           RE: Mack! cahaya 03-20-11 25
               RE: Mack! Max Headroom 03-20-11 27
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Estee 03-20-11 26
 Few minutes left. 90 something to 5... Snidget 03-20-11 28
 Stupid Dook. Estee 03-20-11 29
   RE: Stupid Dook. Snidget 03-20-11 30
       RE: Stupid Dook. Estee 03-20-11 31
 Has anyone seen Purdue? Max Headroom 03-20-11 32
 RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... Estee 03-20-11 33
   RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... cahaya 03-20-11 34
   RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complainin... vince3 03-20-11 35
 Orange crushing. Estee 03-21-11 36
   RE: Orange crushing. mrc 03-21-11 37
 It's now official. Max Headroom 03-25-11 38
   RE: It's now official. samboohoo 03-25-11 39
       RE: It's now official. Max Headroom 03-25-11 40
   Happy Dance!!!! Snidget 03-25-11 41
 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Scuba Steve 03-26-11 42
 Shaka the world!!! ARnutz 03-27-11 43
   RE: Shaka the world!!! Snidget 03-27-11 44
       RE: Shaka the world!!! vince3 03-27-11 45
           RE: Shaka the world!!! ARnutz 03-27-11 46
   RE: Shaka the world!!! samboohoo 03-27-11 47
 The F4 question. Estee 03-28-11 48
   RE: The F4 question. Max Headroom 03-28-11 49
   RE: The F4 question. samboohoo 03-28-11 50
   RE: The F4 question. CTgirl 03-28-11 51
   RE: The F4 question. aethelstan 03-28-11 52
 That many? Estee 03-28-11 53
 Finale summary. Estee 04-05-11 54
   RE: Finale summary. Colonel Zoidberg 04-05-11 55
   RE: Finale summary. cahaya 04-05-11 56

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-11, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
A sign of the cooperation package of the networks: I saw Charles Barkley (normally a TNT NBA desk jockey) on the CBS coverage of the Brackets' introduction...
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

03-14-11, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
So how confident are you feeling, Mr. #1 Seed?

Charles may be looking for a backup line of work.

03-14-11, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
I'm picking them to win in my bracket, but other than that? Not very. This is a team that can literally go out at any time...

They've had moments of greatness and inspiring wins, and other times in which they've had frustrating losses, the last of which to UConn should give them flashbacks to the Elite 8 a few years ago and Vilanova slicing the defense to get the game-winner at the buzzer...

03-14-11, 01:06 PM (EST)
4. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
This is a team that can literally go out at any time

Doing it in their first game would be a neat trick.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-11, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
I'm sure some analyst will be along to explain why there are two play-ins in the East bracket but none in the West.

It alters the bracket symmetry. Thus it has to be illogical.

03-14-11, 05:21 PM (EST)
7. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
I'm no expert, but I can take a guess: it might be because the East has the overall #1 seed. Two play-ins might make that sector weaker and give Ohio State the easier road to the center.

Or at least that might be the excuse of first resort.

samboohoo 17076 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-11, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
Virginia Tech was left out, but I'm not complaining. I think it's funny as heck.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-15-11, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
No one came out with the obvious excuse...that they thought they were writing Tech in, but accidentally wrote Virginia Commonwealth in.

No? Crickets? Well, I tried.

Anywho, anyone who beats Duke is OK with me.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-11, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
*looks at #1 Seeds*

Is it too late to book a vacay where they never heard of basketball?

03-14-11, 09:52 PM (EST)
9. "The women's bracket."
http://a.espncdn.com/i/ncaa/11womens_bracket.pdf

Second Third verse, same as the first. We all wait for UConn's next coronation and we have to go through a few games to get there. Wait until next year, repeat.

03-15-11, 09:03 PM (EST)
11. "First game played"
and it'll take at least one overtime to decide it...

03-15-11, 09:23 PM (EST)
12. "RE: First game played"
UNC-Asheville wins the first game of the Tournament in OT... which is a little deja vu for them... Their first ever Tournament win was also in Dayton, in 2003, in the Opening Round Game/Play-In Game...

mrc 10020 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-11, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "The logic of the play-ins"
Apparently, I'm the only one who doesn't understand the logic of the play-ins. I assumed that the four teams that advanced from those games would play the #1 seeds. That's not happening, so how did the committee decide which teams would play in the First Four and where they would be seeded once they won?

03-17-11, 07:17 AM (EST)
14. "The usual way."
They have this really big dartboard...

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-17-11, 09:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: The logic of the play-ins"
The logic here is that the tournament is filled with automatic qualifiers - the ones who win their league tournaments (or finish first in the case of the Ivy League) and at large candidates. It is common that the at large teams are better than a number of the automatic qualifiers of lesser leagues like the South West Athletic Conference (SWAC) or the Southland Conference.

If they had made the 8 play-in teams the worst 8 teams, then you would just have 8 automatic qualifiers playing each other which was seen as unfair as the automatic qualifiers have earned their way into the tournament by winning their league tourney whereas at large teams are just the best losers (or lucky losers if you prefer the tennis term).

Note that historically, the tournament only had league winners.

The committee decided that half the play in games would be the worst overall teams and the other half would be the worst of the at large teams, commonly referred to as the "last four in". In previous years, the "last four in" were around the 11/12 seed so that's why they are there this year.

Hope this is clear enough.

03-18-11, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The logic of the play-ins"
Thanks.

03-17-11, 07:20 AM (EST)
15. "Here we go..."
Round One begins.

The real Round One.

Accept no substitutes.

03-17-11, 05:12 PM (EST)
17. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
The state of Kentucky may have just come within thirty seconds of the worst first-round day of its collective life. Morehead State takes out one team and the other just barely survives their encounter with Princeton. Beware the #13 seeds, for they are hungry and quick on the cuts.

03-17-11, 06:42 PM (EST)
18. "Arachnophobia."
Say hello to Richmond, also known as The Spectacular Spider-Men.

03-18-11, 05:59 PM (EST)
20. "That about covers it."
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-11 AT 06:01 PM (EST)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/110317_ncaa_tournament_flowchart&sportCat=ncb

03-18-11, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: That about covers it."
This should cover the rest

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sevendaughterswine/5530401888/sizes/l/in/photostream/

03-19-11, 09:28 PM (EST)
22. "Toldya So"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-11 AT 09:33 PM (EST)

Pitt's the first #1 seed out, courtesy of last year's runner-up, Butler.

They went out in a wild and crazy finish that had a dagger shot for Butler, then a foul at half court that tied the game, and on the ensuing 2nd free throw's miss, a foul that gave Butler the lead by 1. The 2nd free throw there was missed, and a desperation shot almost went in... whether or not it would've counted is another matter...

03-19-11, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Mack!"
You moron! You don't foul on the opponent's full-court inbound with 1.8 seconds left and a one point lead! Agggh! *Excruciating game over thoughts*

Ah, a reprieve! The Pitt player misses the second free throw, it's overtime! Oh, wait! Another moron foul, this time by Pitt on the rebound. *swoosh* and win for Butler.

Make that four games in a row in NCAA tournament that Butler gives it's fans last-second entertainment.

Other than that oh-so-stupid foul, Mack had a stellar game. Luckily for him, his team didn't pay the price for his mistake.

I grew up just 3 miles from Butler, so it's obvious who I'm cheering for in this tournament! Having said that, they'll be lucky to make the Final like they did last year.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-11, 10:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Mack!"
Some of us attended a Butler game at Hinkle Fieldhouse this season.

And what a bizarre ending to the game. First there was the boneheaded foul by Mack, then the equally boneheaded foul by the Pitt player. Wow.

03-20-11, 00:30 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Mack!"
Some of us attended a Butler game at Hinkle Fieldhouse this season.

I'd trade an Indiana Loosier ticket for a Butler Bulldog ticket in a heartbeat!

I assumed they weren't available and sold out ages ago!

03-20-11, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Mack!"
I saw the Loosiers in action against Ohio State at Assembly Hall this season. Though Ohio State is a far better opponent than Wisconsin-Green Bay, Butler was a much more fun team to watch than IU.

Despite their successes, Butler tickets are easy to get. I drove to the Hinkle box office two days before the game and bought four tickets for a total of $57 (one was a discounted youth ticket, the other three were the full adult price). Our seats were in the last row of the lower bowl and they had a nice view of the floor.

03-20-11, 01:58 PM (EST)
26. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
There's some beautiful shooting going on in the UNC-Washington game.

(Which partially means there isn't a foul being called every twp seconds.)

03-20-11, 07:08 PM (EST)
28. "Few minutes left. 90 something to 50 some odd"
But we have to delay all of CBS's Primetime because the refs might allow some Harlem Globetrotter repeato shot to get a basket every couple of seconds?

03-20-11, 07:09 PM (EST)
29. "Stupid Dook. "
We all knew this was coming: TAR delayed, probably about 12-15 minutes -- or more if they decide to have a postgame Glory Of Dook show.

I hope it tears Donald's ratings spleen out.

03-20-11, 07:17 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Stupid Dook. "
And here I thought it would just be from Ohio State being too slow with the slaughter I saw going on at 7:01.

03-20-11, 07:35 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Stupid Dook. "
Rule #1: It is Dook's fault.
Rule #2: It is always Dook's fault.
Rule #3: If you feel it is somehow not Dook's fault, you are turning into a Dookie.
Rule #4: They have pills for that.

Dook played earlier in the day. Dook did not get off the court in forty minutes. Therefore, it is Dook's fault. They pushed the poor Buckeyes ahead in the television timestream and made them look like the instigators. Which they weren't. Because? They are not Dook.

I hope that clears everything up for you.

Stupid Dook.

03-20-11, 10:09 PM (EST)
32. "Has anyone seen Purdue?"
They still haven't shown up yet.

*gigglesnort*

03-20-11, 11:20 PM (EST)
33. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
So this is the team some people were picking to be a #1 seed?

Introducing the Feigning Irish.

03-20-11, 11:47 PM (EST)
34. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
The Flighting Irish are catching the next plane out by the looks of it with less than 5:00 to go.

03-20-11, 11:47 PM (EST)
35. "RE: NCAA tourney Week #1 complaining thread."
Yeah, really. They're getting spanked by Florida State...

03-21-11, 03:33 PM (EST)
36. "Orange crushing."
The Volunteers are not having one of their better decades.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6243862

03-21-11, 03:42 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Orange crushing."
That's an understatement. I wonder how volsfan and Wayne are taking the news.

03-25-11, 07:42 AM (EST)
38. "It's now official."
Dook svcks.

03-25-11, 09:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: It's now official."
It's my fault for picking them in the pool. Last year I don't do it, they win the whole darn thing. This year, gone.

03-25-11, 11:07 AM (EST)
40. "RE: It's now official."
A select few of us picked them to win in 2010. If you check the standings of last year's OT NCAA Pick 'em, you'll see a familiar name at the top.

This year? Had them going to the Final 4, but that was it.

03-25-11, 11:43 AM (EST)
41. "Happy Dance!!!!"

Scuba Steve 1644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-26-11, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuba%20Steve Click to send private message to Scuba%20Steve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Did you have to blow it in the Sweet Sixteen again?

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-11, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "Shaka the world!!!"
OMG!!! VCU, an 11 seed from the 'first four' beats the last #1 seed, Kansas, for a trip to the final four!!!

...and if your bracket wasn't shattered already, it has to be now!

03-27-11, 04:56 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Shaka the world!!!"
I suspect that result is going to bust up quite a few brackets.

03-27-11, 05:10 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Shaka the world!!!"
I think that eliminates almost every bracket in both of our Yahoo groups from successfully predicting the champion... I think maybe UNC is the last possible predicted champion...

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-11, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Shaka the world!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 03-27-11 AT 05:19 PM (EST)

Weltek has UConn.

ETA: Ooops, but not as champ. Only as a finals team.

03-27-11, 05:42 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Shaka the world!!!"
Woo Hoo!!!!

Richmond is rocking this weekend!

03-28-11, 00:57 AM (EST)
48. "The F4 question."
Was this a case of Really Big Upsets or more one of Really Bad Seeding?

03-28-11, 07:47 AM (EST)
49. "RE: The F4 question."
I'll take Really Big Upsets for $800, Alex.

03-28-11, 08:40 AM (EST)
50. "RE: The F4 question."
Really Big Upsets. And Really Big Egos.

I love the upsets, not counting VCU. I think it's just been a really, really fun season.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-11, 09:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: The F4 question."
Since Bucknell got stuck playing UConn as a three seed in the first round, I'll say Really Bad Seeding!

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-28-11, 10:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: The F4 question."
Don't really care. This is an awesome final four! We'll except for the John Calipari coached team. Will this final four appearance be vacated too?

And even UConn as a 3-seed. They were the 9-seed going into the Big East tournament!

03-28-11, 12:50 PM (EST)
53. "That many?"
Over six million brackets for the men's tourney were submitted to ESPN's contest.

Two of them had this Final Four.

04-05-11, 07:59 AM (EST)
54. "Finale summary."
A game no one could stand to watch won by a coach no one outside his market can stand.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-05-11, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Finale summary."
My thoughts on this game:

At least it wasn't Dook.

04-05-11, 09:22 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Finale summary."
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear they decreased the rim size for this game. Butler went entire stretches with the ball going *boink* *boink* *boink* without a score.

Oh, well. Their D wasn't all that bad considering how low they kept the score. They just couldn't score.

All things considered, though, they did well to make the final game.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •