The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Redemption Island."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-20-10, 09:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Redemption Island."
Or as I like to think of it, Outcast stupidity on the installment plan.

Can we talk about time management? This is at least the seconds burn equivalent to getting ExI back -- more if there's a Reuse, Recycle, Redeem For Valuable Prizes challenge to air. And how many of those are there? One-on-one in every episode after the second? Get four together, compete down to one, repeat? Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock? Editing already doesn't care about letting us know who these people are, but we're gonna watch them struggle anyway.

And for what purpose are they struggling? 'You got voted out once. Now you're back. And now we're going to vote you out again.' Although you might make a magnificent goat for a F2, Lil. (Can a boomerang win? Yeah, right, win...) Then again, the returnee might get first-TC-back Immunity, which could grant us the second chance in series history for someone declare a spare. Possibly the third.

Okay -- jury. How long is this Redemption fight going on? Does it continue into the jury assembly stage? Jurors should really attend every Council, so you might want to bring all the Redemption people onto the set so they can listen in. Y'know, things could get crowded... Or do you want the returnee coming in blind as to alliances, prior votes, twists?

Do the rejected even get to talk to each other and compare notes on what's been going on? A returning player could know everything.

And as always, who cares? The way Casting's been going for the last few seasons, none of these idiots are going to be players we even want to see once.

Five-Cent Deposit Island. Because they tried it in an overseas edition. (We're not supposed to know that.) And for EPMB, we're the newest suckers walking by his No-IQ-Monte table.

Turn in five losers to receive a free coupon for more of the same!

And when the first S22 rejectee gets there? 200+ people waiting for hir to show up.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Redemption Island. Snidget 12-20-10 1
   RE: Redemption Island. Estee 12-20-10 2
   RE: Redemption Island. RollDdice 12-21-10 7
 RE: Redemption Island. dabo 12-20-10 3
   RE: Redemption Island. foonermints 12-22-10 11
 RE: Redemption Island. Dakota 12-20-10 4
 RE: Redemption Island. michel 12-20-10 5
   RE: Redemption Island. iltarion 12-21-10 6
       RE: Redemption Island. HDTV 12-21-10 8
           RE: Redemption Island. HDTV 12-22-10 12
               RE: Redemption Island. dabo 12-22-10 14
   RE: Redemption Island. byoffer 12-22-10 13
       RE: Redemption Island. michel 12-23-10 17
 RE: Redemption Island. Molaholic 12-21-10 9
   RE: Redemption Island. Sunny_Bunny 12-22-10 10
 RE: Redemption Island. SpotTheDifference 12-22-10 15
   RE: Redemption Island. iltarion 12-22-10 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-10, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Redemption Island."
LAST EDITED ON 12-20-10 AT 10:07 AM (EST)

Some info on this here

Sounds like at least while Redemption in place, they'll do combined reward/immunity challenges for time management issues.

ETA: another Jiffy link

Sounds like we have at least 6 weeks of RI.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-10, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Redemption Island."
And I Fair Use quote Jiffy:

I do believe you are going to love it.

Give it a chance. Have some faith that we know what you guys want and expect from your favorite show.

If after 6 episodes the majority of you do not love what is happening with Redemption Island, you can let me know and I will vote myself off the show.

How’s that for stakes?

If. You. Knew. What. We. Wanted. You. Wouldn't. Have. Cast. The. Last. Few. Seasons.

Where's his Email address? Phone number? Home? I may have to AI vote this thing. Let's say every banner we fly over his residence counts for twenty...

Only votes cast to coincide with Jeff's beliefs will be counted.

RollDdice 5659 desperate attention whore postings

12-21-10, 03:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Redemption Island."
Snidget - please check your red wavy.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-10, 11:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Redemption Island."
Everyone picks Spock.

You know, I was so happy they got rid of Exile Island. Now they've combined it with their worst twist ever, Ghost Tribe, to form their new worst twist ever.

They need to fire the casting department dammit! Maybe they should have Survivor: The Search For Dan's Hero. Everyone on the cast comes from some little town far out from anything else, they'll all deserve to win or something.

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-10, 02:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Redemption Island."
»Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock?«

No they don't.

Keeper of the NoNice Gorn

Dakota 5643 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-10, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Redemption Island."
I like it. The Survivors won't know who is winning the Redemption Island challenges so they won't know who is coming back or when. Second, the Survivors won't know what the outcasts have told each other and the returning player can choose how to use that info. I hated the Lil F2 finish and never thought Exile Island added much to the game, but this could be interesting. This also means that strong players who get voted out as a threat early might still be a threat.

Oh, this is still Bashers, isn't it. I get a rash from that other place. Ok, so let me add this:

Estee: "And as always, who cares? The way Casting's been going for the last few seasons, none of these idiots are going to be players we even want to see once."

*like*

Tribe's Creativity Overflowing

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-10, 09:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Redemption Island."
Stupid idea. It's really only a way to save the strongest person voted out.

But I did find a few quotes interesting:
"For starters, the voted out contestants will not be eating lots of food with a roof over the heads..."

Back then, we had been told that the Outcasts lived on very small rations. Liars!

"A rule can’t be unfair if you know going in."

Players haven't known the rules going in since Africa's tribal switch and it was never more unfair than with the stupid F3 twist. Players can't strategize if they don't know the rules. A game is a set of rules. It took Burnett 20 seasons to realize that simple fact????

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-21-10, 03:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Redemption Island."

Sounds stupid to me, even if it does mean saving the strong, which would be a positive.

Changing the game too much is the road to jumping the shark. They don't need to change the game. They just need to cast better.

>

HDTV 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-21-10, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HDTV Click to send private message to HDTV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Redemption Island."
I'm not quite sure, but i like this idea.i can just see the cast-a-way voted off, turning around to the group and saying....'i'll be back!'

HDTV 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-22-10, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HDTV Click to send private message to HDTV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Redemption Island."
Can't you see with each cast away that is sent to redemption, has some info about previous tribe members, and it is discusssed and bad mouthed about, and then used by whom ever is redeemed. and, and a very big and, what if they return with an idol in pocket?

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-10, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Redemption Island."
LAST EDITED ON 12-23-10 AT 01:43 AM (EST)

The Book of Redemption! Great idea, and it would give them something to do besides eat, sleep, go to confessional, work on the rock garden, commune with the gods of eccentricity...

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-10, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Redemption Island."
Players haven't known the rules going in since Africa's tribal switch and it was never more unfair than with the stupid F3 twist. Players can't strategize if they don't know the rules. A game is a set of rules. It took Burnett 20 seasons to realize that simple fact????

I whole-heartedly agree with this. As I am learning from my 5-yr-old game nut, rules are very important. (he keeps changing the rules until he wins!)

For Survivor, I would expect that players should know the following going into the game:
- Number who will face the jury. Knowing if it will be 2 or 3 has a huge difference on strategy.
- number who will be on the jury. Again, 7 or 9 makes difference.
- Quitters. I think rules on quitters should be specific. If Sash, for example, though Naonka would never vote for him to win and he knew quitters would not stay on the jury, they he could take actions to lead to her quitting. That would be strategy that I would respect.
- Tribal Swaps. While the random tribal swaps have made the game interesting, I beleive the players should know if swaps are in play from the get-go, even if they don't know timing or mode of swap. I guess by now players who have watch can expect swaps to be involved, but I will always think that Silas was really hurt by that unexpected swap.
- HII. I think they should know if HIIs will be in play, and probably how many.

I don't think a rule that says "Random things can happen" is a valid rule either!

From time to time the show has used random events to mix things up. While maybe not fair for game purists, I guess that makes things interesting, and probably drives up ratings (which is CBS real game).

I will wait to see how the next season goes before judging Redemption. I am curious to see how well it worked in the foreign show that used it, and wonder what rules might be changed from that experience.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-10, 08:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Redemption Island."
You and I are on the same page regarding twists. I don't think keeping some secrets is bad but the twists should be reasonable. Take tribe swaps where most have occured in seasons where production imposed the composition of each tribe at the start. For example:

- Seasons with swaps and imposed tribes: Africa, Marquesas, Amazon, A$$, Vanuatu, Guatemala, China, Fans vs Favorites and Nicaragua.

- Seasons without swaps and where players chose their own teams: Thailand, Palau, Exile island and Cook Islands.

Fiji and Gabon are the only seasons where players chose their teams but still had swaps. Gabon even had 2 swaps which was ridiculous.

We only had Tocantins, Samoa and HvV where the teams were imposed and no swap occured, probably after seeing Gabon's mess.
(Note: I don't count PI which had an even worse twist then a swap)
I'd be expecting a swap if the season didn't start with a pick 'em. It could even be a rule. Something as horrible as a surprise F3 or "eliminate-two-players-for-one-IC-Loss" which can only help the team that is down in numbers, should never be.

As for Survivor South Africa season 1, it was a terrible mess. Dead man's island, which was the same island as Panama's exile island, saw 3 or 4 players live there for a while. 2 Players won a challenge and re-entered the game when it had been narrowed down to only 3 players. Liesel had played a great game but when those two players re-entered, it messed it up completely. She still made it to the F2 but the jury gave the win to the Outcast.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

12-21-10, 11:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Redemption Island."
LAST EDITED ON 12-21-10 AT 11:09 PM (EST)

>Stands in line with the "Don't like it" folks.<

Change for change's sake is dumb

Sunny_Bunny 5581 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-10, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Redemption Island."
Ditto

And changing back to two things viewers thought were lame the first time they were used is even dumber.

SpotTheDifference 906 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-22-10, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SpotTheDifference Click to send private message to SpotTheDifference Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Redemption Island."
LAST EDITED ON 12-22-10 AT 04:08 PM (EST)

From someone who's seen the twist firsthand: I'll give it a shot. It might not feel like Survivor, but really, it's been 10 or so seasons since it's felt like Survivor. It has the potential to work; I've seen it happen.

From what I've seen, the twist doesn't necessarily protect the people who are strong in challenges. The RI/Purgatory Island winner from Survivor Philippines was not your average physical powerhouse. She was a young post-op male-to-female transsexual who impressively beat three buff guys almost twice her size. She managed to make the FTC out of sheer will. She was voted out, learned from her mistakes, returned with vengeance in her head, and played a great game since the merge. She hated everyone for voting her out first and everyone hated her for getting what they thought was a free ride to the merge. She ended up in second place, but her underdog story was very impressive. I really thought she was going to win the whole thing.

Of course, I'm only going by the Survivor Philippines rules. There's a lot of ways Burnett and co. can screw this up. Coming back into the game around merge time is drastically different than returning to join the FTC, for instance. But I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll probably be finishing the season anyway whether I like how the twist turns out or not.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-22-10, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Redemption Island."

Strategy also involves the ability to adapt. A poor strategy is one that is inflexible or accounts for only one possible ending. The best battle plan means nothing after first contact.

Most rules should be made clear, but twists in Survivor are part of the game.

>

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •