The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Money Hungry"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-25-10, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Money Hungry"
VH1 took The Biggest Loser and the never-produced Tontine, then brought them together in extremely unholy matrimony.

This part may look familiar: twelve teams of two people each gathered together at a first-class weight loss facility. All of these people want to lose weight. Badly. So badly that they've come to this as a last resort. There will be exercise, challenges, lots of screaming, one team eliminated every week, and the last team standing gets to split $100,000. Which means that at this point in the proceedings, it's BL on a budget.

And what a small budget it is. Because the show didn't put up the prize money. The contestants did. Each team gave the show $10,000 of their own cash in order to get here. This money turned into the winner's jackpot. (What happened to the extra 20k? The host needs to get a salary, remember?) When you're eliminated, you not only get to wave goodbye to the trainers, machines, and brightly-colored shirts, you have the rare honor of kissing your funds goodbye. Eleven teams will have the honor of paying for what might be the world's most expensive weight loss camp. And the twelfth will take those entrance fees to the bank.

This could become very personal, very fast.

Premieres early August (2nd or 3rd, depending on the source). Dan Cortese hosts.

Gawds help us all if Big Brother tries this twist out.

It gets uglier than this. But possibly not much.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 *blink* Estee 08-03-10 1
   RE: *blink* vince3 08-03-10 2
       RE: *blink* Estee 08-03-10 3
 Elimination format. Estee 08-10-10 4
 Nurse John would be so proud. Estee 08-17-10 5
   RE: Nurse John would be so proud. LFJ 08-17-10 6
       Money Hungry Vh1 NinoBrown 08-27-10 7
           RE: Money Hungry Vh1 kidflash212 07-10-16 14
 RE: Money Hungry Estee 08-31-10 8
 I figured out Phillip's weight prob... Estee 09-09-10 9
   RE: I figured out Phillip's weight ... Starshine 09-13-10 10
       RE: I figured out Phillip's weight ... Estee 09-13-10 11
           RE: I figured out Phillip's weight ... udg 09-14-10 12
               RE: I figured out Phillip's weight ... toad8098 09-24-10 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

08-03-10, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "*blink*"
LAST EDITED ON 08-03-10 AT 04:28 PM (EST)

Keep in mind that I'm only saying this about the premiere, the twists have yet to come and will probably ruin everything when they arrive, and entropy loves to increase, but --

-- just for now --

-- it's better than The Biggest Loser.

Count the improvements.

1. One-hour show. No product placement commercials, no endless filler material to take up a hole in the schedule, and especially no thirty minute weigh-in with a scale that can't find a number in less than a full commercial break. And in that time, they still managed to present a complete episode.

2. Twenty-four contestants -- and we spent a little time with pretty much every last one of them. There was some skilled editing going on here. I have at least a basic (presented) read on most of the personalities in the house after that lone hour: recent editions of Survivor haven't been able to manage that in six weeks.

3. Some decent casting (and that's really a subject-to-change first impression call). As the contestants themselves have noted, needing to put up 10K to get in doesn't keep out the ones looking for camera time, but it does require an extra level of commitment. (We did have the one confessional still looking for proof that this wasn't a scam.) If you're here, you're really serious about making the attempt. Ten thousand dollars is not a casual amount of money for these people, and that's not counting what they lose from being away from work for an extended period. They have to fight: going home early means more than one kind of hardship.

4. Great team names. The show may have ripped off the T-shirts, but not the boring 'pink team' designation which goes with it. Instead, we got creative moments of low genius like Roll Models, Mission Slimpossible, Chicago Deep Dish, Grading Curves, Slenderellas, and Flabulous. Now that's how you ID yourself on a reality show -- and as a special bonus, they saved us a little work in making this stuff up.

5. People stay dressed during the weigh-ins. BL has always had a nasty touch of publicly-viewed attack in the removal of shirts before stepping on the scale: this show left that first moment of sadism out. The scale can figure for clothing, thankee.

6. There were a few cute touches in the editing, and no one's afraid to bring out the F/X.

7. The contestants are visibly on their own. You cook for yourself, and temptations are everywhere. You work out as long as you want to: there's a trainer, but it's just one for the whole cast -- and his only job is to show them how to exercise. He's not screaming in their faces. He's not pushing them to the point of collapse just to show how well he can sell his next book. The contestants do a pretty good job of pushing themselves too far without any extra encouragement.

8. On-site physician, on camera, on standby.

9. The host is doing a decent job so far, which mostly means he's known how to show up and stand on his mark. We'll see how he does with challenges when we get to the first one -- the premiere just had introductions, initial workouts, and the first weigh-ins.

10. This bears repeating: the scale moves in one direction. It has a physical dial with a needle instead of Digital Jumping Beans: the needle moves around the dial and stops on a number. I almost cheered when I saw that scale in action. I didn't realize just how sick I was of the BL scale until I didn't have to deal with it...

But with positives, there have to be some negatives...

-1. The season preview footage may have given away some of the longer-surviving teams. It definitely gave away some of the twists. At some point, we are going to voting. Which means alliances. Possibly watering up. We already had a team shave themselves in the hopes of picking up a few ounces. Once the game angle really kicks in, things may head downhill in a hurry.

-2. That bus was rigged.

-3. Phillip. Oh gawds, Phillip...

Well, here's a personality whose totality we may not have seen on a reality show to date. But I'm not bashing him for that, nor am I going after him for his drunkathon, the post-all-clothing-removal hot tub segment, the aftermath of the drunkathon, or his openly feeling regret for another team going home. Instead --

*thinks hard about how to keep this within PG-13 standards*

-- I'd just like to make this request.

If you're a male, and you're capable of doing what Phillip did shortly after entering the hot tub?

Don't.

(You'll know it when you see it. And you can never, ever unsee it.)

Minor change to the information in the starter post: the second-place team does get their entrance fee back.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

08-03-10, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: *blink*"
That still leaves about $10k for the production company, though, I guess...

08-03-10, 07:16 PM (EST)
3. "RE: *blink*"
Actually, the math balances in the end -- it turns out the winning team gets the 100K back on top of their entrance fee. So all money collected is disbursed.

BTW, these people are quote machines. There's at least a half-dozen killer lines/exchanges in the first hour.

08-10-10, 09:06 AM (EST)
4. "Elimination format."
The first show worked as 'lowest percentage of weight lost in the entire contestant pool goes home'. This episode -- and presumably on deep into the future -- goes like this.

1. The week starts with a challenge. Whichever team wins it gets Immunity -- and the option to award another Immunity to the team of their personal choice. (You don't have to if you don't want to.) The last-place team is automatically nominated for elimination.

2. The entire group (immune and last-place teams included) votes: one ballot (or bite of an apple. What is this, Forever Eden?) per team. The team with the most votes cast against them is the second nominee pair. The contestants have a day or two of campaigning before they vote, and the results of the vote are not revealed until the weekly cycle concludes with the weigh-in.

3. Everyone weighs in. (If the challenge winners want to grant an Immunity, they do so just before the weighing begins.) The Immune team(s) go first. This is followed by the challenge losers, who have their percentage posted. Every team which weighs in after has their loss compared to the nominated team -- then gets told if they were the ones voted on. Once we know who the voted-in team is, the numbers are checked for them and the challenge losers. Lowest percentage of weight loss leaves.

There's a lot of implications here, but high on the list is that only the challenge winners can afford to water up, cut back the pace, and other BL tricks known and loathed by all -- while the challenge losers know they're in trouble immediately and have not only incentive to step up their pace, but the most time to work on things before the weigh-in. The voted team may have suspicions about needing to put in extra effort, but they don't officially find out that they're in trouble until they're pretty much on the scale. You can blindside people under this system, and it nearly happened on the first attempt -- the vote split 6-5, and the '5' team thought it was going to be an 11-0 thrashing of their own target.

There's also this: any team that doesn't win Immunity or have it granted is potentially in trouble. The house can gang up on the big dogs if it wants to -- but the people they gang up on are automatically set against that week's challenge losers. Unless you personally throw a challenge so you can go against the house target, you have half-control at best -- and throwing a challenge to place yourself on the block? Does that sound like the world's best idea?

Part vote, part meritocracy. It's an interesting fusion -- let's see if they can make it work.

08-17-10, 12:58 PM (EST)
5. "Nurse John would be so proud."
"With ten teams left in the game, we've made a solid alliance of five. That means we can openly bully the other teams before picking them off in any order we feel like. What are they going to do, form a counter-alliance, force a tie at the vote, and then win the tiebreaker? That's just crazy talk!"

Obviously.

Family vs. Orphanage?

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-17-10, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Nurse John would be so proud."
I actually caught this last night.

My impression of at least one, if not more, of the males is that morbid obesity has wreaked havoc with testosterone levels. Estrogen has taken over. That smooth skin (while pendulous) isn't just the result of excess adipose tissue.

FWIW, I would hate to have to perfrom CPR on any one of these "competitors". Can you imagine trying to compress the rib cage of, or force breath into one of these huge people?

I would bet that $10K would buy them bariatric surgery, unless they have too many other physical liabilities to qualify as surgical candidates. One is a 24 yr old male with Insulin dependent diabetes.

May they all live long past the competition and prosper!

NinoBrown 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-27-10, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail NinoBrown Click to send private message to NinoBrown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Money Hungry Vh1"
I love this show this has to be one of the best reality shows I've seen in a while

kidflash212 4618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Money Hungry Vh1"
Really?

08-31-10, 02:44 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Money Hungry"
'We award Immunity to -- nobody!'

What?

They may regret that one.

09-09-10, 03:01 PM (EST)
9. "I figured out Phillip's weight problem."
His ego comes in at 280 lbs.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-10, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: I figured out Phillip's weight problem."
Just watched the first 5 shows, and I have an issue with this programme.

Virtually no teams seem to want to lose weight, Philip obviously couldn't give a damn, he just wants to be on TV and to control the show, but most of the others are no better.

It's like Survivor with a little bit of weightloss thrown in. To me the point of a weightloss show should be to lose weight, call me naive if you like.

09-13-10, 12:44 PM (EST)
11. "RE: I figured out Phillip's weight problem."
It got worse -- this week, the Immune teams figured out 'watering up'.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-14-10, 01:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: I figured out Phillip's weight problem."
Apparently, so did the teams without immunity. WTF?

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

toad8098 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-24-10, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toad8098 Click to send private message to toad8098 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: I figured out Phillip's weight problem."
this show has very little to do with losing weight.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •