The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-18-12, 11:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
Discuss the new twists and HII rules. No spoilers here so that everyone can read it ... I have added some Headings to make it easy to jump to the point of interest. The headings are mine; the rest of the text is Dalton Ross.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/18/survivor-one-world-new-cast-revealed/
'Survivor: One World': New cast and new twists revealed!
by Dalton Ross

"A little person, a gay Republican, and not one but two men obsessed with Tarzan are among the 18 new contestants vying for a million dollars when Survivor: One World premieres Feb. 15 on CBS. It is a season filled not only with entirely new contestants, but several format changes as well.

One camp
The biggest change will be that both tribes will live together at the same camp. The show experimented with this format briefly during a fake merge on Survivor: Thailand (and also had 20 contestants live together at the start of Survivor: Palau before splitting them into two tribes) but this will be the first time two separate tribes have cohabitated for an extended period of time.

Men vs. Women
The season will also mark a return to the battle of the sexes format of Survivor: The Amazon and Survivor: Vanuatu with one tribe (Manono) being all men and the other tribe (Salani) being all women. “We wondered what would happen if we forced them to live together with no rules,” says host Jeff Probst. “You can build one camp, two camps, not have any camps. Men can sleep over with the women, women can sleep over with the men, or you can never talk at all. You can do whatever you want. But when it comes to the challenges, it is men versus women. And that gave us tons of new stuff to play with.”

Redemption gone but may reanimate another season
But that is not the only change to the format. After two seasons, Redemption Island is out, which means that more reward challenges are back in. But the absence of Redemption Island does not mean the twist is completely dead and buried for future installments. “We never want to get locked into anything,” says Probst. “We did the same thing with Exile Island. We left it and then we came back to it and we changed it when we came back. I don’t think Redemption Island is done, necessarily.”

DIY Challenges--No Probst Doesn't Mean No Host
Among the other new wrinkles is the introduction of something Probst calls “Do It Yourself Challenges,” a few of which will be sprinkled throughout the season. (A similar experiment took place on Survivor: Samoa when confused contestants arrived at a challenge only to find some crates and no Probst.)

This time, these Probst-less competitions will take place back at camp. Tribes will receive materials and instructions informing them of the rules so that they can then conduct their own challenge. “So they figure out how they’re going to run it, who’s going to participate, and then they run it,” Probst explains. “There’s no judge there. There’s no person to moderate it. You guys figure it out. We were hoping somebody might step up and decide to become the annoying host and say things like, ‘Pick up the pace! You dropped a coconut!’ And sure enough, that’s what happens.”

But the impact felt from these Do It Yourself Challenges will not stop there. “You have the question of, what do you do with all the materials from the challenge?” says Probst. “In one case, we do a challenge with a gigantic rope and when you’re done, you have this massive rope and now you can utilize it in your camp somehow.”

HII Politicking
The way hidden immunity idols are played will also be different in season 24. This time, there will be two idols hidden at the camp — one for each tribe — but finding your tribe’s idol does not guarantee your safety. Instead, as Probst explains, “When you find the idol, you can’t use it for yourself. You have to give it to someone from the other tribe.” The trick will be picking the right person to give it to, and perhaps getting concessions in return — not to mention lobbying for the other team’s idol once someone finds it.

First little person
As for the contestants, early attention will surely be on Leif Manson, Survivor’s first little person. “It’s great because he’s a fan of the show,” says Probst. “He wants to be out there and he’s well aware that this is a show in which any difference can get you voted out, and he comes with a very clear physical difference — he’s half the size of anybody else.”

Colton the Villain
Of course, no Survivor is complete without a villain, and Probst says this season’s baddie comes in the form of gay Republican Colton Cumbie. “He doesn’t know it, but he is a full-on villain. He thinks he’s the most charming guy ever. He’s a devil and I don’t even think he’s disguised.”

Tarzan and Troyzan
And in the truly bizarre category, Survivor: One World features one contestant (plastic surgeon Greg Smith) who insists on being called Tarzan, and another (Sports Illustrated swimsuit-model photographer Troy Robertson) who goes by the nickname of Troyzan. (Sadly, none of the women are named Jane.)

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... PepeLePew13 01-19-12 1
   RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Estee 01-19-12 3
   RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... michel 01-20-12 7
 RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Estee 01-19-12 2
 RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Brownroach 01-20-12 4
   RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... jbug 01-20-12 5
   RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Outfrontgirl 01-20-12 6
       RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... michel 01-20-12 8
   RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... michel 01-20-12 9
       RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Round Robin 01-21-12 10
           RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Estee 01-21-12 11
               RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... michel 01-21-12 12
   RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... tullfan 01-30-12 13
       RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... Brownroach 01-30-12 14
           RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, ... tribephyl 01-30-12 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-12, 01:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"

>DIY Challenges--No Probst Doesn't Mean No
>Host

>Among the other new wrinkles is
>the introduction of something Probst
>calls “Do It Yourself Challenges,”
>a few of which will
>be sprinkled throughout the season.
>(A similar experiment took place
>on Survivor: Samoa when confused
>contestants arrived at a challenge
>only to find some crates
>and no Probst.)

I thought it was kind of lame when it was on Samoa - and I'm not sure I like this twist as there's the potential for a sharp contestant to figure out a way to abuse this to give one team an unfair advantage in some manner.

>HII Politicking
>The way hidden immunity idols are
>played will also be different
>in season 24. This time,
>there will be two idols
>hidden at the camp —
>one for each tribe —
>but finding your tribe’s idol
>does not guarantee your safety.
>Instead, as Probst explains, “When
>you find the idol, you
>can’t use it for yourself.
>You have to give it
>to someone from the other
>tribe.” The trick will be
>picking the right person to
>give it to, and perhaps
>getting concessions in return —
>not to mention lobbying for
>the other team’s idol once
>someone finds it.

Cool idea... this will go a long way toward breaking up iron-clad alliances and encourage mixing things up.

>First little person
>As for the contestants, early attention
>will surely be on Leif
>Manson, Survivor’s first little person.
>“It’s great because he’s a
>fan of the show,” says
>Probst. “He wants to be
>out there and he’s well
>aware that this is a
>show in which any difference
>can get you voted out,
>and he comes with a
>very clear physical difference —
>he’s half the size of
>anybody else.”

Wrong... Russhole was the first little person!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-12, 07:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
LAST EDITED ON 01-19-12 AT 07:29 AM (EST)

The idol games are solidly screaming 'We will have a cross-tribal alliance if we have to handcuff players together!' Or at least set up the opportunity for some cross-tribal backstabbing, which is so much easier to edit. But this feels like a failure going in. Once you've given up your idol, you've done just that: given up your idol. You have no protection of any kind, no guarantees of your safety, and you've handed over protection to someone who is now free to conspire against you without instant consequences. It's the series equivalent of making an in-challenge deal to throw HoH when you're one of the last two people standing. Yeah, that never backfires -- more than 90% of the time. The typical reaction to being given an idol will be smiles and swears of loyalty and so much love all around, followed by a dash into confessional to scream "YOU FOOL!"

I know what they want here. I don't believe there's any real chance for it to work -- not if the groups manage a tribal identity in this setting. 'We're a random scramble of people who play on different sides during challenges', maybe -- but anyone who doesn't feel that way will backlash on you. With a romantic connection -- okay, but what are your odds? Maybe that's the reason for all the mactors: they need people who can fake a soap script...

I'm not sure I like this twist as there's the potential for a sharp contestant to figure out a way to abuse this to give one team an unfair advantage in some manner.

But it got Jiffie to admit that he's A. annoying and B. unnecessary, so I like it already.

The main problem here may be making sure all players have full access to challenge rules. If one person gets the sheet, keeps it to hirself, and directs the whole thing, then we're in Buddha territory: invent your rival's loss for fun and profit. Beyond that, outsmarting the challenge designs is part of the game. And might be a little easier without an annoying and unnecessary host in your ear.

I'm more curious to see what can be done with challenge materials. A typical season has Production throw enough wood, rope, and assorted bits of metal onto the field to create your own mini-mall. They can't afford to be that materials-intensive with an untrained labor pool, but there's still going to be some curious debris tossed around the camp. A creative player could make home base interesting in a hurry -- which just about guarantees they didn't cast one.

Males vs. females always asks the question of physical challenge design: how you compensate for strength and size differences between the genders to make things fair -- or, given the production priorities of late, if you even bother to try. I'll be looking for early distortions and tilted playing fields to tell me which group the show wants Pagonged and which will be doing the Pagonging.

(It just hit me: tribal swaps are going to be a nightmare here for all involved. You've just been sent over to the other side and you still have full daily contact with everyone you used to partner with. No one is going to trust you. Not only are you a stranger in the group, but you can pass information t the enemy by walking three feet.)

As for Lief... well, the challenges won't be designed to give him an even playing field either, and some could be impossible once we hit individual play. (Eight-foot jump-and-grip smooth wall with no rope in the middle of an obstacle course. And a good time was had by none.) But if you love Rescue Cot, this probably guarantees its return.

His plus side is that if he wants to, he can play I Am Not A Challenge Threat in the minds of the others and be safe for part of the individual stage. But getting there means telling a bunch of mactors to accept someone who isn't them as part of the group.

Good luck with that.

ETA: I keep thinking this is going to come down to tribal identity. Does the majority of the cast see themselves as a group of free agents who can associate and ally with anyone they choose (and just happens to split up for challenges), or will they personally see it -- and play it -- as men vs. women? Keeping them together in a single setting might be enough to blur the lines -- but erase? That's the social experiment: we told you to vote as two nations, but live as one. With no conflict other than the format we allow.

And thus fell Jerusalem. Or if you like, the States...

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-12, 11:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
"Wrong... Russhole was the first little person"

I thought the first was Clay!

And we have had another small person since RussHell:

01-19-12, 06:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
gay Republican Colton Cumbie

'Oh yes, I agree with you completely. I have no right to play this game. They never should have tortured heterosexual people by forcing them to put up with my presence. In fact, I know my merely being on network television is corrupting Christian families everywhere right now. I'm very sorry about this. I don't know what I was thinking. Don't even bother voting me out: I'll just head for the ocean and drown myself.'

We're at the point where 'gay Republican' has become the rough equivalent to 'Jewish Nazi.' You may hate yourself that much, but stop trying to take people with you.

Brownroach 14241 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-12, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
This time, there will be two idols hidden at the camp — one for each tribe — but finding your tribe’s idol does not guarantee your safety. Instead, as Probst explains, “When you find the idol, you can’t use it for yourself. You have to give it to someone from the other tribe.”

This twist is probably revealed only when the idol is found, not by Probst beforehand. Otherwise there would be an incentive to not bother looking for it.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-12, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-12 AT 05:55 PM (EST)

what is to keep 2 someones from the same tribe from finding the 2 idols?

BTW, OFG, I love this thread! I try to avoid real spoiler stuff; this is right up my alley! Thanks,

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-12, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
The twist seems like an offshoot of the China HII rules, only there it was a clue to the HII that went to the person who got "borrowed" by the other tribe. The clue had to be shared with someone of the other tribe, and the person who had the clue really had no chance to find the HII.

IIRC, Leslie's enthusiasm about her contact with the opposite tribe was one of the factors contributing to her early boot. This new rule seems like it could be a minefield for someone who wants to play too hard, too soon.

01-20-12, 11:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
Yes, Leslie told Fei Long that she liked the other tribe because they had good Christians there. However, telling Todd about the idol clue didn't help her: Todd figured eliminating her meant he'd be the only left who knew anything about the idol.

01-20-12, 11:51 PM (EST)
9. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
What I am wondering is how much time is allowed between finding the idol and handing it out. If one can hold on to it for a while, the deals could get interesting. If he has to hand it out within a short time, then there's no real leverage.

I think it will be a big waste like when John K gave an idol to Ami. That didn't help him at all.

Round Robin 2243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-21-12, 02:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
If I found one and had to give it to somebody immediately, if I didn't have a cross tribal alliance with anybody yet I'd give it to the weakest person on the other tribe.

01-21-12, 05:32 AM (EST)
11. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
It's been done -- Kathleen. Admittedly with a one-Council public idol, but it did play a small part. Admittedly, that turned into an Eat The Strong season which chowed down on anyone who could lift their own hands, but the idol didn't really trigger it...

I think there has to be a stated time limit: the show loves the panicked uninformed wrong decision too much. But I think it's also a variable one: you have to make the transfer before anyone leaves for the next Tribal Council, giving you a deadline ranging from two and a half days to one second.

01-21-12, 01:42 PM (EST)
12. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
Kathleen's idol did make Mikey B overplay the game and gave the opening that Joel needed to go against his rival but everyone knew that Kathleen had the idol and feared she'd give it to Chet.

Giving it to the weakest player could work if it is kept quiet but what would the advantage be to give it to that weak player? Messing with the other side? That would be a temporary advantage at best. I'd rather give it to someone that I could align with and that could help me down the line. Meaning someone that has a good chance of making it to the merge.

The closest we've seen to this twist was in Tocantins where the idols helped form a cross-tribal alliance. That alliance failed miserably but it could have worked with different personalities. In fact, it sort of did because Joe and Erinn also formed a cross-tribal alliance during their exile and that led Erinn to Stephen and their F2 deal.

tullfan 69 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-30-12, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tullfan Click to send private message to tullfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
Wanted to point out that what Probst said about how the HII works contradicts what was said in this article. In the TV Guide special, Probst said that 2 idols, one for each tribe, are hidden at camp and that there are no clues. If you find the idol for your tribe, you can keep it for yourself to use as was alwaysthe case for the HII. The negotiation process is only relevant if you find the HII that belongs to the other tribe.

Brownroach 14241 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-12, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
That makes much more sense.

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-12, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: EW: S24 twists, new HII rules, some no-Probst challenges (spoiler free)"
yup. geez, JP. I know you get excited but wow. could you please just explain things like an adult?</finish berating tvhost>

Okay. If they find their idol, they keep it.
If they find the other tribe idol, they give it away.
No hoarding idols.
Good.
I'm thinking it's only a *hype* RULE *cough* because it actually happened and where JP was going with this is that someone WILL find the other tribe's idol and WILL have to make the decision as to who to give it to. However, also knowing that their idol is still out there (if it hasn't already been found) makes much more sense.
AND solves the "well I just won't look for an idol" anti-strategy effect from forcing them to donate any found idol.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •