The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-15-11, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
*looks at Mets calendar*

*tears out entire year*

*reads up on Ponzi lawsuits*

More headlines in Business than Sports.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Max Headroom 02-15-11 1
   RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! AyaK 02-15-11 2
       RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Estee 02-16-11 3
           RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Max Headroom 02-16-11 5
               RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Estee 02-16-11 6
   RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Estee 02-16-11 4
       RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Molaholic 03-06-11 9
 RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Spanky68 02-16-11 7
 RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report! Estee 03-06-11 8
 So, Estee... Max Headroom 03-06-11 10
   RE: So, Estee... Estee 03-06-11 11
       RE: So, Estee... Max Headroom 03-08-11 14
           RE: So, Estee... Estee 03-08-11 15
               Shea bondt007 03-12-11 17
 False Hope vince3 03-06-11 12
 You also buy the lawsuit. Estee 03-07-11 13
 I like Ike. Max Headroom 03-11-11 16
   And Carlos Beltran too. Max Headroom 03-15-11 18
 Mets release Oliver Perez. Estee 03-21-11 19
   RE: Mets release Oliver Perez. vince3 03-21-11 20
   The good news. Max Headroom 03-21-11 21
   RE: Mets release Oliver Perez. Spanky68 03-21-11 22
       RE: Mets release Oliver Perez. Estee 03-21-11 24
   RE: Mets release Oliver Perez. PepeLePew13 03-21-11 23
       RE: Mets release Oliver Perez. Estee 03-21-11 25
       RE: Mets release Oliver Perez. Max Headroom 03-21-11 26
 'There's bad news and good news...' Estee 03-22-11 27
 The new 7-day DL. Estee 03-29-11 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-11, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
*head tilt*

You don't want to watch the $130 million Mets? Just think like a Cubs fan: Wait until next year! At that time they'll be rid of the bloated contracts of Oliver Perez, Carlos Beltran, K-Rod, and Luis Castillo, which should allow them to get some non-washed-up players.

Look at the bright side-- at least they don't have Milton Bradley.

Proud supporter of futility since 1993.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-11, 10:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
You know, to me, the classic symbol of Mets' management is Pedro Martinez. After the 2004 championship season for the Red Sox, Pedro was a free agent. The Sox' doctors, who had also had Pedro's brother Ramon at the end of his career, said that Pedro's shoulder was every bit as bad as Ramon's when Ramon had to retire; they felt that it would be a miracle if Pedro got through two more injury-free years.

Pedro had made it clear that, if the money was equal, he'd come back to Boston, but if someone else offered him more, he's leave. The Sox offered him a two-year contract with a third year that would vest automatically if he met certain targets on innings and ERA. His agent said that the amount per year was OK but that someone else had made a better offer. The Sox didn't really believe it, considering how bad Pedro's shoulder was, but they finally decided to guarantee the third year because Pedro was so popular, and Sox management flew to the Dominican Republic to tell him. He still said he had a better offer. The Sox told him to take it.

It was from the Mets, for four years, and he did take it. In those four years, Pedro pitched for slightly over two, going on the injured list about halfway through his second year and not returning healthy until his fourth year, which he only managed to pitch about half of.

In other words, the Sox' medical evaluation was completely accurate. But the Mets could not have cared less about the risk. That seems to me to be the Mets' way: pay top price but ignore potential physical problems.

02-16-11, 08:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
And there's just no way you're ever going to extend that idea to include Madoff, now is there?

This is a lost year. They're being sued for a billion dollars -- a literal billion, thankee. The team can't afford to sign, there's nothing to really trade with without giving up what little farm system we still have, all those ridiculous contracts have to expire, everyone approached about bailout share purchases wants a majority, and now Donald Trump is sniffing around hoping to be the first to take a vulture's bite out of any resulting corpse. At best, the blue & orange get to appreciate the drama of seventy wins while hoping the court doesn't wind up increasing ticket prices to Yankee levels and beyond. The semi-realistic worst-case? Trump. The New York Trumps.

It would take the world's most rabid Mets-hater to believe we deserve that.

(And in the realm of Yankee happy dreams? Goodbye franchise. Virtually impossible, but they're going to wish for it. Wonder who the judge likes...)

Personally, all I've got this season is the joy of finally having a signed, sealed, and delivered knuckleball pitcher to call my own. At least until his paycheck bounces. That'll happen after Trump takes over. On purpose. Because fastballs are glamorous.

*sigh* And from the record, I was against the Pedro signing on Day One.

02-16-11, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
all those ridiculous contracts have to expire

In the "misery loves company" category, I think the Cubs are in worse shape than the Mets. Their collection of grossly-overpaid, washed-up players includes Kosuke Fukudome, Alfonso Soriano (4 years, $72M left), Carlos Zambrano, Carlos Silva, and Aramis Ramirez. If you Google the word "albatross", a pdf version of the Soriano contract is the first link at the top of the page.

I live in an area with many Cubs fans and take great delight in tormenting them.

02-16-11, 12:06 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
If you Google the word "albatross", a pdf version of the Soriano contract is the first link at the top of the page.

Not quite, but you can get a Faux News health care 'article' on page one.

So how are the Rockies looking at this overly hopeful time of year?

02-16-11, 09:45 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
Milton Bradley

He's currently SherpaDave's problem. And he can stay there.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

03-06-11, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
Milton Bradley

Yep. He's a gamer.

It HAS to be said.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

02-16-11, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
I am a lifelong Texas Rangers fan. This feeling of going into a season with a reasonable hope of winning the division and possibily making it back to the World Series is so wonderful.

Bring on opening day!

Agman made this fancy sig for me

03-06-11, 02:21 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Pitchers & catchers -- report!"
The Mets are trying out a pitcher named Boof Bonser.

I wanted to mention this because it was probably the only chance I'd ever have to say 'Boof Bonser'.

03-06-11, 07:54 PM (EST)
10. "So, Estee..."
What about Ike Davis? Does the kid have any game?

A fantasy baseball draft choice is riding on your answer.

03-06-11, 08:07 PM (EST)
11. "RE: So, Estee..."
I don't know what your league's requirements/goals are or how you plan on using him. If you can deal with the 81-game power killer than is CitiField, he could make for a decent bench player who'll give you a few surprise numbers here and there. If you need home runs and RBIs in giant bunches, no Met will ever fit your requirements until the stadium is torn down.

Do you need a knuckleballer?

03-08-11, 08:53 AM (EST)
14. "RE: So, Estee..."
Thanks for your thoughts. This league's draft is by email, and my turn is coming up soon. (I've seen glaciers move faster than this draft, but that's another story.) Based on your comments about Citi Field, I assume you think that Carlos Beltran and Jason Bay both have limited upside?

03-08-11, 09:38 AM (EST)
15. "RE: So, Estee..."
Look at the stadium's overall production numbers: home team and visitors combined. If Shea was where power hitters went to die, Citi is the place you send the bodies to be cremated. Batters with decent aim can make a doubles living in the place, but the speed and placement needed to turn it into a triples paradise hasn't manifested -- and getting the ball over the fence is Mission Really Bloody Improbable. The dominant theory of park design seems to have been 'If we can't hit any, then you can't either.' (The first part works best.)

bondt007 3358 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-12-11, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Shea"
Just ordered this from Amazon:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262986/

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-06-11, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "False Hope"
Pirates are 6-5 so far in Spring Training, including a win over the Yankees...

03-07-11, 08:40 PM (EST)
13. "You also buy the lawsuit."
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6190028

Um...

03-11-11, 11:41 PM (EST)
16. "I like Ike."
Total Mets drafted on my NL-only fantasy baseball team: 2

Ike Davis, Francisco "The Fighter" Rodriguez.

And there's still 13 rounds to go!

03-15-11, 08:38 PM (EST)
18. "And Carlos Beltran too."
I may have to move to New York to watch my fantasy baseball team.

Remember, this league is NL-only, which reduces the overall player pool by 47%, thus my interest in Mets hitters.

"I love the smell of desperation in the morning."

03-21-11, 11:20 AM (EST)
19. "Mets release Oliver Perez."
Welcome to the fourth greatest day of Slicey's life.

The bad news: predictably for a baseball contract, they've still gotta pay him. To wit, they've gotta pay him $12,000,000. The team was probably hoping he'd show something this spring, at least enough to trade him for a draft pick or two, but no one was willing to bite and he didn't have anything substantial to sink teeth into anyway. Looking to give up two home runs on two pitches? Most people aren't paying out that kind of money to get someone who can throw batting practice.

Oh, and these had to be Fair Used from ESPN's article.

'The Mets also have eaten:

$9 million of $10 million owed to outfielder Roger Cedeno when they sent him to the St. Louis Cardinals at the end of spring training in 2004.

$4.5 million when they sent infielder Kazuo Matsui to the Colorado Rockies in 2006.

$3.75 million when they traded second baseman Roberto Alomar to the Chicago White Sox in 2003. '

Think that's painful?

Wait for it...

'The amount owed to Perez ranks near the top of the unofficial list of largest contracts eaten in organization history, with Castillo also high on the list. Perez is No. 1 in terms of outright money owed; however, Bobby Bonilla worked out a deal that eclipses $12 million.

When the Mets cut bait with Bonilla after the 1999 season, they were on the hook for $5.9 million. Instead, the Mets agreed to pay Bonilla $29.8 million between 2011 and 2035. Those annual $1,193,248.20 payments begin July 1.'

*dead silence*

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-11, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Mets release Oliver Perez."
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-11 AT 12:15 PM (EST)

I think they were hoping that Bonilla would self-destruct by now and they wouldn't have had to pay it... *shrug*

ETA: and the curse of being a 'Former Pirate' continues, it seems...

03-21-11, 02:10 PM (EST)
21. "The good news."
At least you don't have to watch him pitch any more.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-11, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Mets release Oliver Perez."
When people say that the Rangers are the worst baseball franchise, I can think of this and smile.

Agman made this fancy sig for me

03-21-11, 06:18 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Mets release Oliver Perez."
so. happy. i. could. help.

*sigh* At least y'all give me something to look forward to. Based on prior evidence, when we go bankrupt and the league winds up running the team, things can only get better.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-11, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Mets release Oliver Perez."
So... how much did Mo Vaughn eat of the Mets' contract?

*runs*

03-21-11, 06:22 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Mets release Oliver Perez."
Forty pages.

03-21-11, 06:33 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Mets release Oliver Perez."
Be thankful J Slice doesn't come around here any more, or that comment would make you a dead man, Pepe.

03-22-11, 04:49 PM (EST)
27. "'There's bad news and good news...'"
...and more bad news and more good news...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/columns/story?columnist=rubin_adam&id=6240606

Not the usual way to have someone save your life, but the results seem to be working out.

03-29-11, 04:42 PM (EST)
28. "The new 7-day DL."
Instituted today. It's primarily meant for dealing with concussions and injuries where the club is afraid to sit out a player out for fifteen days when there's a chance he could be back in a week.

It's a sensible change. And right now, there are thirty managers desperately searching for a way to abuse it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •