The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Reality? I have Doubts."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-02-11, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Reality? I have Doubts."
How much of Survivor is reality, how much is fixed? I tend to look at things with a cynical eye so I always had reservations regarding SEG’s integrity. Now, with all the legal stuff surrounding Russell and spoiling, it seems a good time to post some thoughts.

For SEG to get involved with the results, there has to be something to gain, something to protect. Which seasons put the Survivor franchise at risk? Which players could have deserved help or protection from SEG's point of view?

The first season was the riskiest of course. A new show is never guaranteed renewal so Survivor could have gone the way of “Treasure Hunters” or even “Pirate Master” before anyone ever heard of it. By Stacy’s case, we know that, when at risk, Burnett wasn’t above doing something to influence the outcome. Rudy was certainly worth his weight in gold to Burnett.

After the first season, Survivor was on a roll, the ratings making it a cash cow. The first risk SEG took, the first real change to a winning formula, came with All-Star. Rob’s dominance caused many big names to be voted out, namely Hatch, Colby and Ethan. Maybe Burnett, like most fans, had an early preference for Mogo Mogo. Or maybe Burnett wanted to protect Rupert. Either way, the swap that sent Amber alone with the opposing tribe was strange to say the least. The odds for that redistribution were very low. Was it fixed?

The challenge that followed should help us with that answer. It was designed for Lex's team to lose, dooming Amber. The only obscure question in the quiz was the one from Borneo that only Jenna would know. Since Rob was trying to throw the challenge to save Amber, it wasn’t enough so they needed a tiebreaker. "Name all the first boots" was made for Rupert because the others didn't really know Nicole, PI airing as they were preparing to leave. We can assume the New Chapera was supposed to lose that challenge.

That way, Rupert was safe and Rob would lose his number one ally. But why would they want to break what would become almost a fairy tale? Two possiblities: Either the staff misjudged Romber’s impact with the fans. (Romance wasn’t well accepted on Survivor. Sure, there had been Colleen and Greg but that was the exception. The only other “pairings” we had seen were Jerri with Colby, Rob with Sarah and Alex with Shawa. Note that, of all those connections, the audience was really happy when the “hussy” was voted out. Maybe SEG thought the reaction would be the same if Amber was voted out.) Or SEG knew about the pre-season alliance between Rob, Lex, Tom and Kathy and wanted to throw a wrench in their plans.

The next big risk was using returning players in Guatemala. The season’s whole promotion turned around the identity of those returning players and how they would fare. Knowing what was at stake and how it turned out, I’d suggest that the game could have been rigged to make sure Stephenie would last deep into the game.

Looking at the tribes’ composition, Steph’s fans will say that production didn’t favor Stephenie because her team was weaker but you can never predict the outcome of the first challenge by tribal composition. Just look at Jaburu vs Tambaqui, Koror vs Ulong, etc...

Instead of making Stephenie’s tribe stronger, they did much better by making sure Yaxha would need Stephenie. Looking at the female cast, it was obvious that Lydia, Morgan and Brianna were the 3 weakest women so the conclusion is that they were put on Yaxha to make sure one of them would leave before Stephenie.

Then, as soon as 2 of those 3 women were voted out, a tribal switch was conveniently scheduled. That tribal switch was like no other we have ever seen; Probst, in effect, having the power to decide who would go where. The net result of that switch was that Stephenie had a sudden numerical advantage, had gotten rid of a huge threat to her safety when the scheming Brian went away and received a huge help when the stupid but loyal Judd came over. The rest, as they say, is history.

But the riskiest of all seasons was Cook Islands. The advertised Race division caused tension with sponsors and cries of boycott from many corners. What did Probst say to defend their season? “Watch how it turns out.” I wonder what he would have said if the F4 had been Adam/Jonathan/Parvati/Candice instead of Aitu’s melting pot. I truly believe that a white supremacy was the last thing Burnett wanted to advertise. We do have proof that he is sensitive to the racial issue because, in Fiji, the African American alliance was taboo; no one was ever heard whispering a single word about it during the episodes.

CI’s green bottle twist has been often cited as possible production tampering: Jeff could have been holding two bottles and ready to hand out a different twist if Aitu had lost. Even with only 1 bottle, the twist in itself favored Aitu, the team trailing in numbers. Not only was Raro less determined to win but seeing 1 or 2 Aitu leave wouldn’t have made a big difference for Raro

The real doubts I have about CI center on Jonathan’s decision to throw away his chances to win the game. He said it himself that flipping on Raro would mean everyone would consider him a bastard. He had no chance of winning against Yul or Ozzy in the end so why go with them? We heard what Big Brother did in the Diary Room to save America’s Player, so it’s possible an interviewer helped Jonathan realize that his planned Caucasian alliance would make him look like a racist, which isn’t a tag that someone working in the entertainment business would want. Jonathan gave SEG what they wanted so was it payback that he was asked back in Micronesia?

And now, we have Samoa:
Why were Shambo and Russell picked for the first challenge in Samoa? Looking at Mick’s options, it’s surprising that he would pick Russell over Ben for the tribe’s strongest player. Ben stood nearly a foot taller and was physically fit. And who in their right mind would look at Shambo and figure she’d be the smartest one around? Is it possible that production told Mick and Swan that they had to incorporate those two players in their line-ups because they had already figured they’d be the ones they’d want to feature? From the pre-game interviews, the producers knew they had two big characters so maybe they tipped the scale from the start.

Another thing that seems obvious from Samoa was that Russell wasn’t shy when it came to talking about his plans. I have no doubt that he boasted he would start looking for idols as soon as he’d hit the beach. I wasn’t a coincidence that the Samoa idols could be found without clues. If the Samoa idols had been hidden as well as the one in Cook Island then Russell would never have found them. Or maybe SEG simply gave him the idols as the current outbreak of spoiler-wars seems to indicate.

Deciding to have no one voted out when Swann went down was much more beneficial to Foa Foa than Galu. Not only does the tribe that is trailing can’t afford the double boots but Galu would have voted out either Monica or Shambutch. Either way, that would have been bad for Foa Foa, erasing part of Galu’s division.

The early merge was a new twist and it certainly helped Foa Foa. The staff saw the fractures in Galu so it was a chance to take. It worked beautifully because, like Natalie said, Galu “had so many”, losing one didn’t seem bad. Then there was the more subtle manipulation, the one that imposed lockdown on the Survivors as soon as Galu agreed to vote out Erik, not letting his allies a chance to reverse the situation. John said that there was only 1 minute between the time he heard Erik was the target and the time producer’s imposed lockdown.

In HvV, we all heard how Russell and Parvati were encouraged to form an alliance. Tyson’s vote against Parvati was so weird that, beyond his explanations, one cannot help but wonder if an interviewer suggested he vote that way. From there, one can suppose that production told Russell that he was safe, that Parvati needed his idol.

In Nicaragua, Marty was the player that most resembled Russell except he found himself in big trouble. Conveniently, an odd team pairing during a reward challenge gave him a big opportunity to get the men working together. Just like the All-Star swap, there was less than a 0.5% chance of getting all the men together for a challenge that they would certainly win. Better still, the only man that wouldn’t agree with Marty’s plan, namely Chase, was forced to sit out. I have a hard time believing in such convenient coincidences.

There it is; nothing new but I think that assembling those doubts one next to the other shows a pattern, something worth questioning. Strange events have happened on the island. It’s not because Lost ended that we can’t ask questions. I doubt we’ll get answers but I was never one that demanded all the answers, just a good understanding of rules of the game.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. Max Headroom 02-04-11 1
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. agman 02-06-11 2
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-06-11 3
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. BrassFan 02-09-11 4
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-09-11 6
       RE: Reality? I have Doubts. Colonel Zoidberg 02-10-11 9
           RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-10-11 10
               RE: Reality? I have Doubts. RollDdice 02-11-11 11
           RE: Reality? I have Doubts. BrassFan 02-11-11 12
               RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-11-11 13
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. suzzee 02-09-11 5
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-09-11 7
       RE: Reality? I have Doubts. suzzee 02-09-11 8
 How could I forget Gabon?! michel 02-12-11 14
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. CTgirl 02-20-11 15
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-21-11 16
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. dabo 02-21-11 17
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. dabo 02-22-11 18
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. iltarion 02-26-11 19
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-27-11 20
       RE: Reality? I have Doubts. iltarion 02-27-11 21
           RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 02-27-11 22
 RE: Reality? I have Doubts. CTgirl 03-02-11 23
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. iltarion 03-03-11 24
       RE: Reality? I have Doubts. CTgirl 03-03-11 25
           RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 03-03-11 26
               RE: Reality? I have Doubts. CTgirl 03-03-11 27
   RE: Reality? I have Doubts. michel 03-03-11 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

02-04-11, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Excellent post, michel. You hit on one of the main reasons why I stopped watching Survivor a couple of seasons ago-- the arbitrariness factor. I don't have the well-documented examples that you do, but it seemed to me that events were manipulated frequently enough to be noticeable to a less observant watcher (me). Got too many alpha-male types? Throw in a challenge with a balance beam and watch the top-heavy men fall off over and over. Got a brainiac running things behind the scenes? Schedule a very physical challenge such as an obstacle course so the brainiac stands out as a poor performer. And so on. The show concept is silly enough to begin with, so why meddle with an already-silly concept? I'm no longer watching, so I can't answer my own question.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-11, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Michel, I agree with both you and Max. I feel this way about ALL reality shows. I stopped watching AI for the same reason. I wonder how much longer survivor can last.

bouncy by Ice Cat

02-06-11, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
The thing is though that I think they were right to interfere in certain circumstances. Certainly in season one, it would have been suicidal if Rudy had been voted out in episode 3 because that would have meant 3 old players leaving in a row. Survivor could have lost a big part of its audience. In CI, Jonathan staying with Adam, Candace and Parvati would also have been awful.

If we remember, Burnett never called it Reality TV but unscripted drama or dramality. Maybe there was more than just a personal preference.

Also, I'm going to continue watching because it's still better than the 12 CSI franchises, the 5 NCIS and even "Criminal Minds" is getting a spin-off.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-09-11, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
That's an interesting and thought provoking post...but, allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a bit....

While there could be some dirty business going on, there is an equally plausible explanation...editing.

Let's stick with the Rob/Amber situation....

You imply that Rob and Amber started getting close, so production rigged the swap to get rid of Amber....

But, perhaps what really happened is...

Rob and Amber were flirting a bit....then, the swap happened....Rob made his offer to Lex...Lex follows through...and Rob knifes him in the back....Rob and Amber end up making a run to the end....

So, in the editing room, knowing how it plays out...They highlight Rob and Amber's budding romance before the swap...Then, they really highlight the Rob/Lex angle.

If Lex and Kathy make the smart move and get rid of Amber, then we likely never see any of the Rob/Amber stuff before the swap. The viewers don't get the "satisfaction" of seeing their relationship/alliance destroyed because it's not really a big story. The big story that we *did* see was that Rob and Amber formed an alliance on day one, it blossomed, and it survived the tribal swap...

02-09-11, 07:14 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
LAST EDITED ON 02-09-11 AT 07:21 PM (EST)

I totally agree with you, that's why I think the swap was so suspicious: If, as you say, Lex and Kathy made the smart move and got rid of Amber then Big Tom would have flipped to join them after the merge. We have a final 4 of Lex, Kathy, Big Tom and Jerri. That would have left Rob and Rupert in the roles of underdogs. A producer's wet dream especially considering that most fans thought Lex and Kathy had been robbed in their original seasons.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-10-11, 07:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
I totally agree with you, that's why I think the swap was so suspicious:

The swap in All-Stars was at random. They showed the buffs being pulled. The odds of Amber staying put and EVERYONE else switching? Same odds as any other tribe combination. It could have been Big Tom going to the other tribe. It could have put each tribe at a 3-2 split, which seems likelier - and seals Mogo Mogo's fate. The problem with that situation wasn't that Amber was left hanging. It was that Rob used a pre-existing friendship with Lex to get what he wanted - two people who didn't know each other couldn't have pulled that off.

The odds of that swap? What were the odds of a men vs. women draw in that challenge in Nicaragua? What were the odds that Paschal draws the purple rock? What are the odds that David Tyree catches a ball with one hand and his helmet in Super Bowl XLII? What are the odds that my lottery numbers come up? We can hash out billions of scenarios for what happened if this or that took place. But just because it turned out a certain way doesn't necessarily mean it's rigged. Give the producers a little more credit than that - there may not be laws against rigging these shows, but I guarantee that producer influence is a lot more subtle than a flat-out game rigging.

The producers can do a lot with just about anyone. A crotchety old Navy SEAL. A goat farmer. A guy sitting and sharpening a machete becomes the ultimate underdog. A chunky guy with a crazy beard. A man in a red tank top manages to outsmart six women bent on wiping him out. A gray-haired firefighter dominates wire-to-wire. Four underdogs embarrass a dominant tribe. A guy reneges on a promise made over a car. Another gambles with two immunity idols - and loses. Another takes his own life in the game - metaphorically, of course - by handing over immunity. Someone plays a perfect game. Someone else destroys his tribe's things. Someone wins the game twice. Two people quit. It's not like EPMB doesn't have much to work with. Sure, we see an edited version, but that doesn't mean it's rigged.

02-10-11, 09:40 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
"What were the odds of a men vs. women draw in that challenge in Nicaragua?"

1/231 which is 0.4%

4 members of each tribe pulling the same color buff: 1/128.

Not impossible odds but it's fascinating how often amazing things come from randomness on Survivor. Take the African "drive-in" reward: Wasn't it just perfect how Frank and Brandon wound up together and then won. Same with the Marquesan tribal feast. Paschal and Sean together worked a lot better than say, Zoe and the General. And, on another note, what did Eliza mean when she wrote that she couldn't comment on some events that happened just before the Leann boot?

Were all those fixed? Maybe not but no one wins the lottery every time they buy a ticket!

Yes, the buffs were picked individually on the air but that proves nothing. Magicians trick people every day.

Why do you think there are so many twists? Twists are the producers' way of changing the game when things don't go the way they like. And, when twists aren't enough, there are other ways to tip the scale.

RollDdice 5659 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-11, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Why do you think there are so many twists? Twists are the producers' way of changing the game when things don't go the way they like. And, when twists aren't enough, there are other ways to tip the scale.

You took the words out of my mouth. I have two comments:

First, my screen name comes from this practice of manufacturing twists (when I popped up during Paradise Hotel). Every time host Amanda Byram would announce "The rules of Paradise Hotel state..." I would reply in disgust, "How do you make these "rules"-- just roll the dice?".

Survivor is a little more polished, but still has to feed the machine in terms of drama, ratings and profits.

Secondly, how do you all remember the Survivor details, cast members, votes and minutiae? I'm in awe!

Bounce or Die by IceCat
"We have a blind date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster." --The Shoveler, Mystery Men.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-11-11, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
>The swap in All-Stars was at
>random. They showed the buffs
>being pulled. The odds of
>Amber staying put and EVERYONE
>else switching?

That's why I don't find the swap suspicious at all..because it *is* so suspicious.

If the production staff wanted to flip Ambuh to the other team, there were easier ways of doing it. Some type of "one player will be forced to switch teams" selection, or a "kidnap" scenario.

02-11-11, 06:49 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
LAST EDITED ON 02-12-11 AT 11:53 AM (EST)

>That's why I don't find the
>swap suspicious at all..because it
>*is* so suspicious.

I have to admit that I like this argument! But, sometimes, if it quacks like a duck it may just be a duck.
(Great! Now I sound like Shannon.)

>If the production staff wanted to
>flip Ambuh to the other
>team, there were easier ways
>of doing it. Some
>type of "one player will
>be forced to switch teams"
>selection, or a "kidnap" scenario.

They eventually did just that in China and the fans really didn't like that swap. But since it was China, season 16, the producers didn't care anymore: The money was flowing in and the fans were drinking the Kool-Aid as if it was wine. I believe that, since Cook Islands, the producers' state of mind is: "Why waste the effort to make Survivor look epic when the fans will eat slop."

Back during the first All-Stars there were many more critics looking at the show, Survivor still had an eye on the emmy, their legacy wasn't assured. I think smoke and mirrors was much more likely than saying straight out: "Romber, you are too insignificant so we can't let you win." Only after their attempt failed due to Lex's stupidity did they decide to make icons out of the couple instead of breaking them up.

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-09-11, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
I tend to look at things with a cynical eye
No, not you michel!

Tyson’s vote against Parvati was so weird that, beyond his explanations, one cannot help but wonder if an interviewer suggested he vote that way.

Excellent point! The way Tyson explained himself made me scratch my head, it was so out of character for him. I could very well believe he was swayed and the later in the game it is the less sharp mentally players are thinking and more easily influenced.

Awesome post overall. How do you keep track of all that detail?
See ya around. ("What if" Marty won?)

A Tribe masterpiece

02-09-11, 07:20 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
LAST EDITED ON 02-09-11 AT 08:48 PM (EST)

Thanks Suzzee.

We made Marty win and that was fun. (Burnett isn't the only one to intervene in the game...)

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-09-11, 09:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
>snort< shhhhh

02-12-11, 04:06 PM (EST)
14. "How could I forget Gabon?!"
Gabon had as much production interference as Cook Islands.

In episode #6 of Gabon, Kenny told Sugar that Ace was lying to her so Sugar went to Ace's bag and took back the idol she had given him. In effect, she stole the idol from the phony British guy which should have been against the rules. However, rules, in Survivor, are only enforced when producers feel like it and their only criteria for deciding is ratings.

Sugar was easier to sell than Ace => Sugar was allowed to screw Ace over.

The Onions were either bland (Marcus) or offensive (Corinne and Randy) so they were screwed over by that fake merge. The challenge that ensued was so obviously made for individuals that you have to realize the tribal swap was a last minute decision.

BTW, Sugar's last minute flip away from Kenny and Crystal to Matty and Bob could have come from her desire to let the "good guys" win or it could have been an actress following the director's instructions. I do see Sugar more as a bad actress.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

02-20-11, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
LAST EDITED ON 02-20-11 AT 12:10 PM (EST)

Nice post michel.

Part of me is cynical. I know that even though reality is not scripted, producers do interfere to create a better show (and most of the time, I probably, unknowingly enjoy their interference). I just don't know how far they've gone. Part of me would like to look at Survivor with rose-colored glasses and say that all those coincidences were just dumb luck. Most likely, some of the instances were producer-related and some weren't. The thing that I still find the oddest is the Amber switch in A$$. It's so odd that I almost think that one was dumb luck!!

Thinking about it some more, the tweaking doesn't bother me nearly as much as the stunt casting of the Russell, Naonka types and the mactors. I read mostly fiction for the enjoyment factor and I watch Survivor for the same reason. The only two "interferences" that really bothered me was losing Aaron to the tribal swap in China and seeing Michelle, one of the few people to cheer for in Fiji, getting hosed in the twist.

02-21-11, 04:25 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Maybe those weird match-ups are dumb luck but every time? Mario Lanza is writing up a new Funny 115, picking up where the first ended and going to S20. His latest entry reminded me of one more such coincidence:

http://mario-stuff.110mb.com/f115/90.htm

Episode 9 Reward during Heroes vs Villains and we are supposed to believe that the following match-ups were done without the players knowing the match-ups:

- Rupert/Sandra
- Colby/Jerri
- JT/Parvati
- Amanda/Courtney
- Candice/Danielle

Granted, it wasn't totally random because the Villains tried to figure out how the Heroes would rank their members from weakest to strongest but having Rupert up against Sandra and particularly Colby against Jerri had to be fixed. Amanda and Courtney wasn't a bad link either.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-11, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Thailand Switch, think about it. They knew they had a faux merge planned. It would have been a high risk betrayal, but any low man on a Tribe's totem pole might have won high reward. They had high hopes for Stephanie, but she got sick, and Shii Ann was a goldmine of verbal gems.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-11, 02:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Oh, and by the way, Pearl Islands premiered 9/18/03, filming began for All-Stars on 11/3/03. Rupert was protected in A-S to the extent that the other players were informed he hadn't won Pearl Islands.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

02-26-11, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."

There are literally hundreds of opportunities for production to affect the outcome every season. Nearly any challenge can be rigged if so desired.

I could see the challenges in Cook Islands and the infamous double boot being to the advantage of the underdog Aitu4, but there was no need for Jonathan to be coaxed into anything. He was separated by age and not treated very well by the Raro4. Yul was shown to be willing to jettison Ozzy if he got a chance. So, with the Aitu4, Jonathan at least had a shot at the F4. If Jonathan stays with the Raro4, they likely vote him out F6 ahead of Sundra. And even if he didn't have a strategical reason to flip, Jonathan wouldn't have been the first or the last person to make a voting decision based off who they preferred to see win the game versus what was best for them.

A pretty powerful piece of evidence in Survivor's favor is that no one has taken a serious case of fraud into court against them. (Forget Stacy, I mean, a SERIOUS case.) It would get plenty of press if anyone did. I don't care how you word a contract. There isn't a contract out there that couldn't be challenged in court if someone thought they weren't given an equal chance to win. That would be fraud.

My girl Laura talked a big game on the radio about RussHell being helped in Samoa, but she never did anything about it, so I believe it was probably more post-game bitterness than anything.

>

02-27-11, 03:53 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
"He was separated by age and not treated very well by the Raro4."

Yet Adam had agreed to his proposed all-white F4 and had voted out Brad, Rebecca and Jenny instead of Jonathan. Jonathan had no chance of beating Yul. Candice and Parvati were better goats.

Why is Stacy not a serious case? Survivor caved in and settled.

Why didn't Laura take them to court? Do you know how expensive it is and how long it would take? Anyway, with the new format of bringing players back every second season, there's an incentive to stay in Survivor's good graces. You should see how careful some players are when they post. Coby realized at one point he would never go back on so he decided to spoil the cast of Heroes vs Villains. Suddenly, many past players, who had been friends with him, acted as if they didn't know him.

02-27-11, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."

It is as serious a case as the plaintiff makes it. Stacy settled and has kept most the details out of the media. That is not very serious.

This is America. There are plenty of people willing to go through the pains of suing, especially when you are talking about something visceral like Survivor and a million dollars.

Maybe Laura's mouth is why she wasn't casted as a hero on H v. V. She was a far better candidate than Candice, who had no BIZNESS being there at all.

>

02-27-11, 06:51 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-11 AT 06:55 PM (EST)

If you think Candice had no business being cast for HvV then maybe you agree with me that she was asked as compensation for interfering with the game during CI?

Actually, the edited version of Candice didn't deserve to return but, out there, they saw she had game, was ready to get involved in a little showmance, was strong in challenges and was willing to make moves. Not bad at all. So much so that they asked her for Fan vs Favorite before asking Parvati as replacement.

The settlement itself prevents Stacy from going public and not many people can win a case when they signed a contract that actually sold their life on the island away. It may also help that they cast so many wannabee actors. CBS is a pretty big player in that industry so you could be sacrificng not only a chance to return to Survivor but of getting any work at all.

ETA: And isn't it interesting that, after Hatch threatened to drag SEG through the mud on his tax evasion case they tried to get him on HvV and, when that didn't work because of a tiny inconvenience called federal laws, Burnett cast him for the Apprentice? You don't see a secret agreement reached between those 2?

03-02-11, 10:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
We might get a chance to see producer's interference at Redemption Island. The challenge today was designed to be even, but if we see a puzzle challenge for someone not that bright, or a balance challenge between a woman and a large man, we'll know that the producer's are interfering to get the result (the "right" person to win) that they want!*

*not my idea. Courtney Yates said it in a podcast with Rob Cesternino recently!

03-03-11, 00:01 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."

We'll get our chance right here with Russell at RI. I would think production would want him back in the game, bad.

>

03-03-11, 00:18 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Since he was discovered as the person that spoiled his two earlier seasons of Survivor, I'm not so sure. He got a horrible edit tonight.

(Why oh why did I have to see his shaved, pus filled arm pit rash in high def tonight??!! )

03-03-11, 08:32 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
You're the one that wanted HD! (But it still wasn't a pretty sight in normal res.) The whole Missyae deal throws a curve ball in this, indeed.

03-03-11, 03:23 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
There should have been a warning at the beginning of the show - Caution: this program contains images people with a weak stomach may not want to see.

03-03-11, 10:10 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Reality? I have Doubts."
Speaking of Redemption Island, I know the odds weren't terrible but they were still only 2 out of 7 and Andrea did get to go see Matt compete. It isn't much but it follows the pattern. Will Rob get to witness Russell's fall?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •