The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OT Fantasy Football Leagues"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-07-10, 08:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OT Fantasy Football Leagues"
Since Pepe seems to be taking the summer off, here's information for the two OT fantasy football leagues that were created a while back. Both are Yahoo free leagues.

Yahoo link

League ID#: 48569
League Name: Politically Incorrect OTSports
Password: offtopic

League ID#: 48574
League Name: OT Football '10 Rocks!
Password: offtopic

Drafts are a few weeks off, but both leagues could use more players.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Other Games!!! ARnutz 08-08-10 1
   RE: Other Games!!! vince3 08-08-10 2
       RE: Other Games!!! ARnutz 08-09-10 3
       Salary Cap Update... ARnutz 08-17-10 8
           RE: Salary Cap Update... vince3 08-17-10 9
   RE: Other Games!!! HobbsofMI 08-09-10 4
 RE: OT Fantasy Football Leagues PepeLePew13 08-09-10 5
 Need 1 more for Politically Incorre... Max Headroom 08-14-10 6
       RE: Status: vince3 08-17-10 10
           RE: Status: Max Headroom 08-19-10 11
       One more needed! Jims02 08-20-10 12
 Both leagues need 1 more team Max Headroom 08-21-10 13
   RE: Both leagues need 1 more team PepeLePew13 08-22-10 14
       RE: Both leagues need 1 more team michel 08-22-10 15
           RE: Both leagues need 1 more team cahaya 08-23-10 16
               RE: Both leagues need 1 more team michel 08-23-10 17
                   RE: Both leagues need 1 more team cahaya 08-23-10 18
 ?? michel 08-28-10 19
   RE: ?? vince3 08-28-10 20
       RE: ?? michel 08-28-10 21
 The draft cahaya 08-29-10 22
   RE: The draft Jims02 08-30-10 23
       RE: The draft cahaya 08-30-10 24
           RE: The draft Jims02 08-30-10 25
               RE: The draft cahaya 08-30-10 26
   RE: The draft Max Headroom 08-31-10 27
       RE: The draft cahaya 09-01-10 28
           RE: The draft Max Headroom 09-01-10 29
           RE: The draft Jims02 09-01-10 30
               RE: The draft michel 09-01-10 31
                   RE: The draft cahaya 09-02-10 32
                   RE: The draft Max Headroom 09-02-10 33
                       RE: The draft michel 09-02-10 34
                           My team... Max Headroom 09-03-10 35
                               RE: My team... michel 09-03-10 36
                                   RE: My team... Max Headroom 09-03-10 37
                                       RE: My team... PepeLePew13 09-04-10 38
                                           RE: My team... PepeLePew13 09-04-10 39
                                               RE: My team... cahaya 09-05-10 40
                                                   RE: My team... PepeLePew13 09-06-10 43
                                                       RE: My team... cahaya 09-06-10 44
 Crappity crap crap Meemo 09-05-10 41
   RE: Crappity crap crap PepeLePew13 09-06-10 42
 PIOT Week 1 Results Jims02 09-14-10 45
   RE: PIOT Week 1 Results cahaya 09-14-10 46
       RE: PIOT Week 1 Results michel 09-14-10 47
           RE: PIOT Week 1 Results PepeLePew13 09-14-10 48
               RE: PIOT Week 1 Results Jims02 09-14-10 49
                   RE: PIOT Week 1 Results cahaya 09-21-10 51
                       RE: PIOT Week 1 Results vince3 09-21-10 52
 RE: OT Fantasy Football Leagues michel 09-21-10 50
   RE: OT Fantasy Football Leagues Max Headroom 09-22-10 53
 Trade alert! Jims02 09-28-10 54
   RE: Trade alert! cahaya 09-28-10 55
 Update Max Headroom 10-25-10 56
   RE: Update cahaya 10-27-10 57
 Who would have thought?! michel 12-29-10 58
   RE: Who would have thought?! cahaya 01-01-11 59

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-10, 06:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Other Games!!!"
Anyone who played last year was sent an e-mail reminder!

The salary cap game does not open until 8/16. I can renew that one if we wish.

Survival Football
ID# 5193
password - bebo

pick 'em (no spread)
ID# 11856
password - icecat

pick 'em (with spread)
ID# 11861
password - ayak

NOTE: The games all have an option to continue through the playoffs now, which I opted for. I like that. Do you?

Pepe is probably up at the cabin studying for the draft.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-10, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Other Games!!!"
I vote for renewing Salary Cap, it was a challenge last year...

Also, I think the pick'ems going through the playoffs will make things very interesting...

08-09-10, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Other Games!!!"
Okey dokey. I will renew the salary cap on or around the 16th and post the info here.

I agree, having the playoffs will be interesting. I always go through fantasy withdrawals once the regular season ends.

08-17-10, 11:41 AM (EST)
8. "Salary Cap Update..."
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/salcap

It seems the salary cap game will be run entirely on facebook.

There's no way in hell I am going to sign up for facebook just for the sake of a fantasy game, so if anyone else want to run it, have at it!

08-17-10, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Salary Cap Update..."
pass on that, as well... I don't want to open anything on that place...

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-10, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Other Games!!!"
I hope to have time...it's been non-existent lately.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig Snidget and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-10, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: OT Fantasy Football Leagues"
Heh, I wasn't taking the summer off, but have been solely using my BlackBerry for a couple of weeks now. I discovered that while I can read emails sent to me, I can't reply through Yahoo there as not all parts show up on the limited BB screen.

I sent out a message to the four remaining members of our 2009 Politically Incorrect league about two weeks ago and it appears that one of these four have joined.

Thanks for setting up this thread, Max! It'll help to pull in some stragglers and fill up our leagues now that it's getting close to draft time.

08-14-10, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Need 1 more for Politically Incorrect league"
The league has an odd number of teams and can't be drafted right now-- we need one more...

08-15-10, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Status:"
Not only do we still need one more for the Politically Incorrect league, but while we do currently have an even number of participants in the OT Rocks! league, we've got room for two more to make it a full league.

Come and bring your snark to these leagues! Still two-plus weeks to go before the drafts in these two leagues, so plenty of time to join in and study up before kicking off the season.

08-17-10, 11:49 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Status:"
OT Rocks is now full as Vince's Victors has invaded!

08-19-10, 03:28 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Status:"
Not any more-- Rudy just dropped out. We still need one more team.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

08-20-10, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "One more needed!"
We're a week and a half away from the Politically Incorrect draft and we still need that last person!

A 2003 IceCat original

08-21-10, 03:54 PM (EST)
13. "Both leagues need 1 more team"
Pepe needs to start beating the bushes to find more players, as the drafts are coming up soon.

08-22-10, 11:55 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Both leagues need 1 more team"
*considers*

Naaah, Reggie Bush's too easy to beat.

Let's hope that keeping this thread fresh will bring in one more straggler for both of the leagues - we just need one for both Politically Incorrect and OT Rocks.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

08-22-10, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Both leagues need 1 more team"
I could join but, even if I'm a football fan, I don't know much about Fantasy leagues. I'd need pointers.

Thanks Tribe!

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

08-23-10, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Both leagues need 1 more team"
LAST EDITED ON 08-23-10 AT 05:57 PM (EST)

It's not that hard, michel. I started my first FF season in Rocks at nailbone's urging, and still finished 3rd (and then 3rd the season after that, followed by two years of back-to-back championships). Even if you start out with a so-so draft you can still build up a nice roster if you're alert in picking up-and-coming players during the season. It takes some time to research while constantly reading the news (every day, early in the morning!) if you want to have a good shot a winning a league.

Edited to add: Ok, I did it (yikes!). I'm in the politically incorrect league with Escher's Geckos (a reincarnation of the infamous KL Geckos in OT Rocks). There's a lot of reading to do, although I've been following King on SI on his training camp reports from week to week. Go for it, michel, it's fun stuff, much like chess.

Post a question if think you could use some pointers. I've posted some replies in the past. As a former FF writer, I suggest checking out the tools provided by the FF league site, as these (with the point systems they adopt) serve as a basis for a good draft and week-to-week line-ups.

Guys, save a slot for michel on Rocks. I just drafted him.

And, whoah, a week until the draft in the league I'm playing in! Tue Aug 31 9:00pm EDT. Big date!

08-23-10, 06:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Both leagues need 1 more team"
Thanks Cahaya,

I registered on the Rocks link. Go Thunder!

08-23-10, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Both leagues need 1 more team"
Ok, Max and Pepe, we've filled the leagues!

Nutzy's trophy shop

08-28-10, 04:58 PM (EST)
19. "??"
I wanted to get ready for the draft but I can't get in with the link provided. When I enter league ID and password it gives me a message that the league is full.

08-28-10, 06:05 PM (EST)
20. "RE: ??"
I usually make the group home a favorite, but also you should be able to acces it via a dropdown menu if you hover your mouse over Fantasy on the Yahoo Sports page...

Here is the direct link: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/48574

08-28-10, 06:57 PM (EST)
21. "RE: ??"
Thanks Vince.

(Do I owe you a player to be named later? )

08-29-10, 00:23 AM (EST)
22. "The draft"
Theory and practice.

The first thing to consider in your draft is the point scoring system. This alone will change draft orders.

Figure that about seven or eight of your guys will form the core of your team. From your whole draft list, many will perform reasonably according to expectations and survive the season without lasting injury and some won't. I'm a huge believer in drafting for depth, especially in injury prone positions like RB.

There are some players I just happen to like a lot and who perform well and consistently every week, season to season. I earmark these guys for favorable selection during the draft.

A lot depends on what position you're in the draft. Being #10 requires a different draft strategy than being #1.

Back when, I posted a statistical analysis of the draft that tended to emphasize tiers. There are times when a certain player to be selected has significant point advantages over the remaining players in the same position.

And remember it's week 0. You have all season to improve your roster along with the best of who you draft.

08-30-10, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: The draft"
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-10 AT 08:47 PM (EST)

And pray to the Yahoo gods that they give you a draft position that you want. I've got my players marked, but so much of my mid/late-round strategy is determined by what kind of player I'll be getting in Rounds 1-2. 8:30 PM tomorrow will be "final research time".

I always prefer the middle positions overall for a balanced team. The only problem with that sometimes is that I tend to gamble too much, hoping I can grab certain players the following round (which often fails).

08-30-10, 10:31 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The draft"
I'd give half an arm or leg just to know right now which order my draft is, only to be known 1/2 hour in advance with Yahoo. That'd settle the few probable picks in the early rounds pretty quickly.

You know what. I'd like to go about 7th to 9th this year. It gives a nice spread. I'd hate to start at the top (or the total bottom) of the draft.

08-30-10, 10:42 PM (EST)
25. "RE: The draft"
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-10 AT 10:44 PM (EST)

You totally want Aaron Rodgers this year, huh?

You've given yourself away now, cahaya! I shall snipe him at #6!

08-30-10, 11:34 PM (EST)
26. "RE: The draft"
LAST EDITED ON 08-31-10 AT 00:09 AM (EST)

(ed.)

(*laugh*)

Well, if not Aaron Rodgers, then... (just from our play in seasons past, you may already know!)

Funny thing is, you never know who you'll end up picking for the night until you've already done an' pick'd 'em!

You almost always get a team who's at least a bit, if not a lot (and sometimes surprisingly!), different from what what you expected or planned for.

Like a kid in a candy store with a hundred jars.

08-31-10, 08:57 AM (EST)
27. "RE: The draft"
Like the Rolling Stones said, "You can't always get what you want."

My first draft was Sunday night, and I had the #7 pick out of 12. I figured out my early draft strategy and was good to go, only to watch three of the first six people pick QBs, which left Ray Rice (a much better RB than I expected to get) still on the board for me. In round two I was planning to pick a WR, but Steven Jackson was still on the board so I ended up with a second unexpected top RB. As a result my WRs are less than optimal, and that's a concern as this league starts 3 WRs and doesn't have a flex, but everyone is always scrambling to fill their third WR slot so I'm not too worried.

Ask me in about 16 weeks if everything worked out or not.

09-01-10, 01:41 AM (EST)
28. "RE: The draft"
LAST EDITED ON 09-03-10 AT 00:35 AM (EST)

Well! Good draft for your team, Max, as you also landed Rodgers!

I was all but forced to take CJ and then have to sit out until scrapping for the next picks at 24/25! After realizing I'd be going on the 24/25th and 48th/49th picks after catching the big kahuna at #1, I think I still made some good picks, although I made a few earmarked picks earlier than I really wanted to. Like Jims mentioned, it's probably better to have picks spread apart instead of paired up 23/24 picks apart. You know what, it'd be cool if players could agree to trade draft positions. I could have easily traded a #1 draft spot for a mid/late rounder with what I had in mind, while someone else might have really wanted CJ.

Still, all told, I like my draft. I caught a bunch of WR's in the late rounds who I had pegged in the eighties to hundreds (out of 192), along with the two-headed Jones/Barber Cowboy RB hydra!

Here's the draft, with players earmarked prior to the draft (* for the core team or ** for speculation):

QB: Matt Schaub*, Matt Ryan*. A gunslinger and a solid upside team leader quarterback. Short of having Rodgers, Brees or Manning, this pair is close to being the next best thing.
RB: CJ*, Felix & Marion, Darren McFadden** (KFFL), Kareem Huggins** (Yahoo). The top dog, a two-headed hydra and a pair of good upside starting RB1 backs.
WR: Fitz*, Mike Sims-Walker, T.O., Breylon Edwards(*), Jabbar Gaffney* and Legudu Nannee**. Poor T.O. got no drafter love and went at the top of the 7th. With this depth, playing a WR3 at flex is a viable option. All start at WR1 or WR2 except (technically) T.O.
TE: Gonzo*. Multiple season FF man love. I picked him a bit early just because he's smart, he works hard, and he's *always* on the field.
K: Bironas. He stood out as the best of the rest after the draft's earlier kicker run.
D: Bears. Probably the weakest part of this draft, although there's always the wire to slot in another D for the week.

And, hey, Jims, you're right, which order you end up with is but a roll of the dice. I really hadn't wanted to go at the top of the order, but that's part of the challenge.

Rolldice's toss

09-01-10, 08:05 AM (EST)
29. "RE: The draft"
My earlier post referred to my league which drafted on Sunday, not last night's Politically Incorrect league draft.

As for last night's PI draft, I made a decision to get a top QB (Rodgers) early, which left me understaffed at WR. I felt that a top-3 quarterback would make up for a few lost points at WR-- we'll see if the idea was a good one or not. It's a long season, and good players always emerge from the waiver wire, but overall I think my team will be competitive.

That league which drafted on Sunday spoiled me-- the draft was much easier. I kept waiting for Politically Incorrect leaguers to screw up, and other than autodrafters picking kickers and defenses way too early, I didn't see anybody making terrible picks. As a result, PIOT looks to be a strong league (again).

09-01-10, 05:46 PM (EST)
30. "RE: The draft"
LAST EDITED ON 09-01-10 AT 05:49 PM (EST)

It was indeed a tough draft. Several of my "pet players" went off the board a couple picks before me, so I had to scramble a bit. After doing a couple mock drafts, I found that I liked the middle-round WRs (Ward/Sims-Walker/Floyd/S.Moss/Maclin/Nicks) much more than the RBs going around that time. I also felt that there were some good value RB picks in the later rounds, so I decided to sleep on that position a little.

I might've slept a little too long, though. When Malcolm Floyd made it to Round 6, I felt compelled to take him. And then in Rd7, I was starting to look for another RB, but there wasn't much left in that area of the board, so I took Santana Moss. I was eyeing Justin Forsett, Carnell Williams, and Ricky Williams for R8 (16 picks later), but all three went off the board right in front of me... So I ended up taking Portis. Still think he could be a nice value by Rd8's standards, though. Same with LT in Rd10.

QB Peyton Manning
WR Greg Jennings, Hines Ward, Malcolm Floyd, Santana Moss, Jacoby Jones, Laurent Robinson
RB Ray Rice, Clinton Portis, Fred Jackson, LaDanian Tomlinson, Leon Washington
TE Dallas Clark
K Matt Prater
DEF Tennessee, San Diego

We'll see how it goes.

Unless Fred Jackson lights it up later, it's going to be a 3WR/2RB season for me.

09-01-10, 10:09 PM (EST)
31. "RE: The draft"
This rookie general manager is somewhat happy with the results.
I was picking 3rd and got:

1- R.Rice
2- R.White
3- D.Jackson
4- J.Addai
5- J.Flacco
6- V.Shiancoe
7- R.Bush

I also have J. Cotcherry, C.Henne, Jacoby Jones, D. Sproles and J. Cribbs on the bench. (If this was all special teams, I'd be flying!) What do you guys think?

09-02-10, 01:24 AM (EST)
32. "RE: The draft"
Looks like very well-balanced top 7 there, going RB/WR/WR/RB for the top 4, then a gem in Flacco, a nice TE pick in Shiancoe and then another RB to round out a solid team core. I'm guessing you passed up MJD for Rice but they're close enough it's a matter of personal choice. Catching the 5 RB/WR you did at #3 in the draft order is about right with a good league making the right picks up top. Flacco late in round 5 might be early for some leagues (he went early in the 7th in my draft), but I personally think he's more than worth it. Had I not gotten Matt Schaub, I certainly would have targeted Flacco next, no later than round 6, letting the likes of the more popular (and probably higher-picked) Favre and Rivers drop off the board first. Henne as a backup is Ok, especially considering the paucity of good QB's after the first 15 QB's (ending in Palmer and Eli Manning). You'll want to keep an eye for out for and coming QB's who might pan out better than Henne if it comes to it, but like you, I see his potential.

J.Cotchery didn't do all that well last year compared to previous years, but he'll be starting this year with WR teammate Holmes out for the first 4 games and will get the early season looks. How valuable he'll be beyond that will depend on the how the early season goes. To be honest, I picked a couple of other more speculative WR's ahead of him (like Naanee of SD, in the same kind of situation as Cotchery, with V.Jackson holding out). Jacoby Jones is an interesting pick, given the Texan passing game and teammate Kevin Walter not up to expectations. In what's essentially a 3-receiver set, Jones should get a fair share of looks on what will likely be single coverage against him. Sproles is a decent speculative pick as it appears the Chargers won't be employing a third back and he should see at least a small piece of the action even with Ryan Mathews taking majority of the touches. Sproles has talent, outscored LT in FF points several times last season, and can step up if Mathews is not able to play. Cribbs is a lottery pick, I think. He could score FF points in a big way if that's how the team decides to use him. Last year, his FF points were minimal, but that could change if the team actually works him into more plays off scrimmage. Whether they will do so remains to be seen.

You didn't say who your D or K were. Not that it really matters that much. It's been my experience, even when I picked top D's or K's a bit early, by the end of the season I've got a (or two) different D's and/or K than I started with. Sometimes it changed week to week. The experts are right to say don't take these until last or almost last. The only exception I make here is to save the most speculative one or two RB/WR picks for last that I don't expect anyone else to make anyway, so that I at least get a good to middling D or K in the next or third to last rounds.

Good luck!

09-02-10, 08:26 AM (EST)
33. "RE: The draft"
I'm not a rookie, and I'll trade you straight-up for your entire team as I think you did well. Picking 2 RBs and 2 WRs in the top 4 picks is a solid strategy, and I like Flacco at QB (I took him in another league, but not until round 6).

Due to another commitment, I was late for last night's draft and didn't arrive until the 10th round. While I like the final six picks I made myself, they're all bench players and the Yahoo autodrafter did a poor job on my first 9 picks. One pet peeve of mine is that the autodraft focuses on filling a lineup completely, which means it picks defenses and kickers several rounds too early (and I arrived after I'd already gotten a DEF and K autodrafted). In any case I hate my team and don't think it'll be competitive, but thankfully I'm in two other leagues and was present for both of those drafts.

Good luck, michel! Fantasy football is fun, and I hope you like it.

09-02-10, 09:55 PM (EST)
34. "RE: The draft"
What is your team?

I foundit interesting that, once one player started drafting a Kicker, or a tight end, or a defense, 4 or 5 followed suit and, each time, I was far away from picking.

Thanks both of you for your appraisal. I appreciate the in-depth from you, Cahaya. I have Dallas as Defense (not bad since they go for big plays) and Janikowsky as kicker.

09-03-10, 08:01 AM (EST)
35. "My team..."
...is the aptly-named "Max's Autodraft Losers".

And is destined for last place.

09-03-10, 06:24 PM (EST)
36. "RE: My team..."
With André Johnson, Steven Jackson and Jahvid Best, I'd say it isn't all bad. I don't really like Kolb but who knows? Also, you may have the best back-up with Palmer, don't you think?

09-03-10, 08:39 PM (EST)
37. "RE: My team..."
Palmer was my first pick just as soon as I arrived at the draft. While Kolb has upside, I have limited faith in him, thus the immediate choice of a good backup. I like Best, but not as a RB2 in round 3-- I took him in another league in round 5 as my RB3. I'm also not sold on Nicks as a WR2; had I been there for the draft, I would've had someone else, but who knows, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Last year's edition of Max's Autodraft Losers (missed that draft completely) was much worse out of the draft, yet finished 6-7 and missed the playoffs only because they lost to the last-place team in week 13... so there's always hope. This team isn't one I would've drafted, but hopefully some of these guys will be pleasant surprises.

09-04-10, 07:57 AM (EST)
38. "RE: My team..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-04-10 AT 08:00 AM (EST)

I decided to take a look at last year's drafts and see what my comments were about them at the time, and compare to how they actually finished.

I was really happy with the Acme Brain Trust draft ... and was bounced in the first round of the playoffs. I was *meh* on the Politically Incorrect league draft ... and won the league.

This year, I'm kinda okay with both the Politically Incorrect and OT Rocks leagues, although I felt I reached for too many players in the PIOT one.

Here are the rosters:

Last year's Acme Brain Trust team (10 team league):

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Cassel
WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Chad Ochocinco, Anthony Gonzalez, Brandon Marshall
RB: Steve Slaton, Thomas Jones, Kevin Smith, Joseph Addai, LenDale White, Willie Parker
TE: Chris Cooley
K: empty
DEF: Philadelphia

Last year's Politically Incorrect team (12 team league):

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Orton
WR: Andre Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, DeSean Jackson, Chris Henry, Percy Harvin, Josh Morgan
RB: Frank Gore, Darren McFadden, Cedric Benson, LeSean McCoy, James Davis
TE: Kellen Winslow
K: John Carney
DEF: Minnesota

Eeep. I just realized that I drafted the late Chris Henry in two different drafts last year (he was also on my Circle of Pain team). Reminds me of the year when I had Darryl Kile on two of my baseball rosters when he died of a heart attack in 2002.

09-04-10, 08:46 AM (EST)
39. "RE: My team..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-04-10 AT 12:48 PM (EST)

This year's rosters so far...

ABT

QB - Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb
RB - Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Steven Jackson, CJ Spiller, Knowshon Moreno
WR - Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker, Donald Driver, TJ Houshmandzadeh
TE - Vernon Davis, Chris Cooley
K - Ryan Longwell
DEF - Philadelphia

Verdict: Quite happy with this draft.
Right now, I'm debating whether to drop Cooley in favour of Patrick Crayton in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle with VJax holding out. Don't need two TEs as long as Vernon Davis is healthy, and I only have four WRs on my squad.

PIOT

QB - Tony Romo, Vince Young
RB - Michael Turner, CJ Spiller, Ricky Williams, Dexter McCluster (also WR eligible), Rashad Jennings (total reach)
WR - Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker, Dez Bryant, Jeremy Maclin, Santonio Holmes, Austin Collie, Dexter McCluster (also RB eligible)
TE - Antonio Gates
K - David Akers
DEF - Dallas

Verdict: Meh. Not crazy about my RBs at all, so am gonna need Spiller to perform like a ROY. WRs okay, will be better once Holmes return.

OT Rocks

QB - Matt Schaub, Donovan McNabb
RB - Chris Johnson, Cedric Benson, Justin Forsett, Tim Hightower
WR - Michael Crabtree, Wes Welker, Donald Driver, Dez Bryant, Anthony Gonzalez, Braylon Edwards
TE - Vernon Davis
K - Matt Prater
DEF - Chicago

Verdict: Not bad but could be a bit better. Definitely need RB depth so will do some deep digging of the waiver wires for a RB who sticks out during the first couple of weeks and dump either Gonzalez or Edwards for him. The top two RBs are solid, but when Forsett is your RB3, yikes.

09-05-10, 06:32 AM (EST)
40. "RE: My team..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-05-10 AT 06:34 AM (EST)

OT Rocks

QB - Matt Schaub, Donovan McNabb
RB - Chris Johnson, Cedric Benson, Justin Forsett, Tim Hightower
WR - Michael Crabtree, Wes Welker, Donald Driver, Dez Bryant, Anthony Gonzalez, Braylon Edwards
TE - Vernon Davis
K - Matt Prater
DEF - Chicago

Your draft in Rocks is a lot like mine this year. I've got Schaub and a good backup (Ryan in my case, but I'd also taken McNabb), along with CJ, the Bears, a solid TE and a good kicker. We also both have more depth at WR than RB, but I figure if you can reliably play your third WR at the flex spot, then you can run with a trimmer RB corps as you build a bit more depth in the position during the season.

Your ABT draft looks really strong, and you stole McCluster from my PIOT draft speculation list!

Good luck and good comp!

09-06-10, 10:07 AM (EST)
43. "RE: My team..."
Oh sure, but we all know that RBs drop like flies during the season, so having only four isn't going to cut it by any means. Definitely going to need to pray to the FF gods to keep CJ and Benson healthy for the full season.

09-06-10, 11:33 PM (EST)
44. "RE: My team..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-07-10 AT 01:03 AM (EST)

You're right that 4 RB's is stretching it thin and it might be time to be looking for another back who might be an active 'committee' timeshare/finisher/vulture back (who'll reliably put up a least a few points and a TD shot on the board for you) or a 2nd back who's supporting an injury-prone back if you've got the roster space. Ideally, you'd like as many point-scoring RB's as WR's.

From my draft, along with CJ, I got the Cowboy pair (totally unexpected, but nobody wanted them), a strong work-ethic guy in Huggins who could take over Cadillac's wheels, and Raider McFadden (who may be a good bench play even this week), so these five should cover the position early on. If the RB corps breaks down to two or three sometime during the season (with the byes and injuries adding up) a large match-up flexible WR corps should see the team to the FF playoffs.

Fitz is my man at WR and he'll have to reach a bit more for the catches this season, but I'm confident he'll go for them. Same goes for Gonzo.

This kind of goes back to the draft with the value picks outside of the RB position. 10 yards is 10 yards, whether it's on the ground or in the air.

Meemo 3517 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-05-10, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Meemo Click to send private message to Meemo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "Crappity crap crap"
I forgot to come here again this year until too late, and seem to have missed out on the leagues again (just like last year).

Sigh. Off to find a random league to join.

Half man, half amazing, all DAW

09-06-10, 09:21 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Crappity crap crap"
Bummer, Meemo.

When I set up the leagues, I sent out an email generated by the leagues so evidently you changed your primary email if you didn't get these?

09-14-10, 08:30 AM (EST)
45. "PIOT Week 1 Results"
SOCIALIST LEFTISTS! 104
Refudiating the Bard 141

NoRace2TheTop4U! 79
Escher's Geckos 83

Levi's Johnson 71
Yogi's MidgetTossers 79

Wash'nton Bumkissers 50
Ben's Underage Coeds 75

YouCanKeepTheChange 86
Da Mask 78

BP's Bunglers 75
Tea Bagger Party 61

Rough week for my Leftists, running into Arian Foster and Hakeem Nicks this week. That's the nature of head-to-head leagues, though.

Maybe my football team has a sucky defense and we'll just have a shootout every week?

09-14-10, 06:54 PM (EST)
46. "RE: PIOT Week 1 Results"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-10 AT 07:02 PM (EST)

As a survivor of Revis island, with the other tribe taking into their fold the goose-egg Braylon Edwards who I had just cast off from my own tribe, I barely survived! (*whew*)

Wow. Your team scores big, second highest in a league of 12, only to lose to the highest scorer for the week! Given all the matches, it happens. If it's any consolation, you can be confident you're running a strong team in the weeks ahead to contend for the FF playoffs. Your team is a sure case of 0-1 and looking good along with your recent pick ups.

09-14-10, 07:04 PM (EST)
47. "RE: PIOT Week 1 Results"
Yeah, strange how it works out. I had the second lowest score but won my match-up. Maybe that's what happens when your team features 2 Baltimore Ravens, you don't score but you win with defense!

Next up, I'm going against the league's high scorer. Yikes! Better get my guys in shape...

09-14-10, 08:30 PM (EST)
48. "RE: PIOT Week 1 Results"
It was just last year that we had someone who had the highest point total on the season in the league, but ended up with a record of something like 5-8 and missed the playoffs. She lost a lot of 130-125 or 122-118 type of games.

Meanwhile, there were a couple of teams that scored like 200 points less than her team that made the playoffs. Gotta love fantasy football - it can drive you batty at times.

09-14-10, 09:03 PM (EST)
49. "RE: PIOT Week 1 Results"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-10 AT 09:04 PM (EST)

If I lose another one like that, I'm going for the record for that elusive "highest point total and worst record" prize.

That would actually be kind of cool, though.

09-21-10, 06:35 PM (EST)
51. "RE: PIOT Week 1 Results"
LAST EDITED ON 09-21-10 AT 06:43 PM (EST)

Yikes, you just did (to a 40-pt Best), you're 4th in our league of 12 for points, yet 0-2, and someone in our league just posted their claim for the worst-ever 2-0 team prize!

(eta) Right now, I'm just thankful I'm riding in the middle of the pack at 1-1 with league-median point scores!

09-21-10, 07:06 PM (EST)
52. "RE: PIOT Week 1 Results"
Can you blame me? I had no right to win that week 2 matchup, and it took a couple of explosions in RB to propel me to win in week 1...

09-21-10, 05:06 PM (EST)
50. "RE: OT Fantasy Football Leagues"
Max, what happened? Your players certainly ate all their wheeties this week!! Nice going, beating everyone by more than 50 points. I like Jahvid Best now!

I lost by 2 points mostly because Reggie Bush missed the last quarter. So close!

09-22-10, 08:51 AM (EST)
53. "RE: OT Fantasy Football Leagues"
What my players did was to use up all their points in the same week. While that 170-pt total is impressive (the highest I've ever had, and I've played fantasy football since 2002), it's only one win, and it worries me that my entire lineup did so well in the same week. I predict letdown(s) are coming in the upcoming weeks.

09-28-10, 05:40 PM (EST)
54. "Trade alert!"
After much wheeling and dealing, my SOCIALIST LEFTISTS has made a deal with Hobbs' Tea Bagger Party.

SOCIALIST LEFTISTS receives DeAngelo Williams/Lance Moore
Tea Bagger Party receives Greg Jennings/Clinton Portis

Thanks for working with me on the deal, Hobbs. I think we put together a fair one that helps both teams.

All other fantasy gurus, feel free to mock my decision-making.

I got tired of sitting one of Ward/Floyd/Moss each week, and at least now I can rotate them with Mark Clayton.

09-28-10, 09:39 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Trade alert!"
Not so fast! The league has two days to approve your trade. Would you care to bribe me with a few TAR Casino bucks, Jims? (*chuckle*)

I ran this through a trade analyzer on a site I trust and get this result:

DeAngelo Williams is the most valuable player involved in this trade.

In a 12 team league, I would recommend being careful about trading away my top RB. If DeAngelo Williams is top RB on Team 2, then they might be wise in reconsidering this trade.

Overall, I think Team 1 is giving the most in this deal but this appears to be a very fair trade.

Williams is getting about a 2:1 split (43:21) of touches over Stewart, while Portis' future is beginning to look murky, with the strong possibility Portis might see less than half the carries in the future and Yahoo advises 'Fantasy owners may want to cut bait on Portis since coach Mike Shanahan seems headed in another direction.' That other direction is probably Torain, who I picked up off the wire earlier today.

On the flip side, Jennings (10 receptions) is a fairly solid steadily performing WR, although Driver (18 recs), Finley (17 recs) and Jones (10 recs) on his team also see a lot of looks. On the other hand, Lance Moore is one of many of Brees' even larger multitude of targets (9 so far this year) and week-to-week it's a crap shoot as to who'll get the few big plays and scores, as Brees does spread it around a lot. Until last week, Moore (9 recs out of Brees' 85 recs) was kind of quiet and then went off for a big 2TD game against Atlanta. Jennings is the better and more steady of the two, while Moore has an unpredictable week-to-week upside that will likely hold up until R. Bush gets back into play.

Yeah, I'd say it's a fair trade and if it improves both teams, so much the better! Good trade and good luck, both of you. Approved!

10-25-10, 09:59 PM (EST)
56. "Update"
After tonight's action, michel's team Thunder will be 6-1 and alone in first place in the OT Rocks league. Not bad for a rookie.

No, I haven't played him yet.

10-27-10, 09:33 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Update"
I'm glad I talked him into trying it out! Our leagues are fairly competitive and it's good to see him doing this well in his first season from get go.

12-29-10, 12:42 PM (EST)
58. "Who would have thought?!"
My team just won the championship! Thanks Cahaya and Max for getting me involved in this and for your support. That was a lot of fun.

I think that the key, in addition to Rice, White and Flacco staying healthy, was adding Bowe early on, right after that horrible game where he dropped easy passes.

01-01-11, 01:20 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Who would have thought?!"
Hey, grats! It's not often you win in your first year (or at all!).

I finished third in the other OT league with a fairly solid if unspectacular team (except for week 14 with 151 points!), with grats to Tim in that league. I was also fortunate in that most of the players on the squad stayed healthy.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •