The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Crystal/Ken alliance."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-07-08, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Crystal/Ken alliance."
This is one of the oddest pairings we've ever seen: the Olympic-class athlete and world-ranked gamer. Outside of the game, there's virtually no way these two would ever come together: the circles they move in don't get within fifty miles of intersection.

But this is the game -- and they've bonded. At least for the moment, there's real loyalty here: Crystal was given an honest offer to jump into the majority, try to work from there, and rejected it because it meant abandoning her partner. (Yes, I believe Marcus was sincere about swapping her for Susie.)

What do they each bring to the table? Ken has a decent understanding of the game and a little ability to manipulate -- a little: it was Sugar -- but his people-reading skills aren't the best and if you're looking for standard-issue charisma, some would argue it just went out the door. You'd think Crystal would bring physical ability and protection, shielding Ken via challenge wins -- but then, we've seen Crystal in action, and those ten-pound shoes can even drag on her arms. More than anything, this seems to be a team of outcasts -- both on the outs for a lack of talent.

It's a weird partnership. And it's all the stranger for actually working.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. SpotTheDifference 11-07-08 1
   RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. garcor 11-07-08 2
 RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. mia rules18 11-07-08 3
 RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. Jims02 11-07-08 4
   RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. BOYmeetsREALITY 11-09-08 5
       RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. iltarion 11-09-08 6
 RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance. Aruba 11-10-08 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SpotTheDifference 906 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

11-07-08, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SpotTheDifference Click to send private message to SpotTheDifference Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
I actually like this alliance. They're dysfunctional, sure, but like you said, this seems to be a season where dysfunctional works, at least strategically.

Another thing I guess that solidifies them as a team is that they've suffered together in Fang, and now in Kota. They've barely tasted any victories, and both were major factors for the two wins that they have.

That, and I don't think they really have a choice. Marcus' offer just wasn't that enticing, IMHO. An almost sure shot at final 5 is much better than a shaky offer for final 6.

What may be interesting is that these two are one of the earliest pairs we've seen talking strategy way back in episode 1, but this is one for the spoiler / spec forums.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

garcor 432 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-07-08, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
I do like the alliance, and it has worked so far.

mia rules18 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-07-08, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mia%20rules18 Click to send private message to mia%20rules18 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
Yep, Crystal earned some respect in my book last night, by not being swayed by Marcus, sticking with Ken and nabbing Susie. Looked like Marcus was blindsided...It will be interesting to see how this alliance plays out...

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-07-08, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
They're a really neat alliance, because it's one of the rare 2-person alliances that we've seen both players save each other. Had Ken allowed Ace's plan to boot Crystal go through last week, she wouldn't have been around to work on Susie this week. Sometimes, in these 2-person alliances, one person ends up doing all of the work (Rob/Amber).

They're also both really non-threatening to approach, which would explain how easily Sugar bought into Ken's stories, and why Marcus felt like Crystal was someone to use. The bond between them has been underestimated so far, so they did a good job hiding the strength of their alliance. Did Matty really expect Ken to give up Crystal? Did Marcus expect Crystal to give up Ken? Probably.

Now, it should be clear as day as to the strength of their alliance, which puts it in some danger. It should be interesting to see what Sugar would do if she ever ended up with Ken and Crystal again. It depends if Matty makes it too, I guess.

Pooky is the Mole.

BOYmeetsREALITY 308 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-09-08, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BOYmeetsREALITY Click to send private message to BOYmeetsREALITY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-08 AT 05:09 PM (EST)

You might as well just call them "Useless" and "Useless-er"!

Those two are a Survivior Casting agents wet dream, but are exactly what's going wrong with the show.

In my opinion, Survivior was much better when it focused on competitors who were more likely to try and OUTLAST and OUTPLAY the others, while making substantial contribnutions to their teams camp life, rather than those who contribute nothing to their respective teams and partner up to try and OUTWIT everyone else - all while sharing the equivalent of one normal brain!

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-09-08, 10:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
BMR, I agree 100%. Very well put. Many of us have echoed these same sentiments, except maybe with more ramble and less clarity. This is Survivor, afterall. If we want to watch a bunch of people outwit each other, we could just watch a chess match or Jeopardy. Anyway, a point I belabor to death, is that lying is not outwitting anyway. One has nothing to do with the other. It was pathetic for Cyrstal to suggest she was outwitting Marcus because he meant his promise to not write her name down, while she did not. There is something wrong when two people make a promise to each other, and the person who is lying then thinks they are superior. Pathetic.
Let's not give Crystal too much respect over her holding tight to her little Kenny. The whole thing reeked more of arrogance than anything else. She probably already had a notion that Suzie might vote with them, or she just might not have been concerned since Ken was the one who's neck was on the line, not hers.

>

Aruba 1891 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-10-08, 07:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Crystal/Ken alliance."
The fact that both are inept, poor in challenges, and are not perceived as threats makes them a perfect pair. Gender and ethnicity have been largely overplayed and aside from a few exceptions really doesn't make much difference in this game. The only divide I believe has ever been a consistent factor in Survivor has been age.

And with the ridiculous THREE tribal switches this season, and Ken & Crystal never being separated among all this asinine flip-flopping, it can only strengthen the bond between them...until a potential merge of course.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •