The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-22-10, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8470796.stm

Yes, Cricket is trying to break through in the US!

I can't see test matches taking off (5 days and probably a draw), however 20/20 may be popular 120 balls batting/bowling for each side should be OK.

First international Cricket match was between the US and Canada

Arrrr Cap'n!

Slightly patronising article I felt.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Estee 01-22-10 1
   RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Starshine 01-23-10 4
 RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Max Headroom 01-22-10 2
 What do you mean not popular? Molaholic 01-22-10 3
 RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Colonel Zoidberg 01-23-10 5
 RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... byoffer 01-23-10 6
   RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Starshine 01-23-10 7
       RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... CTgirl 02-11-11 10
 RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Spanky68 01-26-10 8
 RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old... Starshine 02-10-11 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-22-10, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
Slightly patronising article I felt.

So they cut back on the usual amount of patronizing by 90%? They must be saving their strength for the World Cup.

Personally, I'm curious to see the pitching methods, but that's about it.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-23-10, 04:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
Bowling

Spin

Shane Warne - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLn8sEAKfE&NR=1

Muttiah Muralitharan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1gEcZkdAY

Fast

Shoaib Akhtar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-xcpJm4VPw&feature=related

Michael Holding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhYnYbvF9fo&feature=related

Teeth who needs teeth?

West Indies attack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuquDB2le8k

Bodyline - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rybPvBa3Oc&feature=related (There are still Australians who complain to Brits about Harold Larwood, in the same way as they complain to Americans about Phar Lap)

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-10, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
During a visit to Hong Kong years ago, I came across some cricket highlights on TV. Highlights, mind you, not an actual cricket match. Anyway, the pitcher threw the ball, the batter took a huge swing... and he hit a slow, dribbling foul ball, which made the crowd go wild and cheer loudly!

I didn't get it. At all. Heck, anybody can hit a foul ball, no?

Go ahead, call me an ignorant American. I deserve it.

Capn2patch 2010

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-10, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "What do you mean not popular?"
This guy has been at the top of the charts for decades!

Agman gave me the finger. Now pull it.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-23-10, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
Cricket? WTFudge were they thinking?

Didn't these people learn ANYTHING from soccer?

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-10, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
I think they will need to use the excellent technology they used when NBC first tried to mass market hockey in the US:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91UfVwhY3A

(There is probably better video of the coloured asteroid tails they used which changed colours when a shot was taken, but I didn`t find it).

I worked with a guy from Australia and another from Bangledash. When the last cricket world cup was on I used to discuss the results with them. I learned about LBWs and the like. I think the shortened format for the world cup could work in North America. The game is not less interesting than baseball. Some will say (me included) that baseball is only really interesting because of all the stats and the fact that we understand the game. The more one understands it the more interesting. (Molie understands - and thus enjoys - baseball much more than I do!)

01-23-10, 05:43 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
Yes 20/20 is a quick game (for cricket) so it should be OK as an introduction.

I agree that understanding the game is the main thing. When I watched a baseball game live I couldn't tell a forkball from a fastball from a curveball which probably made the game less entertaining for me.

Whereas watching cricket I can tell a yorker from a bouncer from a swinger and understand what the bowler is trying to achieve.

Arrrr Cap'n!

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-11, 11:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
One of your trips to the U.S. you will have to go to a major league baseball game with DH and me. He played baseball through college university and he can tell what each pitch is no matter where you are sitting in the stands.

I was schooled on the intricacies of baseball from my dad. I have fond memories of sitting at Fenway Park, filling out the score sheet and discussing with my dad if the manager should pinch hit for the pitcher or not (this was pre-designated hitter days). I love the game, but I grew up with it.

When we were in Barbados last May, we missed the world cricket championship by days. We were both disappointed. Even though we knew we wouldn't understand the game much, we wanted to watch it played. We did talk to a British guy on vacation who tried to explain the game to us. His American wife, who knew both games fairly well did do a good job of comparing the two sports for us.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-10, 12:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
I can't see it catching on in a big way, though I have watched a few hours of cricket over the years. I just don't think there is enough action to be a successful sport here. As a group, we don't care about tennis after all. And tennis is a much more photogenic sport than cricket will ever be.

Moonbaby tricked out my siggie

02-10-11, 12:10 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Watch out Baseball fans, an old kid is coming to town!"
Cricket catching on in LA apparently http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12382224

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •