The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Going Bovine"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

blacknwhitedog 6528 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-13-13, 10:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Going Bovine"
Has anyone read Going Bovine by Libba Bray? and can you sumarize it for me in 3 or 4 sentences, oh yeah and give me your impressions and some themes of the book

thanks in advance for my book club, cause it's 480 pages and I can't get past the first few chapters... all I know it it's some kind of modern Don Quixote story...

Tardis by cahaya

yeah I could wikipedia it but you peeps are smart and stuff

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Going Bovine Snidget 03-13-13 1
   RE: Going Bovine blacknwhitedog 03-13-13 2
 RE: Going Bovine kingfish 03-13-13 3
   RE: Going Bovine blacknwhitedog 03-13-13 4
 RE: Going Bovine Brownroach 03-14-13 5
 RE: Going Bovine cahaya 03-14-13 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-13, 10:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Going Bovine"
*looks at cover*

It is about Phil Keoghan's cow having a breakdown over Phil's affair with the Travelocity Gnome.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

03-13-13, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Going Bovine"
yes there is a garden gnome in the book- and a dwarf
the main character has Mad Cow Disease and apparently the whole book is a hallucination or something- I think???

Tardis by cahaya

and it's a small world ride at disney world

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-13, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Going Bovine"
Review in two sentences: It's so boring boring boring, so boring that it put BWDog to sleep. It's so boring that one can't even work up the energy to Wikipedia it.

03-13-13, 10:24 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Going Bovine"
Ha! I just came by to say HI!

Tardis by cahaya

I have a real job again, so I have time to kill again...

Brownroach 14241 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-13, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Going Bovine"
So, a book about turning into a cow was written by someone named Bray. Who's the publisher -- Barnyard Press?

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-13, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Going Bovine"
Oh, a Tardis siggie!

Okay, I haven't even heard of the author, so I did a bit of browsing around.

Review for Going Bovine by School Library Journal:

Grade 8 Up—In this ambitious novel, Cameron, a 16-year-old slacker whose somewhat dysfunctional family has just about given up on him, as perhaps he himself has, when his diagnosis of Creutzfeldt-Jacob, "mad cow" disease, reunites them, if too late. The heart of the story, though, is a hallucinatory—or is it?—quest with many parallels to the hopeless but inspirational efforts of Don Quixote, about whom Cameron had been reading before his illness. Just like the crazy—or was he?—Spaniard, Cam is motivated to go on a journey by a sort of Dulcinea. His pink-haired, white-winged version goes by Dulcie and leads him to take up arms against the Dark Wizard and fire giants that attack him intermittently, and to find a missing Dr. X, who can both help save the world and cure him. Cameron's Sancho is a Mexican-American dwarf, game-master hypochondriac he met in the pot smokers' bathroom at school who later turns up as his hospital roommate. Bray blends in a hearty dose of satire on the road trip as Cameron leaves his Texas deathbed—or does he?—to battle evil forces with a legendary jazz horn player, to escape the evil clutches of a happiness cult, to experiment with cloistered scientists trying to solve the mysteries of the universe, and to save a yard gnome embodying a Viking god from the clutches of the materialistic, fame-obsessed MTV-culture clones who shun individual thought. It's a trip worth taking, though meandering and message-driven at times. Some teens may check out before Cameron makes it to his final destination, but many will enjoy asking themselves the questions both deep and shallow that pop up along the way.

Sounds like a trip!

Amazon customers on average rate it 4-star, but there were also quite a few 1-star rating for folks who couldn't quite get the trip.

And this is for Mr. Kingfish:

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •