The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Season 4, Episode 4"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-03-08, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Season 4, Episode 4"
Is it just me or is this season’s crop of chefs particularly arrogant? Granted, I missed the first season, but I can’t recall ever seeing the chefs argue with the judges so much and so openly voice their disdain about the judges opinions (while out of the judges earshot mind you). Of course, not all of the chefs fall into this category but there seems to be at least three or four that stand out as argumentative and big-headed. I guess I expect the chefs to disparage the other contestants but I would have expected them to be more respectful of the judges' opinions, especially the guest judges who are typically world renowned.

Even Hung last season, who I thought was pretty arrogant, still seemed to respect the judges’ opinions even though he didn’t usually agree with their negative comments about his food. Now he looks modest and gracious in comparison.

I found Spike and (woman with ugly big earrings who I find completely unmemorable)’s conversation last night, about how off base the judges’ opinions were, to be hysterical and obnoxious at the same time. Her statement that if the judges were looking for flavor combinations like celery root, white chocolate and wasabi that she was, in effect, wasting her time being there was mind-boggling to me. It’s a question that seems to come up for every reality show but I feel I must ask it: Have they never seen this show before??? Of course the judges are looking for innovative and daring flavor combinations! That’s what makes it Top Chef and not Top Line Cook.

Spike is particularly argumentative and conceited about his food. I must say I loved it when Colicchio (or was it Padma?) told him that all 12(?) of the guests had rated his dish last. You could practically hear the crickets in the room! Ah well, at least he is entertaining. But there is a fine line between entertaining and just plain annoying and the previews for next week do not bode well.

Did the hiatus between seasons just dull my memory? Has every season had this level of arrogance and hubris?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Season 4, Episode 4 KwietOne 04-03-08 1
 RE: Season 4, Episode 4 sailawayklm 04-03-08 2
   RE: Season 4, Episode 4 txriverwillow 04-03-08 3
 RE: Season 4, Episode 4 ginger 04-03-08 4
   RE: Season 4, Episode 4 dabo 04-04-08 5
   RE: Season 4, Episode 4 geg6 04-04-08 6
 RE: Season 4, Episode 4 ginger 04-04-08 7
 So your Movie and Dish would be . .... dajaki 04-04-08 8
 Chocolat aquariaqueen 04-04-08 9
 RE: Season 4, Episode 4 Fishercat 04-04-08 10
 RE: Season 4, Episode 4 JoshInSGV 04-11-08 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KwietOne 1083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-03-08, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
The one with the big earrings was Zoi.

Did you notice that "Queer Eye" guy gave that incredulous look to Richard Roeper (that film critic guy) who thought a particular dish was rather tasty? So funny...

I noticed the arrogance with Hung last season, but it's more noticeable since they obviously have a better crop this time around. Think Andrew, Dale, Zoi...oh my, a bunch this season.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

sailawayklm 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-03-08, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sailawayklm Click to send private message to sailawayklm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
I think the judges are becoming more and more pretentious. I realize that it's a competition, but they seem almost jaded. I had my doubts in episode 1 when Rocco(psycho chef)answered the door. That guy is way beyond eccentric or even colorful. Did you ever watch "The Restaurant"? Whoa Nelly!!!! Big issues on his part.

As for Richard winning the elimination round, what a coincedence. Didn't he once work for the guest chef Daniel Boulud? Richard is definitely an amazing chef. Total "balls to the wall" in the chance taking department. I liked him from the start, with all his gadgets. Smoking Ras al Hanout. Ok I'm ready for a gastronomic education.

txriverwillow 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-03-08, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail txriverwillow Click to send private message to txriverwillow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
Daniel even pointed out that Richard had worked for him before at the beginning of the competition.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-03-08, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
I think this may be a group that has a better collective resume than in previous seasons. We have more people attached to actual prospering restaurants. Also, I am thinking that the success of people like Bourdain, or last season's Hung, is making people feel like being a chef means showing off your 'tude. And for many chefs, it does.

Also, I am wondering if contestants are being encouraged to act up for the cameras a little more, a la "Real World" producer manipulation.

Spike's a jerk, though. I haven't seen the episode yet, but Spike's a jerk.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

04-04-08, 01:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
Or the show may have caught Survivoritis.

I'm gonna be the Jonny Fairplay this season!
Nuh-uh, I am!
Ha, watch me tell off the judges, top me now!
Stand aside, boys, I can Jerri with the best of them, I call a foul on that chocolate jerky!
I am the ghost of corndogs past, I curse you all to upscale tacos!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-04-08, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
As someone who has known and worked many chefs in my day...

If you don't have 'tude, you're not really a chef. Bourdain's book is spot on as to how life in the kitchen really is. As my sister (a manager of fine dining establishments up and down the East Coast for the last 30 years) can attest to in great detail and with great hilarity.

The problem for many of the people on the show, most of whom are still just really neophytes, they don't know when to turn the 'tude off. A good and experienced chef knows.

"Not this time." Barack Obama 3-18-08

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

04-04-08, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
So I watched the episode and it's ironic given the topic of this thresd how well Stephanie does. She has less tude than the rest and yet she continually triumphs. I wanted to taste her food.

I also really liked the Christmas Story idea. The Wonka was a good idea, too.

Funny how recent all the movie choices were - no one picked Godfather for canoles or Dr. Zhivago for a nice borscht. I must be getting old.

Spike's still a jerk.

dajaki 1453 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-04-08, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "So your Movie and Dish would be . . ."
I love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Summer in the south of France, Michael Caine, Steve Martin, Glenne Headley. I would have done something light and lemony with an unexpected twist in the end. Maybe a chicken dish or a dessert.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-04-08, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Chocolat"
Ahhhh, I wish I would have smelevision

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-04-08, 09:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
FC's Thoughts

A. The right person was sent home, and the right person won if you assume the best and worst teams to be correct. The Sea Bass was Manuel's fault, and although the story was W-E-A-K for Vietnam. Sure, Spike's contribution was poor too, but if he wasn't comfortable with Vietnamese food in a two-person team...well...

Additionally, really, either Richard or Andrew were fine choices for winner.

B. How impressive is Stephanie? Was she in the top group AGAIN? That's 3 Top groups in four weeks. Damn. For arguably the first time since Season One (I didn't think Casey was THAT great and Elia was flawed), we have a true blue contender to the Top Chef throne on the ladies side, it's well overdue.

C. Unlike most reality shows, it seems that Top Chef (and Project Runway) stock their shows with real talent rather than the typical fodder. It's refreshing to go from American Idol, where they cast a bunch of people to be fodder, to Top Chef where everyone has experience, talent, and skill.

D. I think a disconnect was shown between the chef's tastes and the regular people's tastes. You saw Roeper distinctly disagree with the judges (causing Ted Allen to choke) and another woman give more profuse compliments than the judges did. It really makes you wonder whether the Cheftestants have real complaints when they say they thought their dish was good and the judges disagree. Of course, for a show like Top Chef, I prefer having pro tastes judging, it's important.

E. I thought this was a fantastic challenge. The movie inspiration was a fresh idea, there were no curveballs to mess up the contestants, and the small teams actually made good dishes.

F. Honestly, I thought it was a little weak to bring up the second bad team for that reason. It was supposedly cooked well and it seems the only real question was the story behind it. Were the other four dishes so good to make that a reason for the second worst dish. Oh well.

G. Stop the blitching about the "OMG, they likez teh werd flavaflavs!!!!111!!". They had a good combination, it worked, suck it up.

H. Honestly, either one of the two in the couple could go home any time. Annoying. Annoying.

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-11-08, 01:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Season 4, Episode 4"
I find at least half of the chefs on this season to be annoying and arrogant. Their interactions with each other and the camera look fake and contrived for the sake of creating drama and drawing attention to themselves. I thought this was Top Chef, not The Real World. Specifically, I find Spike, Dale and Andrew to be VERY VERY obnoxious. I can't wait for those three jackasses to go home. I'm just not very impressed with this season at all. The only person that I actually like is Stephanie. I found it endearing that she was very nervous on the first episode, yet she ended up winning the challenge. And, she's performed very well in every challenge, except on the Animal challenge. I hope she makes it to the end.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •