The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rowing a boat"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-09-06, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rowing a boat"
Is it me, or was anyone else shocked at how practically no one knew how to row a boat? I never really thought about it before, but I guess I just assumed that most people would know how to row a boat. Maybe I'm just way off here.

Tribey Rocks!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rowing a boat Rhyn 10-09-06 1
   RE: Rowing a boat Seana 10-09-06 2
   RE: Rowing a boat CouchTater 10-09-06 5
 RE: Rowing a boat Karchita 10-09-06 3
   RE: Rowing a boat Rhyn 10-10-06 10
       RE: Rowing a boat Karchita 10-10-06 12
 RE: Rowing a boat dabo 10-09-06 4
   RE: Rowing a boat CouchTater 10-09-06 6
 RE: Rowing a boat Karchita 10-09-06 7
 RE: Rowing a boat SilverStar 10-10-06 8
   RE: Rowing a boat Rhyn 10-10-06 9
       RE: Rowing a boat tamarama 10-10-06 11
 RE: Rowing a boat Max Headroom 10-11-06 13
 RE: Rowing a boat Cyndimaus 10-11-06 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-09-06, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I rowed with fixed oars once, and I found it much harder than the unfixed oars. Also, I have never rowed a boat with that low, flat, wide sort of profile. I've rowed in kayaks and in other low-profile (but narrower) boats, so that might factor in, too.

I think, since every team struggled, it might be safe to assume that it was actually more difficult than it looked.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-09-06, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I think, since every team struggled, it might be safe to assume that it was actually more difficult than it looked.

It really must have been, because I just couldn't figure out why they were having so much trouble. Obviously, there was the current and the wind to deal with, but two people working together should have been able to come up with a rhythm.

It seemed to me like teamwork was lacking with most teams. However, Tyler and James (who work well enought together) ended up delegating the task to one person alone.

Spooky bouncie by IceCat

10-09-06, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I will concede that the current and wind conditions plus the fact that the boats were not your typical row boats would be factors in the difficulty, but almost all the teams "said" they didn't know how to row and or asked each other if they did. I found that strange.

A Tribephyl creation

Karchita 4469 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-09-06, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I was completely shocked. I learned how to row a boat as a kid and never thought of it as a rare skill. It is not hard if you do it properly, but only on of these morons (Peter) had the slightest clue.

BTW, by definition rowing uses fixed oars. What you are doing in a kayak or canoe is paddling, which uses paddles, not oars, and is quite different. After watching many seasons of Survivor, I have come to realize that most people really don't know how to paddle, either.

10-10-06, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rowing a boat"
Thank you for the information about rowing v. paddling. The biggest thrill when I was little was when we would "row" the boats around Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island. I guess I've always called any for of paddling "rowing." (But I won't anymore.)

And sometimes it's easy to be shocked when other people can't do the things we can do well. If it comes naturally, it's often hard to remember that others might have to work really hard to achieve the same results. (Sorry, we went over this in a education class, which I hate, but I am so exicted to see a real world application of "It might be easy to write but you shouldn't write off as incapable those who have to work hard, revise often, and still not quite get it." )

10-10-06, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rowing a boat"
Point taken, but remember this is the basher board and we are here to bash.

And to clarify, I am not shocked that they couldn't do it if they didn't know how, but I am shocked that only one of the bunch had any idea of how to row. I just didn't think it was that rare of a skill.

I guess had a bit of a privileged background in that as a child I spent a lot of time at my grandparents lake cabin and had access to a leaky old rowboat and did quite a bit of horsing around in it before I was even ten. I also seem to remember at some horrible Girl Scout camp, we were forced to row clear across the lake. Really, it isn't that hard. Children can do it if they know how.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-06, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I'm just totally shocked that Tom and Terry had no idea how to use paddles.

Dustin and Kandice rowing around trying to find the Pit Stop, though, that totally had me guffawing.

10-09-06, 05:40 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I'm just totally shocked that Tom and Terry had no idea how to use paddles.

*snort*

Tribey Rocks!

10-09-06, 08:41 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I was also pretty shocked that the Barbies (or maybe just one of them) didn't seem to know the rule about never standing up in a boat. She was just asking for a dunking.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-06, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rowing a boat"
Ok, I'll admit it. I have never rowed a boat in my life, and while in theory I think I could do it, I wouldn't be surprised if I was as bad as most of those teams were. LOL.

A Tribe work of art

10-10-06, 01:20 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Rowing a boat"
Haha. A lot of people haven'tdone it. It's not at all shocking, nor do I think you are in the minority, by the way. I would totally rank rowing as something that totally looks easier than it is.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-10-06, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rowing a boat"
>>something that totally looks easier than it is<<

Agreed, and agreed.

I've never rowed a boat, and I wasn't surprised that so few on the race knew how...

BUT, I was surprised that none of the teams appeared to just take a moment and work out how to coordinate it.

I would imagine you're not going to turn into a master-rower...but I bet 90 seconds spent calmly figuring out a rhythm would really have paid off. There seemed to be so much flailing going on.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-06, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rowing a boat"
Though not an expert rower myself, I think the secret is to have a single person operate both oars. Tyler and James figured it out and they did well, while everyone who tried to tag-team the rowing struggled.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-11-06, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rowing a boat"
I know it's easy to sit at home and say, "I could do that" but it was comical to see all the teams struggle with rowing. And most of them made some sort of statement about having no idea how to do it. I expected a few of them to struggle, but as it went on and on and noone could I just started laughing. Of course, if my hubby and I were in the race hubby would have figured it out quickly cause he's just that kind of guy. And I would have let him do it instead of trying to take over. (at least I hope I would!)

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •