The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Summer Reading and Watching"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-19-13, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Summer Reading and Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 07-19-13 AT 11:31 AM (EST)

Well... it's that time of the year again to catch up on all of the books that I've been meaning to read for the past year but keep getting piled up for a reading binge at the cottage. I can never seem to find the time to read a book from start to finish during the school year.

So what are y'all reading and watching in terms of TV and movies? New hobbies? Etc.?

In between basement renovation projects that I'm trying to get done before we had up to the cottage on the 27th, I've found a new addiction. I have no idea how I never got around to watching Breaking Bad until now, but ever since I saw the pilot episode a week ago, I've been on a binge. Finally saw the season 4 finale last night, I'm now caught up on all of the available episodes online (46 of them), and waiting to watch the first part of the fifth season when it comes out on TV in two weeks before the second part premieres on August 11th. Day-um, that sure is a well-written, well-executed show.

Other than Hell's Kitchen and the recently-premiered The Amazing Race Canada, I haven't really been watching much TV with all the crappy summer shows and re-runs on there, so am wondering if I've been missing anything good...

Books on stockpile to be attacked when I get up to the cottage:
Inferno (Brown)
The Black Box (Connelly)
The Cat's Table (Ondaatje)
Blink (Gladwell)
The Last Knight (Cantor)
Onward (Schultz) - picked this up for $2 in the clearance bin
Theodore Boone The Accused (Grisham)

Oh, and I've also been trying out new recipes in the kitchen. Now that I'm home for the summer and not stuck in a car with the daily commute, the opportunities to be creative are there. Perhaps next week we could have an OTCC thread to throw new ideas out there.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Just read moonbaby 07-19-13 1
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching Starshine 07-21-13 2
 The Anubieion at Saqqra foonermints 07-21-13 3
   RE: The Anubieion at Saqqra cahaya 07-21-13 4
       GoogleWhack, eh? foonermints 07-21-13 5
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching Puffy 07-21-13 6
   RE: Summer Reading and Watching kingfish 07-22-13 12
       RE: Summer Reading and Watching Puffy 07-22-13 13
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching grit 07-22-13 7
   Yep foonermints 07-22-13 8
       RE: Yep grit 07-22-13 9
           RE: Yep foonermints 07-22-13 10
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching kingfish 07-22-13 11
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching PepeLePew13 08-06-13 14
 Will shill for anything Starshine 08-07-13 15
   Taking note and moonbaby 08-08-13 18
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching samboohoo 08-07-13 16
   RE: Summer Reading and Watching cahaya 08-08-13 19
 RE: Summer Reading and Watching Ottawa Girl 08-07-13 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-13, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Just read"
The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. It wasn't really the best time to read something so sad and heartbreaking but the laptop wasn't working and this was already in the Nook. It was good but good and depressing good. Can't say I'm sorry I read it, just that I am sorry I read it right now. Grab a hankie and dive in if you are so inclined.

Wanting a laugh or two it was annoying to discover that episodes of Bob's Burgers are no longer available on Fox's website. BOO, Bob's Burgers! Boo.

If anyone has got recommendations for anything light and hilarious to read or watch please lay 'em on me!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-21-13, 06:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
On TV I'm watching Masterchef (US & OZ), Hell's Kitchen (US), Big Brother (US), TARCAN, The Block OZ, & The Mole 6 (OZ, is it Shaun or Sam? Alex is way too obvious) and I keep trying to watch Perception.

As for books, I've been YAing again, Mercedes Lackey is a fun author to read, although she can be rubbish at endings. The Long War is quite good, and the three detective stories by James Anderson are entertaining.

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-13, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "The Anubieion at Saqqra"
I wouldn't recommend it to my dog.
However, the pages make great entertainment in my new outdoor fire pit.

Oh Cr@p! Was that a Library Book?

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-13, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Anubieion at Saqqra"
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-13 AT 03:40 PM (EST)

Google search on the above-mentioned title returns this:

Your search - The Anubieion at Saqqra - did not match any documents.

The library fines are already well past the value of the book, so toss it in at Fahrenheit 451.

07-21-13, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "GoogleWhack, eh?"
It's an historical tome by some butt-head PhD.
Sure, there is some Egypt in it.
I still haven't discovered the Stargate. Damn!

They did something to me on that saucer 2Patch, I swear they did!

Puffy 6571 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-13, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes" and the sequel, "Tis."

Michelle Cameron's "The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz."

Cynthia Keller's "An Amish Christmas."

I've been putting together a photo book of our recent trip to France.

I've found some documentaries and movies on TCM, Sundance, and the Discovery channel.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-13, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 07-22-13 AT 03:15 PM (EST)

You could post some France pics. here, Facebook shouldn't get all the good stuff.

Puffy 6571 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-13, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
Will do, need to reduce the # of KB's to make them smaller.

grit 4866 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-13, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
I'm only watching Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef on TV and I'm slogging my way through a re-read of the 4th Game of Thrones book (I'm not even sure of the name because I'm reading the 4-book omnibus edition on my Kindle and the name doesn't display).

I've been really, really, really busy both at work and at home so I haven't had much time for other stuff.

a berry nice sigpic from agman

Oh, yeah, ANOTHER reason why I'm so freakin' busy - I've been picking a couple of quarts of blueberries every day and then either freezing them or baking them into some sort of tasty treat. It sucks to be me.

07-22-13, 01:50 PM (EST)
8. "Yep"
Blueberry fatness sucks.

At least you are not picking apples. You remember what happened the last time?

grit 4866 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-13, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Yep"
I've been baking blueberry goodies. I didn't say anything about eating blueberry goodies. I've been on a permanent diet since last year.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

And, yes, I DO remember what happened when I was picking apples. I discovered gravity. I'm that old...

07-22-13, 02:05 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Yep"
Hopefully you're not getting your knee replaced like my friend Gail in Wyoming. I told her I wanted it after she's gone. With the way her anxiety about surgery is, I figured she'll just croak and they can send my memento clean and directly.

Do blueberries go well with draft Sake?
wtf is a "permanent diet?

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-13, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 07-22-13 AT 07:36 PM (EST)

A dirty secret confession: Since the Jeff Bridges version of "True Grit" has been airing, I became curious about the book, and ordered it last week.

Aren't all of you curious about Grit? Truly?

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

08-06-13, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
Well... I've finished the above list and added three more to the reading list. Once I finish the one I'm on now, I'll be itching for another one or two to read as we've still got four more days up at the cottage before it is time to go home.

Latest additions:

The Moses Expedition by Juan Gomez-Jurado - found this to be an excellent story by a writer I've never read before. This guy is good.

A Season for the Dead by David Hewson - think DaVinci Code but some say this is better and I'd agree to that sentiment.

Now reading - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson - about one quarter of the way through, hasn't knocked my socks off yet. Not sure how I never got around to reading this until now even though I've had the book at home for some time now.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-13, 05:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Will shill for anything"
A list of recommended light books

The Wrong way home - Australian decides to go home from London without using aeroplanes, light but I found it fascinating (The Full Montezuma his trip round Central America is also very good).

A collection - Any Blandings book by P.G.Wodehouse, if you haven't read them shame on you

Three men in a boat - It's free, and it's still one of most humerous books ever

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-13, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Taking note and"
thank you!

samboohoo 17076 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-13, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
I am not watching much - at least not in real time anyway. For some reason I just don't have the time to actually sit down and watch anything. I am hoping to plop down this Friday night and catch up on some DVR'd stuff.

One such show is Crossing Lines on NBC. I wasn't wild about it at first but hung in there and am enjoying it.

Reading is usually my summer passion because I enjoy lounging by the pool with a good book or two. I had just started one of the Stephanie Plum books when a friend gave me this year's version of 50 Shades of Gray. At least I think it's this year's version.

The 50 Shades thing kept a lot of us ladies engaged - to say the least. It wasn't the best-written set of books, but it was interesting. Most people I've discussed it with said that, by the end, they were actually skipping through most of the sex stuff and just "finishing" the series. I feel this way only in Book 1 of this adventure. It's annoying and somewhat unrealistic (at least to me), but I can't seem to stop myself from reading it just to complete it. It's pretty much the exact same plot, etc., only the sex is much cleaner.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-13, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
I read the whole 50 Shades of Grey trilogy earlier this year, it is very captivating, even if the fiction is somewhat contrived, from their first meeting to their marriage in erotic coupling.

I think the author E.L. James saw a side to all of us who just want to be loved in every way possible.

Pepe's summer 2013 sig blast

Ottawa Girl 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-07-13, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ottawa%20Girl Click to send private message to Ottawa%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Summer Reading and Watching"
Television:

TAR Canada
Big Brother 15

Looking forward to new season of Breaking Bad starting Sunday and new season of Duck Dynasty starting next week.

Books -- so far this summer:

Inferno by Dan Brown (exciting read, thrilling and entertaining)
White Horse by Alex Adams (loved the ending -- 3 books for $5 table)
Joyland by Stephen King (excellent read)
The Racketeer by John Grisham (he never lets me down, this one so good I want to re-read it)
Le fabuleux roman d'un pays by Roch Carrier (historical)
Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan (fun easy read)
A few others that didn't impress me therefore did not list.

Am now down to the last 3 to 4 in my pile of books still to read, one of which is the new John Grisham (can't wait). I see a trip to Chapters in my future!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •