The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fix?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-10, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fix?"
I have always thought that players who cried "Fix" were just sore losers, but after last night I'm re-thinking my position. Tyson's vote simply made no sense at all. There's no way to slice exlpain or understand why he voted Parvati.

If Russell was telling the truth, then he didn't need to vote for Parvati - she would have been gone. If she had or played the immunity idol, then he couldn't have gotten her no matter what. If Russel had or played the idol then Parvati would have been gone on the re-vote. There was ZERO upside to switching his vote. NONE. It makes no sense. I saw no mullets at Tribal last night, so there was no one there stupid enough to throw an extra vote at what was either a sure thing or that had zero chance of happening.

It's no secret that Jeff (and probably EPMB) love the chaos that Russell brings to the game. I have little problem believing that Tyson was pressured or paid to essentially vote himself out of the game. it makes more sense than any other explanation.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Fix? PepeLePew13 03-25-10 1
   RE: Fix? PagongRatEater 03-25-10 3
       RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-25-10 13
       RE: Fix? tribephyl 03-27-10 24
 RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-25-10 2
 RE: Fix? PepeLePew13 03-25-10 4
   RE: Fix? PagongRatEater 03-25-10 5
       RE: Fix? PepeLePew13 03-25-10 6
           RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-25-10 7
               RE: Fix? FFantasyFX 03-25-10 8
                   RE: Fix? garcor 03-25-10 9
                   RE: Fix? iltarion 03-25-10 10
                       RE: Fix? michel 03-25-10 11
               RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-25-10 15
           RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-25-10 14
               RE: Fix? jbug 03-26-10 17
 RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-25-10 12
   RE: Fix? garcor 03-26-10 16
   RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-27-10 25
       RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-30-10 39
 RE: Fix? Colonel Zoidberg 03-26-10 18
   RE: Fix? suzzee 03-26-10 19
       RE: Fix? mindy23 03-26-10 20
   Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible michel 03-26-10 21
       RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossibl... Colonel Zoidberg 03-28-10 29
           RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossibl... michel 03-28-10 31
               RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossibl... Colonel Zoidberg 03-30-10 36
       RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossibl... Tublecane 03-30-10 38
           RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossibl... Colonel Zoidberg 04-05-10 50
   RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-30-10 40
       RE: Fix? Colonel Zoidberg 04-05-10 52
           RE: Fix? michel 04-05-10 53
               RE: Fix? Colonel Zoidberg 04-06-10 54
   RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-30-10 41
       RE: Fix? Colonel Zoidberg 04-05-10 51
 RE: Fix? Brownroach 03-26-10 22
   RE: Fix? garcor 03-26-10 23
       RE: Fix? Brownroach 03-27-10 28
   RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-27-10 26
       RE: Fix? michel 03-27-10 27
           RE: Fix? JessicaRN 03-28-10 30
           RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-29-10 32
               RE: Fix? Brownroach 03-29-10 33
                   RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-29-10 34
                       RE: Fix? iltarion 03-29-10 35
                           RE: Fix? BrassFan 03-30-10 37
                               RE: Fix? garcor 03-31-10 45
                   RE: Fix? Tublecane 03-30-10 42
                       RE: Fix? Brownroach 03-30-10 44
 RE: Fix? Oscirus 03-30-10 43
 RE: Fix? Wacko Jacko 04-02-10 46
   RE: Fix? michel 04-02-10 47
       RE: Fix? iltarion 04-02-10 48
           RE: Fix? michel 04-03-10 49

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-10, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Fix?"
The only legitimate explanation without manipulation from the producers that I can see is that Russell convinced Tyson that since Russ was going to use the HII to save himself and that there would be a 3-3-3 tie and a resulting re-vote, why not switch Tyson's vote to Parvati and save everyone the headache of the revote? If Russell felt strongly enough that Tyson believed him, then he knew he could switch the HII over to Parvati.

Either that, or Tyson really is that dumb and he decided on his own to 'ensure' that Parv gets the boot with the assumption that Russell meant it that he was voting Parv. We've seen through a season and half that Tyson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

03-25-10, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Fix?"
A revote would just be a minor inconvenience and still have the desired outcome with zero risk. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

Tublecane 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-25-10, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tublecane Click to send private message to Tublecane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Fix?"
"A revote would just be a minor inconvenience and still have the desired outcome with zero risk"

The risk is never zero. Anyway, look at it this way: Tyson wanted to make a BIG MOVE. It's a sickness that has claimed many a player.

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-10, 03:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Fix?"
It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Well therein, PRE, lies the rub. You are too smart for this game.
It is very very very ...veryvery unoften that a survivor ever does what we viewers deem would be the BEST thing to do.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-25-10, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Fix?"
I can understand why you might think that way, and I can't seem to figure out Tyson either....

That being said, I still think the risks of fixing the show are far too great for SEG/CBS.

If they *did* try to fix the game to keep Russell around, I think there are better ways than trying to convince someone to make one of, if not the, biggest boneheaded moves....

03-25-10, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Fix?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-10 AT 12:12 PM (EST)

I thought this was worth reposting here - someone posted this on Spoilers, but this is relevant to this thread.

From Stephen's Survivor Strategy blog:

... Watching the episode, it looks like he has a very clear path to safety — vote for Russell, split the votes along with the rest of his alliance, and then when Parvati or Russell plays the idol, vote for the other one in the re-vote.

But as I mentioned last week, when you’re actually playing Survivor, nothing seems certain; paranoia sets in. That’s especially true if you’re the other faction’s target; you know your name is being written down at Tribal Council. For Tyson to vote according to plan, he would have to rely on five other people to do exactly what they say they’re doing. That’s five other people who have their own plots and ambitions. What if Jerri is harboring a secret scheme to take him out at the knees? Tyson might seem like an incidental player in the Rob/Russell pissing match, but when you’re out there in the wild, you assume everybody’s scheming against you. And Tyson was a victim of a vote-splitting plan gone awry in Tocantins (he thought we were splitting the votes between Erinn and Sierra; instead, we voted him out). You can see why he’d be gun-shy.

Furthermore, there’s no reason to think Russell would give Parvati the idol. After all, it’s him or her in a revote. Why would Russell risk his own skin to save hers?

What makes Russell so deadly is that he takes strategy a step beyond basic psychology. He doesn’t just play to people’s self-interest; he plays to their fears and their insecurity. I loved the scene where Rob and Russell talk at night, like Pacino and DeNiro having coffee in Heat. Rob’s threat that “If you really don’t have that idol, you need to go get it,” had all the menace of a kid in a monster mask on Halloween. As Russell coolly parses it, “They’re trying to flush the idol out of me. Rob told me it’s going to be me, and I ain’t stupid. They’re going to vote Parvati.” Duh.

That sort of psychological insight allows him to break apart Rob’s perfectly constructed but fragile vote-splitting plan. Russell cozies up to Tyson and tells him that he’s going to vote for Parvati to save himself. “It’s breaking my heart,” he moans, “but…I’ve got to play this game for myself.” Russell plays the part that Tyson expects him to play — scared and scrambling for his life. He’s frantic! He’s selfish! Of course he’ll play the idol! So why shouldn’t Tyson flip his vote and go for the sure kill on Parvati, rather than risk the intricacies of a split vote and a revote? “I just want it over with and get some hot dog in my mouth,” Tyson says.

This goes with what I said in my first post above, it sounds like he wanted to "make sure" there was no chance taken with a revote, if people are actually voting for Parv, then let's make sure she goes! Paranoia can be rather powerful.

03-25-10, 12:34 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Fix?"
But if he believed russell then Parvati WAS going home, right?

03-25-10, 12:54 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Fix?"
He believed Russell... but Russell is in cahoots with Parvati, he WANTED Tyson to believe that Parvati was the target. Tyson obviously made Russell feel safe enough to switch the HII over to Parvati as you know Russell wouldn't leave himself open like that unless he had a good feeling of the outcome.

Because of this move, Russell is now in control of the game while Tyson got booted and Rob has lost any advantage over Russell.

03-25-10, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Fix?"
>He believed Russell... but Russell is
>in cahoots with Parvati, he
>WANTED Tyson to believe that
>Parvati was the target.

But, that's the point. If Tyson *does* believe Russell when he says he's voting for Pavarti, why swtich his vote? If Russell votes for Parvarti, and 3 others Tyson's tribe vote Parv, she' has 4 votes. Parv and Danielle vote Tyson, so he has 2 votes. With Tyson's vote and two others remaining, they are totally irelevant. Tyson could have voted for Jeff, and it wouldn't have changed the fact that Parv was going home.

On EW.com Tyson explains his rationale, and it still doesn't quite add up. He said that he wanted Parv gone because he was worried about a tribe switch/merge, and her having friends on the other tribe...not to mention buying a little goodwill with Russell.

FFantasyFX 1011 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-25-10, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Fix?"
There are really only two flimsy rationales to explain Tyson's vote. The first is that he feared that someone was going to flip. Based on the interview posted on the homepage, that seems unlikely.

The other possible motivation was to try to ensure that Parvati went home over Russell. If you're suspicious that Russell might not use the idol, and you think that the majority of the tribe is going to target Russell during the revote, changing your vote to Parvati is going to short circuit the revote and make sure that your intended target leaves.

Tyson definitely preferred to boot Parvati over Russell and seemed to be cultivating Russell as a Plan C ally in case his current alliance completely fell apart. I find it difficult to imagine Tyson believing that Russell would not use the idol, but he apparently seriously believed that Russell would vote for Parvati. And if Russell votes for Parvati, what's the use in Russell wasting the idol?

Tyson's big problem of course is that he just couldn't fathom Russell giving Parvati the idol and that caused him to take a huge gamble that completely backfired.

garcor 432 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-25-10, 08:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Fix?"
If you're Tyson, why tick off Russell by voting for him if you think Parvati's the one that's leaving?

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-25-10, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Fix?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-10 AT 08:39 PM (EST)

The post from spoilers hits it on the head. If you analyze the move by Tyson, it makes no rational sense. However, Tyson knew his name was being written down, and that if there was an idol ricochet, he was the one going down. That can certainly cause someone to "scramble," which basically means doing whatever it takes to try to guarantee yourself in the game whether rational or not. As we already saw with Cirie's boot, a split vote is a tricky thing and a lot to trust for someone who knows they are getting 3 votes.
I think the key is something completely rational. Tyson never believed Russell would give Parvati the idol. The others in Tyson's alliance wanted to flush the idol and wanted Russell gone if possible. Tyson wanted Parvati gone. Forget the tie and the idol. Just get 4 votes for Parvati. She's gone. Problem solved.

Haha... and who said Russell is now in control of the game? Says who? Russell now is in an alliance of 3 against an alliance of 5 with no idol to protect him or anyone else in his alliance. He has no control. He got to boot Tyson. Congrats. But the odds are still heavy against him.

>

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-10, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Fix?"
I haven't read his interview yet but it's also possible that Tyson tried to get the alliance to vote straight up on Parvati because Russell was playing the idol anyway. If Tyson got shot down, he may have simply said "the hell with them, voting Parvati's the thing to do so that's what I'll do."

Iltarion, we heard that Tyson was charming, right? Why was that line left in? I'm thinking that some players in the alliance were closer to Tyson than Rob and, if Rob was the one to put his foot down, they may resent him for it.

03-25-10, 10:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tublecane Click to send private message to Tublecane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Fix?"
"If Tyson *does* believe Russell when he says he's voting for Pavarti, why swtich his vote?"

If Russell's come to terms with Parvati going, he's definitely not giving her the idol, which means he's almost certainly playing it himself. If Russell plays the idol, Tyson's vote against him is pointless. If he votes for Parvati, Tyson can honestly tell Russell later that he didn't vote for him.

03-25-10, 10:22 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Fix?"
"Because of this move, Russell is now in control of the game"

Not really. Even if his "knight," Coach, flips, it's still 4-4. Either someone else (Jerri?) follows, Russell finds yet another idol, or it's rocks.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-10, 07:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Fix?"
One of Jerri's 'un-aired' interviews shows she's not real happy with Rob either.

for talking a lot? me? Jan 2010

03-25-10, 10:16 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Fix?"
"There's no way to slice exlpain or understand why he voted Parvati."

Of course there is:

1) He wanted Parvati out more than Russell
2) He wanted to have Russell as an ace in the hole later on, and it would help his case if he didn't vote for the guy.
3) He thought Russell confessing that he's switching to Parvati meant Russell was definitely playing the idol, which would make his part in the Rob-split unecessary
5) He doesn't like the fact that his name is on the block
6) He switches to Parvati to make it a done deal on the first vote

03-26-10, 06:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Fix?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-10 AT 06:12 PM (EST)

Surprisingly, it's the dislikeable Russell who has shown in two seasons that he realizes you need allies to get far in the game. Tyson's interview on this site gives his philosophy as "you talk to a bunch of people and then do what's best for you ("you" being singular.") No wonder Tyson didn't believe Russell would give away the idol.

03-27-10, 12:06 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Fix?"
>"There's no way to slice exlpain
>or understand why he voted
>Parvati."
>
>Of course there is:
>
>1) He wanted Parvati out more
>than Russell

But, if he believes Russell, he doesn't have to switch his vote to get rid of Parvati.

>2) He wanted to have Russell
>as an ace in the
>hole later on, and it
>would help his case if
>he didn't vote for the
>guy.

This, I'd agree with.

>3) He thought Russell confessing that
>he's switching to Parvati meant
>Russell was definitely playing the
>idol, which would make his
>part in the Rob-split unecessary

It also makes his vote for Parvarti unecessary. He votes Russell, Russell votes Parvarti, Russell plays the idol, and Parvati goes home.

>5) He doesn't like the fact
>that his name is on
>the block

Yeah, you're right on this one. And the fact that he already fell victim to a vote split once was probably in the back of his mind.

>6) He switches to Parvati to
>make it a done deal
>on the first vote

Except, as Rob said, if Parvarti plays the idol (which was the reason for the vote split strategy), it puts all the control in the hands of Parvarti/Russell/Danielle. Which, unfortunately for Tyson, is exactly what happened.

03-30-10, 01:25 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Fix?"
"But, if he believes Russell, he doesn't have to switch his vote to get rid of Parvati."

True, but there was another possibility I left out, and one that might explain a lot. Tyson was under the impression that Parvati and Danielle would abandon Russell. If that happens, it's a 4-4 tie, and Tyson has motivation to vote Parvati over Russell. This requires that he somehow figures the hidden idol won't be played, which I don't get, but whatever. He obviously overthought things.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-26-10, 08:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Fix?"
Fix?

FIX?

Really?

Were people slaiming "fix" when Colby took Tina instead of Keith to F2 in Australia? OK, maybe. But most people said this - Colby was dumb.

What about when Paschal got purple-rocked out of the game? Fix? Nope. Carelessness and a production error.

Jenna's floor-wiping of Matt? No fix. Bad editing.

How about Ian stepping down at F3? Fix? Hardly. Temporary insanity.

Let's take the case of the Nakum alliance coughing up an immunity advantage to last-Yaxha-standing Danni. Fix? More like gross stupidity and arrogance.

Dreamz keeping immunity? Fix? More like Dreamz saving his own skin only to have it torn off at FTC.

Moving on...James saving two immunity idols? Again, no dice. He just made a calculated, but careless, risk. And got burned.

Was it a fix when Erik gave up immunity to Natalie? Ha. If it was, I hope he got paid really well. Hanlon's Raxor states: "Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity." Apply to above.

Also apply to anyone who fell for a fake hidden immunity idol, anyone who flipped the bird, anyone who got the hair-brained idea to throw a challenge...and remember something: People are, by and large, susceptible to acting like colossal morons.

Tyson Apostol was voted out because he acted like a colossal moron. Russell Hantz was spared because he's a clever bastard.

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-26-10, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Fix?"
People are, by and large, susceptible to acting like colossal morons.

Absolutely correct.

Everyone is my alliance

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-26-10, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Fix?"
Wow. There are a lot of great insights here. And some of them help clear up some of the webs that were floating around in MY brain after Wednesday night.

But me? I still think Russell has a nephew on the production crew.....

03-26-10, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-10 AT 04:45 PM (EST)

Great post Colonel, BUT:

We know the fix was in when Stacey got voted out instead of Rudy.

We also had some very strange happenings that "helped" events turn out for the best.

A few examples:

- The tribal switch in Guatemala that gave Stephenie the numbers and a very docile tribe full of her fans.

- Jonathan's flip after talks of a possible all-Caucasian F4 surfaced in CI.

- Tribes being whisked to Tribal Council under strict orders not to talk as soon as Chris had finished talking to Eliza during Vanuatu's F7.

(When asked why she didn't talk to Leann and Ami afterwards, Eliza said she was afraid they'd confront Scout and Twila and force them to vote her out which is understandable but she added: "There were other things that happened before that vote that I'm not allowed to discuss.")

- The same when Galu considered voting out Erik. Both John and Brett said they only had 10 minutes to react after hearing the new plan.

Here? It's not that they wouldn't try anything it's just that I don't see why they would fix it to save Parvati over Tyson. Jeff loves his guys too much for that. On the other hand, it makes Russell look so smart that I can't totally dismiss it. And that's all Jeff's fault for exhibiting his hard-on for Hantz on every tribune since Samoa first aired.

03-28-10, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible"
I don't believe Stacey. Simply put, her "The vote was RIGGED!" cries could be stifled by this simple bit of information - Richard Hatch was running the game. He buddied up to Rudy. He masterminded the Tagi alliance, which was four people. Four is more than half of seven, which was the number of people remaining in Tagi at the time. The fifth vote for Stacey was gravy. Therefore, this can be explained by what I will tag the Hatch Principle: "Never attribute to game-rigging what can adequately be explained by the doings of a clever bastard."

Also, EPMB sued Stillman for $5 million after that. Not sure why - never read the contract. Taking Stillman down with EPMB? Perhaps. If so, Stillman failed. But reality TV is rife with stupid people trying to extend their 15 minutes after failing - remember the person booted off American Idol and then claiming he slept with Paula? Remember Chima's gross stupidity (boy did the show get her wrong, labeling her a "Brain" at the start)?

I'm not saying Survivor's not rigged - just that there's a logical explanation for just about everything. If EPMB's rigging Survivor, he's doing a much better job than we think, and the results are more skewed toward tribes, not individuals (recall the Amazon IC that involved catching a bunch of fish - we all know they were tring to ensure that the tribes were evened up for the switch. If the guys had been up 7-6, they'd have been walking balance beams from start to finish.)

I think we could all agree beforehand that Tyson is, more or less, insane. Flipping his vote to Parvati? No dumber than Erik passing over immunity.

03-28-10, 10:08 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible"
Didn't you know that Dirk corroborated Stacey's claim? Stacey also got a settlement out of court. The 4 person alliance wasn't set yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Stillman

03-30-10, 07:37 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible"
Dirk backed her up - Sean didn't. With only Sean's vote, it's still 4-3 and makes no difference. Also, Dirk was kind of the next person out of the game from the Tagi tribe...sore loser, perhaps?

Alliance or no, the point is, Burnett didn't affect the outcome, if both Dirk and Sean are telling what they believe to be the truth - which, I guess, means that, even when Burnett tries to tip off the outcome, he's not very good at it.

03-30-10, 01:18 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible"
"We know the fix was in when Stacey got voted out instead of Rudy."

Was that a "fix," though? Even if we assume producers suggested that Rudy stay in the game, the players didn't have to oblige. And it wouldn't have worked, anyway, if anyone liked Stacy. I'd call it interference, which is fine, because this is a game show, not the Supreme Court.

"The tribal switch in Guatemala that gave Stephenie the numbers and a very docile tribe full of her fans."

"Jonathan's flip after talks of a possible all-Caucasian F4 surfaced in CI."

Jonathan is an actor, but I found his flip-flip thought process too convinving to disbelieve. Did anyone really care whether there was a minority race in the F4? I think it was more a case of rooting for the underdog and nobody liking Candice, Parvati, and Adam. They weren't really "minorities," anyway, since they all started equally.

04-05-10, 06:30 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Fix? Unlikely but Not Impossible"
Jonathan is an actor, but I found his flip-flip thought process too convinving to disbelieve. Did anyone really care whether there was a minority race in the F4? I think it was more a case of rooting for the underdog and nobody liking Candice, Parvati, and Adam. They weren't really "minorities," anyway, since they all started equally.

Jonathan's "all-Caucasian" F4 was more of an all-old_Raro F4. Yes, the original tribes were drawn on race - but did race come into play in past seasons when tribes were not drawn based on race? Race was just a convenience line created by tribal divisions.

And actually, Jonathan's story with the flip was that he thought either Candice or Adam had the HII, which made sense, since they spent the most time on Exile. It had little to nothing to do with race or tribal lines.

03-30-10, 01:26 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Fix?"
"Jenna's floor-wiping of Matt? No fix. Bad editing"

I don't think it was bad editing. Matt was clearly portrayed as a weirdo, and princess beats weirdo.

04-05-10, 06:40 PM (EST)
52. "RE: Fix?"
I don't think it was bad editing. Matt was clearly portrayed as a weirdo, and princess beats weirdo.

His edit changed, though...he went from clod to weirdo to thriving underdog who just happened to be unusual. Jenna was a spoiled princess who treated the unpopular kids like dirt.

I can see Alex and Heidi voting for Jenna, and Jenna had a better rapport with Deena. That leaves Dave, Christy, Butch, and Rob, and I think Rob's vote was probably closer than we think. I still, to this day, have no idea why Christy voted for Jenna. It boggles the mind. The only conceivable thing was that she took offense to Matt's comment about her having a "funky accent," which I guess could have been played better, but pales in comparison to Jenna and Heidi implying that their beauty is a handicap.

So yes, I could see Jenna winning based on the vote breakdown. But not by that margin.

04-05-10, 07:53 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Fix?"
Christy explained her vote saying that she didn't want to appear as holding a grudge against Jenna. It would have been a poor example to the young people she worked with.

04-06-10, 08:24 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Fix?"
I also heard somewhere it boiled down to tribal loyalty, but every reason she gave still sounds kind of lame...that one seems to make the most sense, but if it's true, then her vote was merely a referendum on Jenna, and Matt didn't come into play. Which sort of makes sense, since they didn't share a tribe until the merge.

03-30-10, 01:29 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Fix?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-10 AT 01:29 PM (EST)

"anyone who got the hair-brained idea to throw a challenge"

This actually made sense once, when a tribal shuffle allowed a majority to protect their minority friends on the other tribe. Unfortunately, their friends didn't get the memo and the challenge-throwing was dropped.

04-05-10, 06:36 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Fix?"
Post-switch, there may be wisdom in throwing challenges if you control the numbers on your own tribe. Pre-switch, it's ludicrous. Ethan and Kim kinda-sorta throwing the fifth IC in Africa made sense - so long Silas. Throwing a challenge in Vanuatu? Would have made sense, and frankly, Lopevi was foolish not to think of it on their own.

But the gold standard of stupid challenge-throwing was Drake - and it all boiled down to the fact that they just plain got sick of winning. (Ozzy's desire to get rid of Billy made slightly more sense than that, but still...as I quipped when it happened, even a corpse gets a vote at TC.)

Brownroach 14241 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-10, 05:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Fix?"
I don't know about an out-and-out fix -- everything you say is correct but I think Tyson may have just made a dumb move anyway -- but I definitely suspect interference.

What bugged me about the whole thing was: How did Russell know that Tyson wasn't already going to vote for Parvati?

Russell must have assumed the group of six were going to split their votes 3-3, so in order to make the vote come out 4-2 he had to try to flip someone who was in the three that were voting for Russell. If Tyson was in the group voting for Parvati, Russell's little act would be pointless.

So Russell must have found out who was slated to vote for whom. Or at the very least he found out the name of one person (Tyson) that was supposed to vote for Russell.

I can't fathom how he would have gotten that information from anyone in the group of six.

I do think that production in no way wanted either Russell or Parvati gone this early, so I can easily believe that Russell was tipped off as to who to go after. Just as I think last time he was steered toward the idols (maybe not the first one, but after they saw his m.o.) Laura said in one of her post-show interviews that Russell knew he was going to be on S20 before the S19 merge happened. How did that happen?

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

03-26-10, 06:18 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Fix?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-10 AT 06:19 PM (EST)

I think Russell figured the other alliance knew he had the idol and would split their votes just in case he played it. I think he guessed (hoped might be a better word) that Tyson was one of the three who were voting for him, unless he figured it out from his conversation(s) with Tyson or with any one else he might have tried to sway. Remember they have a lot of extra footage that is never seen. Who knows how many people Russell approached?

Don't believe anyone from "production" whatever told him in order to help him out.

03-27-10, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Fix?"
The camera crew does talk to the players when they conduct the interviews for the "confessional" sequences. It came out back in S2 that when Kel was off on his own and Jerri was accusing him of having beef jerky, the crew more or less suggested he might want to go back to camp because his tribe was all talking about him.

So it's not out of the question that the crew would let something slip.

03-27-10, 12:11 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Fix?"

>What bugged me about the whole
>thing was: How did
>Russell know that Tyson wasn't
>already going to vote for
>Parvati?

**SNIP**

>If Tyson
>was in the group voting
>for Parvati, Russell's little act
>would be pointless.
>
>So Russell must have found out
>who was slated to vote
>for whom. Or at
>the very least he found
>out the name of one
>person (Tyson) that was supposed
>to vote for Russell.
>
>I can't fathom how he would
>have gotten that information from
>anyone in the group of
>six.

Tyson has said in his interviews that he was scared of his name being written down, so he told Russell what the split vote plan was. He thought that might be a way to play both sides. In the end, he did himself in.

03-27-10, 01:13 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Fix?"
But every interview is done in presence of someone from the show and, because of their contracts, the players cannot answer freely. Like I wrote above, there wouldn't be these questions if Jeff hadn't been acting like Russell's pimp for 2 seasons.

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-28-10, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Fix?"
I just watched this last night and as someone above said, reading your posts helped me understand it a bit better. Putting aside the idea of a "fix", I have to give it to Russell for being strategic, manipulative and knowing how to play on everyone's fears. I sure wouldn't want to do business with him - or anything else for that matter, but he makes watching Survivor pretty interesting.

03-29-10, 08:40 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Fix?"
>But every interview is done in
>presence of someone from the
>show and, because of their
>contracts, the players cannot answer
>freely.

That may be true. I was simply responding to the question of how Russell knew how the other alliance was voting. And it would make sense that Tyson, who had previously fallen to a split vote plan, would try to find a way to make sure it didn't happen again.

03-29-10, 12:34 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Fix?"
If that's the case, then the problem was poor editing (also not unheard of on Survivor). It should have been clear to the viewers that Russell's move on Tyson was based on something concrete.

03-29-10, 10:32 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Fix?"
>If that's the case, then the
>problem was poor editing (also
>not unheard of on Survivor).
> It should have
>been clear to the viewers
>that Russell's move on Tyson
>was based on something concrete.

Well, based on that editing, and the fact that they haven't shown the fact that Jerri doesn't seem to like Rob (the hidden scenes on cbs.com), they are telling the same story they told last season...

They are showing us that Russell is seriously outnumbered by a very tight alliance, and it looks like he is smart enough and scheming enough to mastermind a huge turnaround in numbers.

03-29-10, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Fix?"

Not exactly. Last season, Russell's opposition was never given much attention and Russell was never shown to look bad like he has a couple times this season. The edit between he and Rob has been pretty equal. Personally, I don't think either are going to be in the final alliance. I think the final alliance will involve Parvati and the Heroes. From this point, the Villians will begin to self destruct, and the connections between Parvati and Amanda have been mentioned too many times for it to mean nothing. That is just my read on it though, and I have been wrong about many things this season already.

>

03-30-10, 09:00 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Fix?"
>
>Not exactly. Last season, Russell's opposition
>was never given much attention
>and Russell was never shown
>to look bad like he
>has a couple times this
>season. The edit between he
>and Rob has been pretty
>equal.

Maybe the edit, in results to how much time they are getting is equal....

But, what I'm getting at is that the edit is making it look like Russell and Parv are on the outside, and the other 6 were a very close knit, very tight alliance. However, the hidden scenes on CBS.com are showing that the majority alliance isn't all that tight.

Tyson was afraid of the results of splitting the vote, and that wasn't shown. They made it look like Russell was sooooooo smart that by simply telling Tyson that he was going to vote for Parv, Tyson would jump ship. That's not at all what happened, based on Tyson's interviews. Tyson was afraid of the split vote plan, having fallen to it once before, so he approached Russell.

Jerri appears, based on the show that airs, to be solidly in the alliance, yet, her interviews and comments on CBS.com are showing that she really doesn't like Rob.

03-31-10, 06:55 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Fix?"
Someone at TC, Courtney?, did mention that Rob is a polarizing figure; people either like him or don't and that he's been in the center of a lot of controversy. Hardly see Rob's alliance as tight; figure Sandra for sure will change her vote whenever it's to her advantage.

03-30-10, 01:35 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Fix?"
"If that's the case, then the problem was poor editing (also not unheard of on Survivor). It should have been clear to the viewers that Russell's move on Tyson was based on something concrete."

Why? Episodes aren't edited to ensure we know what's happening. They're edited the opposite way: to keep us in the dark so that tribal is more suspenseful. Which is annoying when we want to go back and see what really happened. However, the show is produced for people to watch it the first time through, not for nit-pickers.

03-30-10, 03:01 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Fix?"
I only saw the show one time through -- I don't record it -- and it registered. When Russell started talking to Tyson I immediately thought "wait -- how does Russell know Tyson is voting for him and not Parvati? Did I miss something?"

So I figured we'd get a subsequent confessional where Russell said how Tyson spilled the beans, or something to make clear how Russell knew. But no.

I still say it was poor editing. It wouldn't have affected the suspense at all to fill that little logic link in for the viewers.

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-30-10, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Fix?"
If they wanted to fix it they would have just had tyson flip his vote to somebody that those three were voting for.

What basically happened was that tyson assumed that russ would vote parv to save his idol, Tyson got greedy and likely assumed that he could use the idol too if he voted russ's way so he flipped to parv.

Russ likely knew who was voting for who through tysons big mouth, not to mention tyson was telling russ to vote for parv or he was going home

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

04-02-10, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Fix?"
>I have always thought that players
>who cried "Fix" were just
>sore losers, but after last
>night I'm re-thinking my position.
> Tyson's vote simply made
>no sense at all.
>There's no way to slice
>exlpain or understand why he
>voted Parvati.
>
>If Russell was telling the truth,
>then he didn't need to
>vote for Parvati - she
>would have been gone.
>If she had or played
>the immunity idol, then he
>couldn't have gotten her no
>matter what. If Russel
>had or played the idol
>then Parvati would have been
>gone on the re-vote.
>There was ZERO upside to
>switching his vote. NONE.
> It makes no sense.
> I saw no mullets
>at Tribal last night, so
>there was no one there
>stupid enough to throw an
>extra vote at what was
>either a sure thing or
>that had zero chance of
>happening.
>
>It's no secret that Jeff (and
>probably EPMB) love the chaos
>that Russell brings to the
>game. I have little
>problem believing that Tyson was
>pressured or paid to essentially
>vote himself out of the
>game. it makes more
>sense than any other explanation.

I could not disagree with the original poster.....anymore than I do.

Tysons vote made perfect sense....he did not want to be the "puppet"....can not think of the word given on Big Brother. He freaked out. He thought...no way Russell gives his immunity to Paverti and this elimates the need for a revote. Did Tyson know fo sure there'd be a revote? Maybe maybe not.

Also, Russell or Boston Rob? Who provided better ratings? I might argue Boston Rob did. So I see no reason why Survivor would fix things.

Myself, I almost don't feel like watching anymore without Boston Rob. I was rooting for Boston Rob....now who do I root for?

04-02-10, 04:37 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Fix?"
"now who do I root for?"

The game, the story. I always root for a good story.

04-02-10, 05:46 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Fix?"
Well, the story just took a turn for crap.

>

04-03-10, 02:24 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Fix?"
No, a chapter ended, a new one is beginning. The Heroes have it together, or so they say. The Villains are weakened but still have the numbers. I say that's interesting.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •