The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Political word game"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-18-13, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Political word game"
Here is a chart tool that looks up the occurrence of specific words within the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, which maintains short biographies of nearly every one of the 12,000 people to serve in the U.S. legislature since day one of the country.

Hover over a bar and it will tell you how many matches there are for a word within that Congress' bios. You can also click on one of the graph's bars and it will give you the names of the Congress critters with a word in their bio.

The trends are interesting...

Your assignment. Pick a word and tell us what the trend is.

My word: Lawyer. From a mere 5 matches in the 1939-1941 Congress to 147 matches in the 2013-2015 Congress.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Death byoffer 01-18-13 1
 RE: Political word game kidflash212 01-18-13 2
 RE: Political word game agman 01-18-13 3
   RE: Political word game cahaya 01-18-13 5
       RE: Political word game agman 01-18-13 7
 Harvard cahaya 01-18-13 4
 Affair cahaya 01-18-13 6
 Born Snidget 01-18-13 8
   RE: Born Estee 01-18-13 10
 Couldn't get the app to work. Estee 01-18-13 9
   RE: Couldn't get the app to work. cahaya 01-18-13 11
       RE: Couldn't get the app to work. kidflash212 01-19-13 12
           RE: Couldn't get the app to work. Estee 01-19-13 13
               RE: Couldn't get the app to work. cahaya 01-19-13 14
                   RE: Couldn't get the app to work. Estee 01-19-13 15
 Integrity? foonermints 01-21-13 16
 RE: Political word game Dakota 01-21-13 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-13, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Death"
from 1917 through 1963 - over 300 each congress

in the 2000s - under 50 each congress

While I appreciate that the two WWs, Vietnam and Korea all fall under the first time frame, I am surprised that 9/11/2001, Afghanistan, and gun violence haven't kept the numbers a little higher in recent years (if I am understanding what they are counting).

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-18-13, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Political word game"
Tried Children - seems congresspeople rarely mentioned their kids until the 1990's.

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-13, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Political word game"
I tried criminal and what a shock, nothing came up! I can't believe that there are no criminals in congress.

you don't suppose any of them could actually be lying do you?

01-18-13, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Political word game"
Actually, 'criminal' does have some hits. The bars are small and you can scroll across the timeline to see how many per Congress. There is one for the current '13-'15 Congress, Thomas Udall.

They might be a criminal lawyer instead of a criminal Congressman!

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-13, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Political word game"
Or the criminal lawyer could possibly be a criminal.

01-18-13, 02:09 PM (EST)
4. "Harvard"
... peaks out at 60 in '75-'77 Congress, down to 37 in the last ('11-'13) Congress.

01-18-13, 02:24 PM (EST)
6. "Affair"
Pretty consistent across the two centuries, with the highest levels in the '90's Congresses, peaking at 54 in the '93-'95 Congress.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-13, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Born"
Checked with the word the, you can get 100% in all years.

Born, looks to be 100% for all congresses except the present one.

Fear of birtherism so you can't mention your origin at all? Or were some of our most recent congress critters hatch hatched?

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-13, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Born"
I call either rigged bios or failure to search for the word 'died'. I know we've had at least forty zombies.

01-18-13, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Couldn't get the app to work."
I wanted to try four words.

Homosexual
Gay
Bisexual
Lesbian

I was expecting less than three percent.

Now if we counted things like 'and beat to death at the tender age of', the numbers would go up.

So tempted to go with 'white male', but I already had a good idea on the count.

01-18-13, 03:12 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Couldn't get the app to work."
I'm not sure why the search engine (near the bottom of the page, not the two graphs at top) won't work for you, but it seems to work fine in Firefox.

I checked your list of words...

Homosexual = 0 hits.
Gay = some hits, all related to names, e.g., William Gay Brown (how's that for a middle name these days?)
Bisexual = 0 hits.
Lesbian = 0 hits.

The Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present can be found here, courtesy of the New York Public Library. Click on Connect to Database to do your searches.

I looked up Tammy Baldwin, the lesbian Senator from Wisconsin and get this:

BALDWIN, Tammy, a Representative and a Senator from Wisconsin; born in Madison, Dane County, Wis., February 11, 1962; graduated from Madison West High School, Madison, Wis., 1980; A.B., Smith College, Northampton, Mass., 1984; J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wis., 1989; lawyer, private practice; Dane County, Wis., board of supervisors, 1986-1994; member of the Wisconsin state assembly, 1993-1999; elected as a Democrat to the One Hundred Sixth and to the six succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1999-January 3, 2013); was not a candidate for reelection to the House of Representatives but was elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 2012 for the term ending January 3, 2019.

Nothing there about sexual orientation, so the bias is definitely decided by who prepares these biographies.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-19-13, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Couldn't get the app to work."
I don't think it shows a bias. Nowhere on my resume do I include my sexual orientation. I don't expect all the other US Senators to list heterosexual on their bios.

01-19-13, 11:23 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Couldn't get the app to work."
I expect the GOP has it as a primary requirement.

Seriously, I was curious to see if anyone had self-identified in their biography, plus the earliest time it had happened. A similar search for ethnic identifiers might get more results.

01-19-13, 12:56 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Couldn't get the app to work."
Ethnicity doesn't show up either, although some religions do with some Congressmen being ordained ministers and/or affiliated with religious organizations.

So, the bios are quite vanilla, with no references to race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc., with the focus primarily on education, profession and affiliations.

01-19-13, 01:21 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Couldn't get the app to work."
the bios are quite vanilla

There's a Caucasian joke in there somewhere.

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-13, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Integrity?"
No mention of it at all.

BS? My computer must have shorted out, like trying to calculate the volumne of the Universe.

tiny Liberated Barney!

Dakota 5643 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-13, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Political word game"
Middle Class - peaked in 1852. I'm beginning to think they don't really care.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •